How We Protect You
Technology Protecting You Every Day
Fraud, Scams and Identity Theft are an everyday risk and we’re here to help. We use technology to constantly monitor transactions and identify risks around the clock so you can feel confident your accounts are secure.
Real Time Checks
Our technology constantly learns from your transaction activity and normal banking behaviour. Getting to know your digital identity allows us to instantly alert on suspicious activity.
Securing your payments online by enforcing that all businesses use a Westpac-accredited Internet Payment System. Find out more.
Digital Card Security
It’s a digital version of your card, but instantly available 24/7 in the Mobile Banking app. Your Digital Cards changes the 3-digit security number every day to ensure your details are kept safe. Find out more.
Working around the clock to find, detect and take down scam websites (and other threats) that target our customers
Our security features
A SecurID® token is a small, portable device that generates a single use digital security code, which you use to securely authorise online transactions.
- Increased security
- The ability to instantly reset your Westpac Live password online
- Access to an higher Daily Payment Limit (compared to SMS code as your security device)
- The ability to update your contact details online.
- Keep your token secure. If you lose your token, contact us immediately to replace it.
Administrators of Business networks can register their users for SecurID® Code by selecting 'User administration', from the 'Services and preferences' tab once signed in, then click the arrow button next to the user's name and select the SecurID® token option. Then follow the simple step-by-step instructions. If the user is already registered for a device, click more features link then 'security device'.
There are many different types of credit card fraud, but at its simplest, is when someone obtains your card details and makes transactions on your card without you knowing
You may not be aware that your card has been used fraudulently until:
- You receive your statement and find there are transactions that you didn’t make
- Our Fraud Detection Team advises you on unusual activity on your card and asks if the charges are yours
- We send you an SMS (text) to confirm a transaction, and ask you to text back with your confirmation.
- We’ll stop your card and companion cards (and the card of any additional cardholders) and issue new cards
- We will provide you with a case number and send you a 'Transaction Investigation Request' form which outlines the list of transactions you believe are fraudulent
- You’ll need to confirm the details and sign the form then return it to us within 14 days of receipt
- We’ll complete the investigation and if the decision is in your favour, refund the fraudulent transactions. Cases can take up to 21 working days to be resolved.
Your Online Banking with us, is protected by our market-leading technology Westpac Protect™ Adaptive Authentication – a comprehensive, real-time, authentication and fraud detection platform that monitors your banking behaviour.
This allows us to get to know your digital identity, making it easier for us to detect unusual activity and alert you to it. It also makes your online banking easier and more streamlined, by minimising the need for security codes to be entered, when we are confident it’s you performing the activity. We may still ask you for a code if we think something isn't quite right.
SecurID Tokens® and Westpac Protect™ SMS Code are part of our Adaptive Authentication technology and are measures we use to keep you safe.
Qualifying for Westpac’s security guarantees
Your Online Banking and Credit Card transactions have unique security guarantees, helping to protect you from fraud. Fraud is when someone gains access to your accounts or details for the purpose of making illegal transactions.
Online Banking Security Guarantee*
- Have not shared your sign in details or security codes
- Have not voluntarily participated in the transaction
- Immediately informed us of any unauthorised activity
Fraud Money Back Guarantee
- Unauthorised transaction made without your knowledge
- Reported promptly within your billing cycle
- Have not voluntarily agreed to the transaction
Supporting your recovery
Scams are when you are tricked into sending money or information to someone who you think is offering a genuine product. 40% of Australians have reported being scammed at least once. Reporting a scam quickly gives us the best chance of disputing the transaction. This also allows us to update our staff and customers so that we can minimise the chance the scammer can deceive other
Report a scam
- Report suspicious activity now to 132 032 (or +61 2 9293 9270 if overseas).
- Report suspicious emails or scam details to email@example.com
- Report suspicious SMS messages by forwarding the hoax SMS message to 0497 132 032 and then delete the message.
- If you clicked on a link provided in hoax email or SMS, it's possible your security could've been compromised. In that case, contact us immediately on 132 032
Things you should know
*Our Online Banking Security Guarantee is not applicable to Corporate Online Banking.