Important: To make a claim on the credit card complimentary insurance, we encourage you go online to https://insurance.agaassistance.com.au/westpac. Claims can be lodged online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For information about the impact of COVID-19 on overseas travel insurance refer to the FAQs here.
Allianz Global Assistance Travel Updates
In addition to the Westpac Credit Cards Complimentary Insurance Policy 4, please consider Allianz Global Assistance travel updates that may impact your cover.
Complimentary overseas travel insurance 4, commonly known as credit card travel Insurance, is part of the complimentary insurance covers we have available to Westpac cardholders on selected personal credit cards.
Is my overseas trip covered?
As a cardholder of an eligible Westpac credit card you are eligible for complimentary Overseas Travel Insurance4 cover, provided:
1. You either permanently reside in Australia or hold a current and valid residency Visa and reside in Australia; and
2. You spend at least $A500 on your prepaid travel costs (i.e. your travel costs that you pay for before leaving Australia) and you charge these costs to an eligible credit card issued by Westpac. This could include return travel tickets, airport or departure taxes, overseas accommodation etc.; and
3. You have a return overseas travel ticket before departing Australia; and
4. You are not over 80 years of age when you first become eligible for this cover by meeting the above conditions.
Please note for overseas travel insurance, the cover is only available to persons up to and including 80 years of age.
If the cardholder is eligible for the overseas travel insurance as outlined above, the cardholder’s, spouse and/ or dependent children who are travelling with the cardholder for the entire journey become eligible for this overseas travel insurance when, before leaving Australia on an overseas journey, the cardholder’s spouse and/or dependant children have a return overseas travel ticket, and A$500 of each of their prepaid travel costs(ie costs of their return overseas travel ticket; and/or airport/departure taxes; and/or their prepaid overseas accommodation/travel; and/or their prepaid overseas itinerary items) has been charged to the cardholder’s eligible credit card.
Dependent children, under the age of two years as at the date the journey commences become eligible for this Overseas travel insurance, once the cardholder becomes eligible for this Overseas travel insurance, provided that the dependent child is travelling with the cardholder for the entire journey.
To be covered, you don’t need to let us or Allianz Global Assistance know that you’re going overseas – provided you meet the conditions in accordance with the insurance policy, you’re automatically covered.
- Medical and hospital expenses incurred overseas, subject to an exclusion for pre-existing conditions.
- Loss or damage to personal property
- Personal liability cover
- Rental vehicle excess cover for loss or damage to rental vehicle
- Unexpected cancellation of travel arrangements and other unexpected expenses.
What isn’t covered?
Please refer to your cards Complimentary Insurance policy or download below for more information about what is and isn’t covered.
It's a good idea to check before leaving what's actually covered in any complimentary insurance policy, and what the exclusions or limits might be. Depending on your destinations and time away, this cover may not fully meet your needs.
Exclusions or limits will apply if you have a pre-existing medical condition
Which cards offer complimentary overseas travel cover?
The following cards offer up to 6 months complimentary cover:
- Altitude Black
- Earth Black (no longer for sale)
- Singapore Airlines Westpac Platinum (no longer for sale).
- 55 Day Platinum
The following card offers up to 3 months complimentary cover:
Making a claim
If you want to make a claim under this policy, you must:
Whilst you are overseas:
- Phone: +61 7 3305 7468
- Online: insurance.agaassistance.com.au/westpac
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In order for Allianz Global Assistance to confirm your eligibility for overseas travel insurance, you will need to have copies of the documents listed in the .
If you are in Australia, (or when you return to Australia) you must follow the steps listed below.
Contact Allianz Global Assistance on 1800 091 710 within 30 days or as soon as possible of returning home from overseas or interstate (even if you have previously reported the matter to Allianz Global Assistance), or if you are already home, contact us within 30 days or as soon as possible of learning of an occurrence (loss, damage or breakdown) that may result in a claim.
Want to know more?
You can find out more about making a claim in the Westpac Credit Cards Complimentary Insurance Policy. The Allianz Global Assistance website also has helpful FAQs and claims forms you can download.
Zero foreign transaction fees when you use your travel money card to spend
With the Westpac Worldwide Wallet, there are also no load, reload or unload fees and you can top up or unload at any time from anywhere in the world via the Westpac App.
Things you should know
4. Complimentary insurance covers: AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 AFSL 245631 (trading as Allianz Global Assistance) under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac) which allows eligible Westpac cardholders to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. Any advice on insurance is general advice only and not based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. The terms, conditions, limits and exclusions of the group policy are set out in the which may be amended from time to time. Westpac does not guarantee this insurance.