Banking in Australia
If you are moving to Australia or have recently arrived, Westpac can help.
Opening a bank account in Australia
As Australia's first bank, we have been helping our customers bank securely for nearly 200 years. Our dedicated Migrant Banking specialists offer personal support to assist you with your banking needs while you settle into your new home.
Why bank with Westpac?
- Apply online in less than 5 minutes
- No Australian address needed to apply. You will need to complete an identity check before you can withdraw funds from your account
- Westpac Choice bank account awarded 5 stars for outstanding value for a "Transactor - Full Service account" by CANSTAR, an independent financial data provider
Westpac Choice account
Westpac Choice account comes with the following services to help you bank with ease:
- Westpac Debit MasterCard® 2 if you live in Australia
- Westpac Online Banking + Mobile Banking
- eStatements for easier banking
$0 monthly service fee for the first 12 months (other fees apply)
Online and Mobile Banking offering a range of enhanced features to help bank on the go1
No withdrawal fee at over 3,000 Westpac, St.George, Bank of Melbourne and BankSA ATMs in Australia
Westpac eSaver account
When opening your Westpac Choice account, kick start your savings in Australia with a competitive online savings account:
- Competitive interest rate on savings
- No monthly service fee3
- Unlimited access via your linked Westpac Choice account1
- No minimum deposit or monthly balance
Want more info about moving to Australia or living in Australia?
Select one of the following for specific information that relates to you:
Things you should know
Before making a decision about any of our products or services, please read all the terms and conditions. Fees and charges apply and may change.
1. You will be required to complete an identity check prior to being able to make withdrawals from your account.
2. Debit MasterCard holders need to be at least 16 years of age, and have an Australian residential address to be eligible for the card. If you're not eligible for a Debit MasterCard, apply for a Handycard to access your account.
3. To hold a Westpac eSaver, customers must hold a Westpac transaction or savings account in the same name. Fees may apply on the other account.