Complimentary means partially
It's a good idea to check before leaving what's actually covered in any complimentary insurance policy, and what the exclusions or limits might be. Depending on your destinations and time away, this cover may not fully meet your needs.
Such policies can differ markedly between card schemes and the underwriters providing the ‘complimentary’ cover. General elements to consider include:
- Age – eligibility usually capped at around 80, or reduced cover for older applicants. Some card providers have no age limit.
- Activation – usually a minimum spend on the card directly attributable to the overseas trip, like prepaid flight costs, accommodation, tours etc. Spend requirements might range between $250 and $1000 for each traveller covered by the policy, or in some cases, be a set percentage of your pre-departure spend.
- Excess – Generally ranges from $100 to $250
- Spouse and dependents – if above conditions met by the primary cardholder, then their spouse and/or dependent children undertaking the exact same trip could also be covered if the same activation (card use) conditions are also met.
Prefer comprehensive over complimentary?
In many instances, and for more flexible options (plus greater peace of mind), full travel insurance cover might be the way to go before you go.
We can help organise your own travel insurance that covers a range of events and inclusions:
- 24 hour medical and travel assistance
- Unlimited cover for overseas medical expenses
- Cover for luggage, credit card and travellers cheques
- Cancelled travel and accommodation overseas, and more.
Find out more about Westpac Travel Insurance.
Things you should know
Complimentary insurance covers for Westpac issued cards: AWP Australia Pty Ltd, ABN 52 097 227 177, AFSL 245631, of 74 High Street, Toowong, QLD 4066 (trading as Allianz Global Assistance) under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850, AFSL 234708, has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac), of 275 Kent Street, Sydney, NSW 2000 which allows eligible Westpac account holders and cardholders to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. The terms, conditions, limits and exclusions of the group policy are set out in the Westpac Credit Cards Complimentary Insurance Policy which may be amended from time to time. Westpac does not guarantee the insurance.