Westpac Choice for migrants
Why Westpac Choice?
- Debit Mastercard®
Use your Debit Mastercard ®1 to shop securely online, access cash at ATMs and use PayPass™ to tap and go on purchases under $100.
- ATM network at home and overseas
Pay no withdrawal fee at any major bank ATM in Australia (including Westpac, Commonwealth Bank, ANZ, NAB, St.George, Bank of Melbourne and BankSA) and at over 50,000 ATMs globally via the Global ATM Alliance and partner ATMs (other fees may apply) 2
- 2018 Canstar Bank of the Year - Everyday Banking
Westpac was awarded Bank of the Year - Everyday Banking by Canstar for features that include an outstanding Online Banking platform as well as comprehensive ATM and branch coverage throughout Australia.
- Set up your bank account up to 12 months before coming to Australia, or once you’ve arrived
- No Australian address needed when opening from overseas prior to arrival
- Open an account in 3 min and you’re on your way to depositing money into your account.
Award winning mobile banking
Our mobile banking app was rated among the best in the world in 2017 by Forrester Research (Global Mobile Banking Functionality Benchmark)
Withdraw cash using your phone from any Westpac, St.George, Bank of Melbourne or BankSA ATM3
Make purchases with Google Pay™ by simply tapping your mobile at contactless terminals4.
Get $50 when you open a new Westpac Choice account
Apply online by 12 May 2019. Make 5 eligible purchases within 90 days.
|Standard fees (fees may change)||Amount|
|Online Banking withdrawal||$0|
|Telephone Banking withdrawal (automated or staff assisted)||$0|
|Westpac, St.George, BankSA, Bank of Melbourne ATM withdrawal||$0|
|Non-Westpac, St.George, BankSA, Bank of Melbourne ATMs within Australia cash withdrawal or balance enquiry - however the ATM owner may apply an ATM operator fee||$0|
|Periodical payments (Additional fees apply for periodical payments made by bank cheque and international periodical payments)||$0|
|Branch staff assisted withdrawal||$0|
|Dishonour of cheques written or direct debits||$5
|Periodical payment not made fee||$5|
|Account overdrawn fee||$15|
|Standard fees (fees may change)||Amount|
|Overseas ATM balance enquiry from a non-Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Overseas ATM balance enquiry from a Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Overseas ATM cash withdrawal from a non-Global Alliance Partner ATM||$5|
|Overseas ATM cash withdrawal from a Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee||Depends on transaction type - see below|
Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee
The Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee is payable and will be incorporated into the $AUD transaction amount shown on your statement. The fee charged will either be:
a) 3% of the $AUD transaction amount where a transaction is made in foreign currency and the merchant or financial institution accepting the card is located outside Australia (comprising of 2% Westpac Processing Fee plus 1% Westpac On-Charged Scheme Fee); or
b) 2.2% of the $AUD transaction amount where a transaction is made in foreign currency and the merchant or financial institution accepting the card is located in Australia (comprising of 2% Westpac Processing Fee plus 0.2% Westpac On-Charged Scheme Fee).
Global Alliance Partners
For more information on participating Global Alliance Partners in designated countries, see Accessing your accounts overseas.
Credit Cardholders who currently withdraw money from linked Westpac account via credit card, it is important to know that this functionality may not be available when using overseas ATMs, including Global Alliance ATMs. To ensure access to Savings and/or Cheque account funds when overseas please speak to us about obtaining a Debit Mastercard®. Go to our Debit Mastercard page or visit a Westpac branch. Terms and Conditions and Fees and charges may apply.
Card on hold
Can’t find your card? Don’t panic, you can temporarily lock it in seconds with Card on Hold while you search7.
Westpac Protect™ SMS Code
Increase your security when banking online by using your mobile phone to confirm certain transactions via text messages.
Safe Online Banking guarantee
If your Westpac account is compromised as a result of Internet fraud, we guarantee to repay any missing funds, providing you comply with our Online Banking Terms and Conditions.
