We use the latest technology to keep your cards secure
We have a number of processes and best practice solutions in place to help protect our customers and reduce incidents of fraud. These include:
- CardShield® - guards you against fraudulent activity
- Online Transaction Security Guarantee - we guarantee you will not be liable for the amount of any online transaction made without your knowledge or consent providing we are notified of that transaction before the due date shown on the card account statement
- 24/7 fraud protection - this monitors every transaction for irregular activity. If a suspicious transaction is detected, our fraud specialists will call you to verify it.
- CHIP technology
- Westpac's Added Online Security
Use the latest security feature - CHIP technology
We will gradually upgrade existing Westpac Visa and Mastercard® credit cards to feature an embedded microchip that will give you access to the latest in credit card security.
Why CHIP technology provides more security for your card
CHIP technology uses a security microchip embedded in your credit card to securely store your personal data (e.g. your name, card number and expiry date) rather than storing it on the magnetic stripe on the back of the card.
CHIP is a more effective counter-measure against counterfeit and skimming fraud. The microchip stores information more securely than the magnetic stripe, which makes it far harder to fraudulently copy your credit card details.
You still need your magnetic stripe on your card to support terminals that haven't yet been upgraded to CHIP technology.
When you'll receive your CHIP card
Westpac Visa and Mastercard cards are being progressively migrated to CHIP.
When we send you your new Westpac CHIP card, the accompanying letter and information leaflet will clearly state that it's a CHIP card. You will also be able to see the CHIP on your card - a small metallic square on the left-hand side of your card above your card number.
When you receive the card, you must:
- Sign your new CHIP card immediately
- Start using it immediately for all new purchases
- Ensure your old card is disposed of securely. We recommend that you cut it up into small pieces before disposing of it.
Westpac's Added Online Security
Get extra security when you shop at participating online retailers with Verified by Visa or Mastercard SecureCode™ through the Westpac Added Online Security service.
You need a new PIN to use an ATM or use your card overseas
If you want to use your new CHIP card to withdraw cash from ATMs, you will need a new PIN. Your CHIP card can be used in ATMs in Australia and overseas.
We recommend that you always know your PIN when travelling overseas. You can use your CHIP card in the same locations overseas as your current card and in exactly the same way as your current card.
PINs for business customers
If you currently use a PIN, we will automatically re-issue you with a new one. This will be sent to you within 10 days of receiving your new CHIP card. You can continue to use your existing credit card and current PIN until this new PIN is issued.
- Business customers: If you currently do not use a PIN, call us on 1300 130 961 and we will send you one.
What happens if I key in the incorrect PIN?
You can make 3 attempts to key in your PIN and then it will be blocked. It can be reset at any Westpac branch when you bring in your new CHIP card and photo identification.
If you are overseas and block your PIN, call our overseas customer service number and we will arrange for a new PIN to be sent to your location:
- Altitude Business: +61 2 9155 7700
BusinessChoice Rewards Platinum and Everyday: +61 2 9155 7700
You can change your PIN to a number that best suits you
Go to any Westpac branch where a member of staff will help you change your PIN. You just need to bring in your new CHIP card and photo identification.
What will be different when I use my new CHIP card?
Until merchants upgrade to the new technology, you will continue to swipe your card and sign receipts. Once the technology has been upgraded, there will be slight differences to the way your payment is processed:
- You will insert your CHIP card into the payment terminal and leave it there throughout the transaction process
- You can enter your PIN to authorise the transaction and your card will be removed.
Things you should know
World Mastercard®, Mastercard® and the Mastercard brand mark are registered trademarks, and PayPass is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.