Disaster Relief Package
Disaster Relief Package
Westpac has announced that its Disaster Relief Package is available for customers who are suffering hardship as a result of the recent disasters.
Westpac's Disaster Relief Packages aim to offer immediate practical help to assist customers to manage the impact of natural disasters on their finances.
Grants of up to $2000 can be accessed to help cover temporary accommodation, food and clothing.
At times like these, we encourage all affected customers to contact Westpac Assist on 1800 067 497 or their local Westpac Branch to discuss their circumstances and the financial relief available.
Depending on the nature of disasters, our Disaster Relief Packages generally offer the following:
Home loan and insurance customers
- Affected customers with Westpac home loans may apply to defer repayments for up to three months.
- Affected Westpac customers with Home and Contents insurance may be eligible to receive assistance including emergency funds and temporary accommodation. Contact us to find out if you are eligible or to make a claim.
- Affected businesses with existing loans can request loan restructuring without incurring the usual bank establishment fees.
- Affected business customers with merchant facilities are eligible to receive assistance including monthly terminal access fee waivers for up to three months. Contact us to find out if you are eligible on 1800 029 749.
Credit cards, term deposits and personal loans
- Affected credit card customers may apply to defer repayments to their card for up to 90 days.
- Customers wishing to purchase replacement goods may apply for a personal loan at a discounted interest rate with no establishment fee.
- Westpac will waive interest rate adjustments for affected customers wishing to withdraw term deposits.
- Customers experiencing severe hardship may also be offered a halt on all interest accrual on unsecured credit products for a period of up to three months.
Extending our Disaster Relief Package to support volunteer firefighters
Our Disaster Relief Package has been extended to support volunteer firefighters active in fighting the current bushfires across NSW, Victoria & South Australia and offers financial assistance to affected customers including:
- Home loan repayment deferral for up to 3 months
- Interest waivers, fee cancellations and term extensions
We have also committed $300,000 to state based volunteer fire services to continue to support the emergency workers on the front line.
Westpac customers who wish to utilise these special relief measures or need assistance should contact Westpac Assist on phone 1800 067 497, or alternatively call their local Westpac Branch.
It's these types of actions that build on the support we've provided customers for over 200 years since the Bank of NSW, the predecessor of Westpac Group, launched the first disaster relief fund in Australia to help victims of the Hawkesbury River flood in NSW in 1817-18.
Bushfire Recovery Support Package
We have established additional measures to our existing Disaster Relief Package to support the rural fires service, our customers and a number of organisations assisting with the recovery process. Find out more.
Bushfire Assistance Package for Life insurance customers
To assist our Life insurance customers adversely impacted by the 2019 - 2020 bushfires we are offering a Bushfire Assistance Package which provides a premium waiver period of 3 months for eligible policy holders. Cover will continue on the policies during the premium waiver period under this package.
Life insurance policy holders can apply for this assistance from 1 November 2019 until 30 June 2020.
If you have any questions about the Protection Plans Bushfire Assistance Package, please speak to your financial adviser, or call us on 13 18 17 Monday to Friday, 8.00am - 6.30pm (AEST).
Drought Assistance Package
The Westpac Group remains committed to helping customers who are affected by drought and natural disasters.
In response to the exceptional drought circumstances affecting many Australians, we will be extending our ongoing support to existing customers under a new Drought Assistance Package. We have committed $100 million to support our farmer and agribusiness customers.
For more information read about our Drought Assistance and Disaster Relief.
In addition to the immediate relief packages, we also offer longer term support for customers and we are collaborating at a national level at ways we can help build more resilient communities in the face of inevitable future natural disasters.
Natural Disaster Recovery Fund
In October 2013, we established a Natural Disaster Recovery Fund from which we offer grants to help Australian communities in the long term recovery process.
Australian Business Roundtable for Disaster Resilience and Safer Communities
Since 2012 Westpac has been a member of Australian Business Roundtable for Disaster Resilience and Safer Communities. We have been working together with other businesses to collaborate with all levels of government to encourage greater investment to reduce the impacts of natural disasters and make our communities safer.