Open a new Westpac Choice account to get a complimentary Student or Youth Discount Card, if you’re a full-time student or under 31^ (saving you $30). The cards offer savings on thousands of share-worthy travel and local experiences. Like up to 40% off international airfares at STA Travel as well as discounts on hostels, restaurants, museums and more. Conditions apply.^
Things you should know
Before making a decision about any of our products or services, please read all the terms and conditions. Fees and charges apply and may change.
1. Debit Mastercard: You need to be at least 14 years of age, and have an Australian residential address to be eligible for the card. If you're not eligible for a Debit Mastercard, apply for a Handycard to access your account.
Once you arrive in Australia you can request a Debit Mastercard®. Read the and decide whether the product is right for you.
2. Global ATM: A 3% Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee applies to overseas debit or credit card withdrawals. A 2% cash advance fee applies to credit card withdrawals where the "Credit" option is selected. A list of Global Alliance members is available. It is important to know that the functionality to withdraw money from a linked Westpac account via Credit Card is not available when using overseas ATMs, including Global Alliance ATMs. To ensure access to Savings and or Cheque account funds when overseas please speak to us about obtaining a Debit Mastercard®.
3. Cardless cash: Get Cash is available on eligible Westpac transaction accounts with a linked debit card. Get Cash limit of 3 withdrawals per day applies, subject to $500 daily withdrawal limit and $1,000 weekly withdrawal limit. Only available at Westpac Group ATMs in Australia. To access Get Cash on your mobile you must be registered to use Westpac Online Banking and download the Westpac Mobile Banking App. To use Westpac Mobile Banking on Apple Watch you’ll need to pair your Apple Watch with an iPhone 5 or above with iOS 8.2 or above. You’ll also need the Westpac Mobile Banking app (version 6.1 or above) installed on your iPhone.
4. Google Pay: Read the Terms and Conditions before making a decision and consider if it is right for you. Available for eligible cards. To use Google Pay you will need to use a compatible device with a supported operating system.
5. Pay to Mobile: Australian bank accounts only. Terms, Conditions and Limits apply.
6. Finger print login: Fingerprint sign in is available on compatible devices only. Customers must be registered for Westpac online banking and have set up fingerprint ID to use the service.
7. Westpac Fraud Money Back Guarantee: Customers will be reimbursed for any unauthorised transactions provided that the customer has not contributed to the loss and contacted Westpac promptly.
8. Card on hold: Available on personal credit and Mastercard® debit cards only. Cards to which a temporary lock can be applied will be listed when you sign in to Mobile Banking or Online Banking and visit Lock a card temporarily under Cards services.
^New Westpac Choice customers only. Offer available for full time students, or customers aged 31 years and under. This offer is valid for 90 days from the date your new Westpac Choice account is opened and you are required to have your ID verified before claiming this offer. This offer only provides you the first year ISIC membership valued at $30. The STA Travel voucher is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and can be used at any local STA Travel store and not online.
# $50 Offer: Excludes customers who hold or have held a Westpac Choice account at any time. To receive $50 credited to an everyday account, people moving to Australia or who have arrived in the last 12 months must open a Westpac Choice Migrant account online between 04/04/19 and 12/05/19 (inclusive) using the form at westpac.com.au/newarrivalsform; and make at least five (5) eligible purchases with a Westpac Debit Mastercard® within 90 days of account opening. Eligible purchases: include in-store purchases, online purchases, regular card payments, PayPass, and Google Pay transactions. Offer excludes ATM and cash withdrawals as these are not eligible purchases. Eligible customers will receive $50 deposited into their account within 105 days of account opening following successful identification verification online or in an Australian branch. Offer limited to one $50 deposit per eligible customer. Where a joint account is opened, if one of the joint account holders has already received their $50 deposit in respect of another account, then none of the remaining joint account holders will be eligible for the offer in respect of the joint account.
© Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714.
Mastercard is a registered trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.