International student bank account
Why Westpac Choice?
- Complimentary Student discount card
Take advantage of savings such as up to 40% off international airfares at STA travel as well as discounts at hostels, restaurants, museums and more^
- Pay no monthly service fee for the first 12 months
And if you’re a student you won’t pay any monthly service fee while you’re a full time student or under 21 in Australia
- ATM network at home and overseas
Pay no withdrawal fee at any major bank ATM in Australia (including Westpac, Commonwealth Bank, ANZ, NAB, St.George, Bank of Melbourne and BankSA) and at over 50,000 ATMs globally via the Global ATM Alliance and partner ATMs 1
- 2018 Canstar Bank of the Year - Everyday Banking
Westpac was awarded Bank of the Year - Everyday Banking by Canstar for features that include an outstanding Online Banking platform as well as comprehensive ATM and branch coverage throughout Australia.
- Set up your bank account up to 12 months before coming to Australia, or once you’ve arrived
- No Australian address needed when opening from overseas prior to arrival
- Open an account in 3 min and you’re on your way to depositing money into your account.
Shop and get money out with a Debit Mastercard®
Use your Debit Mastercard®2 to shop securely online, access cash at ATMs and use PayPass™ to tap and go on purchases under $100.
Award winning mobile banking
Our mobile banking app was rated among the best in the world in 2017
Use your phone instead of your card to get out cash
Withdraw cash using your phone from any Westpac, St.George, Bank of Melbourne or BankSA ATM3
Lock your card
Can’t find your card? You can temporarily lock it in seconds with card on hold while you search4
|Standard fees (fees may change)||Amount|
|Online Banking withdrawal||$0|
|Telephone Banking withdrawal (automated or staff assisted)||$0|
|Westpac, St.George, BankSA, Bank of Melbourne ATM withdrawal||$0|
|Non-Westpac, St.George, BankSA, Bank of Melbourne ATMs within Australia cash withdrawal or balance enquiry - however the ATM owner may apply an ATM operator fee||$0|
|Branch staff assisted withdrawal||$0|
|Dishonour of direct debits||$5|
|Periodical payment not made fee||$5|
|Account overdrawn fee||$15|
|Standard fees (fees may change)||Amount|
|Non-Westpac, St.George, BankSA and Bank of Melbourne ATMs within Australia cash withdrawal or balance enquiry - however the ATM owner may apply an ATM operator fee||$0|
|Overseas ATM cash withdrawal from a non-Global Alliance Partner ATM||$5|
|Overseas ATM cash withdrawal from a Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Overseas ATM balance enquiry from a non-Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Overseas ATM balance enquiry from a Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee||Depends on transaction type - see below|
Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee
The Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee is payable and will be incorporated into the $AUD transaction amount shown on your statement. The fee charged will either be:
a) 3% of the $AUD transaction amount where a transaction is made in foreign currency and the merchant or financial institution accepting the card is located outside Australia (comprising of 2% Westpac Processing Fee plus 1% Westpac On-Charged Scheme Fee); or
b) 2.2% of the $AUD transaction amount where a transaction is made in foreign currency and the merchant or financial institution accepting the card is located in Australia (comprising of 2% Westpac Processing Fee plus 0.2% Westpac On-Charged Scheme Fee).
Global Alliance Partners
For more information on participating Global Alliance Partners in designated countries, see Accessing your accounts overseas.
Credit Cardholders who currently withdraw money from linked Westpac account via credit card, it is important to know that this functionality may not be available when using overseas ATMs, including Global Alliance ATMs. To ensure access to Savings and/or Cheque account funds when overseas please speak to us about obtaining a Debit Mastercard®. Go to our Debit Mastercard page or visit a Westpac branch. Terms and Conditions and Fees and charges may apply.
Card on hold
Can’t find your card? Don’t panic, you can temporarily lock it in seconds with Card on Hold while you search7.
