How to keep your EFTPOS 1i running during an outage
Here to help during service interruptions for EFTPOS 1i.
The EFTPOS 1i terminal automatically connects to the bank via the Linkly IP Gateway.
- If your main communication method is down, the terminal will automatically switch to the 3G mobile network as back-up; or alternatively
- If your terminal is unable to communicate with the bank, the terminal will automatically switch to Electronic Fall Back (EFB) Mode.
Electronic Fall Back (EFB) Mode
EFB will allow the terminal to continue to process transactions even when network is unavailable. Transactions are stored offline by the terminal, once service has been restored – the terminal will forward the transactions to the bank for processing.
We have certain floor limits in place for EFB.These floor limits are available in your Merchant Letter of Offer.
- For credit card transactions that are over your credit card floor limit, you will be required to enter an authorisation number which you can obtain by calling 132 415.
- For Debit card transactions (EFTPOS CHQ/EFTPOS SAV) that are over your debit card floor limit, these transactions will decline. Alternatively, ask your customer for an alternative means of payment.
- Contactless transactions are not available in Electronic Fall Back mode. To initiate an EFB transaction, ask your customer to insert or swipe their card
- EFB is only available when enabled on the terminal and for certain card types
- Signature capture is required on all EFB transactions regardless of the account selection or whether a PIN was entered
- You must not ‘split’ a sale to avoid obtaining authorisation
- Please ensure the terminal remains powered ON and placed on the base (where applicable) during all EFB processing. If the terminal has been powered OFF, the terminal must perform a successful bank logon to continue EFB processing.
Other outage guides
Things you should know
The information provided in this document is current as at February 2019. It is a general statement for information purposes only and should only be used as a guide. While all care has been taken in preparation of this document, no member of the Westpac Group, nor any of their employees or directors gives any warranty of accuracy or reliability nor accepts any liability in any other way, including by reason of negligence for any errors or omissions contained herein, to the extent permitted by law. Unless otherwise specified, the products and services described in this document are available only in Australia. © Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714.