What is PayID?
- A PayID is a unique, easy to remember identifier, such as a mobile number, that is linked to an eligible account.
- Payments to PayIDs are fast Osko payments, which means they are received in near real-time, 24/7 even between customers of different banks*. Payments to PayIDs can also include a longer payment description#.
- When making a payment to a PayID, the PayID name will be displayed letting you check the payee before confirming the payment.
Receive payments to your PayID
You can register your mobile number as a PayID, then share it with people who need to pay you instead of needing to remember your BSB and account number.
Send payments to PayIDs
Payments can be made to the following PayID types: mobile number, email address, ABN (which includes ACN, ARBN and ARSN), phone number and Organisation ID.
Osko payments and payments to PayIDs are made through Westpac Online Banking and are subject to Westpac’s own real-time, fraud screening and detection and are covered by the Online Banking Security Guarantee.
How to create a PayID
In the Westpac App
Before trying these instructions make sure you update to the latest version of the app.
- Search PayID in the Smart Search bar
- Tap Register now
In Online Banking
- Go to Service > Services > Account services
- Select PayID/Pay to mobile
- Select Register
Watch our helpful step-by-step video
As a business you need to constantly be on the lookout for scams.
Business Email Compromise scam is one of the most common types.
It’s when criminals impersonate you or someone from your business or one of your suppliers using similar names, domains, or fake invoices.
The scammer might:
Pretend to be you, invoice a customer or a supplier, and have a payment made to their account details, rather than yours or,
Pretend to be a CEO or employee from another company to get a payment from you or,
Pretend to be an employee and have a salary payment redirected.
There’s a quick and easy way to make payments safer: Register for a PayID using your ABN. So, if a customer or supplier uses your PayID they’ll be able to verify it’s your business. PayID doesn’t replace your BSB and account number, it’s just a safer way to pay because your customers will be sure they are paying you and only you.
To set up PayID head to the Westpac app
Search for PayID
More information about how to create a PayID will appear on screen. Make sure you’re registered for Westpac Protect™ SMS Code or SecureID token and have an eligible account.
Your ABN and name will appear based on what we have on record.
You can select your ABN as your PayID type. This will mean that your PayID display name (or what will be returned to the customer) will be the legal name of your business, rather than its trading name.
Select the account you wish to add PayID to. As a sole trader you can register up to two different PayIDs if you two different business accounts and want one for each.
Then check the details and confirm you want to create a PayID.
PayID is now set up for your business!
Ask your existing customers or suppliers to use your PayID wherever possible.
And when paying someone new, protect yourself by asking them for their PayID (or BPay billing code).
For other ways to stay smart, safe, and secure from scammers visit the Westpac Security Hub.
Website link appears on screen - www.westpac.com.au/security
ABN PayID registration
You can register an ABN as your PayID. So when customers need to pay you, they can use your ABN instead of your BSB and account number. Your PayID doesn’t replace your BSB and account number, it’s just an easier way to pay.
Paying to PayIDs
You can also pay other businesses and organisations through Online Banking, using their PayID. A PayID could be a mobile number, email address, Organisation ID or ABN (which includes ACN, ARBN and ARSN).
How will PayID and fast payments help my business?
Manage your cash flow better
- Get access to money fast through the receipt of cleared funds in near real-time.
- Hold onto your money longer by paying in real-time on the due date.
Reduce payment errors
PayID payments will automatically display the recipient name before you authorise the payment. This may reduce the potential for misdirected payments.
Payers will have more room to provide information to help you easily identify specific transactions. This may save time on reconciliations and allow you more time to focus on your business.
What do I need to do?
- Sign in to Online Banking to create your ABN PayID
- Learn more about the New Payments Platform (NPP), PayID and Osko for Business customers
- Have a question? See the NPP, PayID & Osko Frequently Asked Questions.
What is Osko?
- Osko by BPAY® allows near real-time payments to be made between eligible accounts at participating financial institutions, 24/7 – even on weekends and public holidays.
- Payments to PayIDs are fast Osko payments.
- Payments to a BSB and account numbers will automatically be processed by Westpac Online Banking as an Osko payment if:
- you have an eligible Osko account
- your payee has an eligible Osko account and the payment is dated today (not a future dated or recurring payment)
- You will see the transaction appear with a payment method of Osko or the Osko logo when you make or receive an Osko payment.
Things you should know
*Fast or real-time payments are sent and received using Osko by BPAY® and can be addressed to either a PayID or a BSB and account number. Real-time payments require both the payer and payee to have Osko enabled accounts. Payments may take longer in some instances, such as where there is a technical interruption to the service, there is a payment to a first time payee or when the payment is caught for additional security screening.
Personal customers can send and receive fast Osko payments to and from participating financial institutions with an eligible account (i.e. a personal transaction account).
The PayID types available to you may vary depending on your customer profile. If you register your mobile as a PayID, it needs to be the same as your SMS Protect CodeTM.
When your PayID is registered, your details (including your name) will be available to people who use the service and enter your mobile phone PayID.
Westpac Mobile Banking applications are only available for use by Westpac Australia customers. Internet connection is needed to access Westpac Online Banking and the Westpac App. Normal mobile data charges apply.
# Up to 280 characters. Please note emojis and Chinese characters will result in an error message.
1.Online Banking Security Guarantee.
If your Westpac account is compromised as a result of internet fraud, we will repay any missing funds providing you comply with our .
This includes keeping your sign-in details (including passwords, Westpac Protect™ SMS codes and SecurID® Token codes) private. The Terms and Conditions explain the features, benefits, risks, fees and charges for Online Banking. You must inform us immediately if you suspect the security of your access details has been compromised or you suspect an unauthorised transaction or potentially fraud on your accounts. Always adhere to manufacturers’ software and support to ensure your mobile devices are covered by the latest software and security updates.
BPAY® and Osko® are registered trademarks of BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518.