Westpac Protect™ SMS Code
Increase your security when banking online by using your mobile phone to confirm certain transactions via text messages.
Safe Online Banking guarantee
If your Westpac account is compromised as a result of Internet fraud, we guarantee to repay any missing funds, providing you comply with our Online Banking Terms and Conditions.
Get a one-year Student Discount Card on us
Open a new Westpac Choice account to get a complimentary Student Discount Card, if you’re a full-time student^ (saving you $30). The card offers savings on thousands of share-worthy travel and local experiences. Like up to 40% off international airfares at STA Travel as well as discounts on hostels, restaurants, museums and more. Conditions apply.^
Things you should know
Before making a decision about any of our products or services, please read all the terms and conditions. Fees and charges apply and may change.
1. Global ATM: A 3% Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee applies to overseas debit or credit card withdrawals. A 2% cash advance fee applies to credit card withdrawals where the "Credit" option is selected. A list of Global Alliance members is available. Excludes American Express® cards. It is important to know that the functionality to withdraw money from a linked Westpac account via Credit Card is not available when using overseas ATMs, including Global Alliance ATMs. To ensure access to Savings and or Cheque account funds when overseas please speak to us about obtaining a Debit Mastercard®.
2. Debit Mastercard: You need to be at least 14 years of age, and have an Australian residential address to be eligible for the card. If you're not eligible for a Debit Mastercard, apply for a Handycard to access your account.
Once you arrive in Australia you can request a Debit Mastercard®. Read the and decide whether the product is right for you.
3. Cardless cash: Get Cash is available on eligible Westpac transaction accounts with a linked debit card. Get Cash limit of 3 withdrawals per day applies, subject to $500 daily withdrawal limit and $1,000 weekly withdrawal limit. Only available at Westpac Group ATMs in Australia. To access Get Cash on your mobile you must be registered to use Westpac Online Banking and download the Westpac Mobile Banking App. To use Westpac Mobile Banking on Apple Watch you’ll need to pair your Apple Watch with an iPhone 5 or above with iOS 8.2 or above. You’ll also need the Westpac Mobile Banking app (version 6.1 or above) installed on your iPhone.
4. Card on hold: Available on personal credit and Mastercard® debit cards only. Cards to which a temporary lock can be applied will be listed when you sign in to Mobile Banking or Online Banking and visit Lock a card temporarily under Cards services.
# Purchases Offer: Excludes customers who hold or have held a Westpac Choice account or a Westpac PayWear™ at any time. To receive up to AUD$50 credited to an everyday account, customers must open a Westpac Choice account online or in an Australian Westpac branch between 13/05/19 and 09/07/2019 (inclusive) and must make at least five (5) eligible purchases using their Westpac Debit Mastercard© within 45 days of account opening (‘eligible customer’). PLUS to receive a bonus AUD$10, eligible customers who also order and use their Westpac PayWear Card to make at least one (1) eligible purchase within 45 days of account opening will receive $10 credited to their everyday account. Eligible purchases: include in-store purchases, online purchases, regular card payments, PayPass, and Google Pay transactions. Offer excludes ATM withdrawals. Eligible customers will receive $50 deposited into their account (or if an eligible customer is also eligible for the bonus $10, $60 deposited into their account) within 60 days of account opening following successful identification verification. Offer limited to one deposit per customer and is not available in conjunction with any other offer. Where a joint account is opened, if one of the joint account holders has already received their deposit in respect of another account, then none of the remaining joint account holders will be eligible for the offer in respect of the joint account. Read the Terms and Conditions available at westpac.com.au, including the Westpac PayWear Terms and Conditions for details, including for fees and charges that may apply, before making a decision and consider if it is right for you.
Westpac PayWear is a registered trademark and PayWear is a trademark of Westpac Banking Corporation.
World Mastercard®, Mastercard® and the Mastercard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of, and PayPassTM is a trademark of, Mastercard International Incorporated.
© Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714.