Your privacy is important to us, and so is being transparent about how we collect, use, and share your personal data. ‘Personal data’ means any information relating to you where you are either identified or identifiable directly from that information or indirectly from that information in combination with other information. This Privacy Notice is intended to help you understand our processing of your personal data (which includes collection, use, sharing, storage and other operations we perform in relation to your personal data). Where you provide personal data about other individuals, you must tell those individuals that you have supplied their information to us and make them aware of the content of this Privacy Notice.
What type of personal data do we collect and hold relating to you?
We collect the following types of personal data:
- Date of Birth
- Telephone/Fax Number
- Address Details (residential, mailing and email)
- Employee ID
- Westpac customer number
- Employer Details
If you do not give us all the personal data we require, we may need to reject your application, or we may no longer be able to provide a product or service to you.
How do we collect your personal data?
We may collect your personal data directly from you or indirectly, in certain circumstances we may collect personal data about you from third parties (e.g. other Westpac Group companies, your employer or from publicly available sources). We collect personal data directly from you when we process your application, provide you with and manage your product or service.
Why is your personal data being collected?
This section sets out the purposes for which we collect your personal data, and the grounds on which we are authorised to collect it. To understand why we are authorised to collect your personal data, which may include a legitimate interest to process your personal data, please refer to the information provided on these points in our ‘EU Data Protection Policy’. To access our ‘EU Data Protection Policy’, please refer to the ‘Further Information’ section on the next page. In the event that we intend to use your personal data for any other purpose, we will provide you with information on the new purpose or provide you with an updated Privacy Notice before using your personal data in this way.
We are allowed to use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- We collect your personal information in order to provide products and services that you have requested
Who do we share your personal data with?
We may share your personal data with companies within the Westpac Group. We may also provide your personal datato organisations outside the Westpac Group (some of which are located outside of Australia or the European Economic Area). These organisations may include: MasterCard, Idemia and Fuji Xerox.
How do we secure your personal data?
We use a range of physical, electronic and other security measures to protect the security, confidentiality and integrity of the personal data we hold. For example:
- access to our information systems is controlled through identity and access management controls;
- employees and our contracted service providers are bound by internal information security policies and are required to keep information secure;
- all employees are required to complete training about information security; and
- we regularly monitor and review our compliance with internal policies and industry best practice.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you have with us has been compromised), please immediately contact us (please refer to the ‘How to contact us?’ section).
Where do we store your personal data?
We store your personal data in Australia. We may also provide your personal data to organisations outside the Westpac Group (some of which are located outside of Australia or the European Economic Area) in order to provide products and services that you have requested.
Where we disclose your personal information to a recipient located outside Australia, these recipients may include the following:
- Westpac Group companies located in Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Singapore, New Zealand, United States, United Kingdom, Fiji and Papua New Guinea;
- our contracted service providers operating in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, United States, India, the Philippines, United Kingdom, Malaysia, Brazil and China;
- organisations with whom we partner to provide goods and services and who are likely to be located in Australia and the United States; and
- for international transactions, where we consider it necessary, we may disclose your personal information to the corresponding international party in order to process the transaction. The countries we disclose your personal information to will depend on the details of the transaction you ask us to carry out.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We retain your personal data until such time as the purpose of processing has been achieved or for any period of time specified by applicable law, whichever is the greater. If we no longer need to use your personal data for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify your personal data.
What are your rights?
- how you can request access to or correct the personal data we hold about you;
- how you can make a complaint where you have concerns about our handling of your personal data (including where you believe there has been a breach of the local privacy law), and how we will deal with your complaint.
If you are not satisfied about how we are processing your personal data, or you would like to make a complaint, please contact us (see the ‘How to contact us?’ section).
We will let you know if we need any further information from you to resolve your complaint. We aim to resolve complaints as quickly as possible. We strive to resolve complaints within five (5) business days but some complaints may take longer to resolve. If your complaint is taking longer, we will let you know what is happening and a date by which you can reasonably expect a response.
How to contact us?
If you are not satisfied with how we may handle your personal information, or you would like to make a complaint you can contact:
- in Australia, our Privacy Officer by calling 1300 130 467, using the Feedback Form or writing to us at Reply Paid 5265, Sydney NSW 2001.
- in the United Kingdom, our Data Protection Officer by, calling + 44 (0) 20 7621 7000, or writing to us at Westpac Banking Corporation, Camomile Court, 23 Camomile Street, London EC3A 7L, United Kingdom.
For further information, or if you are unhappy with the way in which we are handling your personal data, you can contact:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Phone: 1300 363 992
In the United Kingdom:
Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
Phone: 0303 123 1113
‘We’, ‘our’, ‘us’, ‘Westpac’ means Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141. ‘Westpac Group’ means Westpac Banking Corporation and its related bodies corporate.