Let us know when and where you are going
Always let us know when you’re travelling overseas and intend to use your credit card. We'll record your travel details and monitor the security of your credit cards while you're away.
You can call us on:
- 1300 651 089 (within Australia)
- +61 2 9155 7700 (from overseas)
- Black cardholders can call 1300 651 999 or +61 2 9155 7711 (from overseas).
Keeping transactions safe and secure
Westpac credit cards are protected by CardShield™, which includes fraud detection, Online Protection and CHIP security features. Where possible, use a PIN instead of your signature to verify credit card purchases.
Our Westpac Added Online Security Service also protects you when you’re shopping online with participating online retailers. Make sure you keep your mobile phone number and email address up to date.
Save on fees with our Global ATM Network
You can use your credit card to make purchases or withdraw cash at ATMs while you are overseas.
There’s nothing like the Global ATM Alliance to keep you going. If you need to take out cash from your credit card account (known as a cash advance) whilst overseas, you will pay no ATM withdrawal fees at Westpac’s Global ATM Alliance partners, including Barclays, Deutsche, Bank of America and more. And just like at home, you can use the Westpac mobile banking app ATM locator to find the nearest Global Alliance ATM to where you are – you can even track it down before you leave home. Other fees and charges apply to cash advance transactions, please refer to westpac.com.au/creditcards for fee details.
Be aware though that the following fees and charges are charged when withdrawing cash from ATMs overseas:
- Westpac will charge a $5 fee when you withdraw money from ATMs not part of our Global ATM Alliance. However, checking your account balance is free and account balances will be displayed in local currency.
- Some overseas banks may apply an additional fee for ATM withdrawals. This should be brought to your attention before you proceed with the transaction and can be avoided by using one of our Global ATM Alliance partner ATMs.
- A Foreign Transaction Fee is payable as a percentage of the Australian dollar value of any Foreign Transaction. The percentage will vary depending on the applicable credit card scheme:
- Transactions in foreign currency
- Visa and Mastercard®: 3.0%
- Transactions in Australian dollars and the merchant or financial institution accepting the card is located overseas:
- Visa and Mastercard®: 3.0%
Note: It may not always be clear to you that the Merchant or entity processing the transaction is located outside Australia.
Check your card expiry date
Make sure your credit card isn’t due to expire while you’re overseas. If your card will expire while you’re away, give us a call on 1300 651 089 before you leave.
Check your insurance
You can obtain written confirmation of eligibility for cover for your overseas journey from the issuer of the insurance, AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 AFSL 245631, trading as Allianz Global Assistance (AGA), under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, based on the answers you give AGA, by applying online at: checkyourcover.com.au/westpac. If you provide AGA with incorrect answers to the questions we ask you, you may not be eligible for cover under the group policy issued to Westpac.4
Make sure you know how to contact us in an emergency
For lost or stolen cards:
Please note that calls made from mobile phones or hotel rooms may attract additional charges.
Things you should know
4. Complimentary insurance covers: AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 AFSL 245631, trading as Allianz Global Assistance (AGA), under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 (Allianz), has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac) which allows eligible persons to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. Access to the benefit of cover under the Credit Card Complimentary Insurance is provided to eligible Westpac cardholders by operation of s48 of the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth). If an eligible persons wishes to claim any of these benefits, they will be bound by the eligibility criteria, terms, conditions, limits and exclusions contained in the which may be amended from time to time. This insurance is underwritten by Allianz. Westpac does not guarantee this insurance. This information does not take your personal objectives, circumstances or needs into account. Consider its appropriateness to these factors before acting on it.