Global markets offer a world of opportunities to Australian investors.
Westpac Share Trading makes it easy to invest in leading companies around the world by providing access to more than 25 international share markets. Working in partnership with Pershing LLC (Pershing), we offer a Global Markets service. Pershing is a subsidiary of the Bank of New York Mellon, one of the world’s leading providers of international share trading services.
- Trade US equities and options 24 hours a day – online or by phone.
- Trade equities on more than 25 other international exchanges – by phone.
- Access to consensus analyst recommendations for US equities.
- Use advanced charting functionality.
- View live prices.
- View your balances, portfolio holdings, account activity, order status, trade confirmations, brokerage statements and tax statements – all online.
- In addition to shares and exchange traded funds, you can also trade exchange traded options (ETOs) on US markets. The US ETO market is highly developed, offering options over a large number of equities.
Benefits of Global Markets
Access more than 25 global exchanges
Westpac Share Trading provides access to major overseas exchanges including the New York Stock Exchange, NASDAQ, London Stock Exchange, Hong Kong Stock Exchange and Tokyo Stock Exchange.
Diversify your portfolio
Diversification can be an important element of a successful investment strategy as it can mitigate risk. The Australian share market represents less than 2% of the world’s investment opportunities by market capitalisation. By using our Global Markets service, you can broaden your portfolio to include international securities. You can also access sectors that may not be available in Australia.
Invest in big brands
An international share trading account will allow you to invest in some of the biggest global businesses, including Apple, Alphabet, Facebook and many more.
- Capital losses – if your share investment doesn’t perform well, you could make loss on the initial value..
- Foreign currency volatility – your international securities will be denominated in a currency other than Australian dollars. Adverse movements in foreign exchange rates could more than offset gains in share prices.
- Geopolitics – your securities will be held by an international custodian, and may be exposed to risk from changes in the political, legal, regulatory or commercial environments of that country or stock exchange.
- Market risk – the value of your international securities may be affected by variables, such as volatile share markets, general economic conditions and interest rates, as well as issues relating to the specific securities.
Global Markets trading is provided by Pershing LLC, ARBN: 108 110 149, AFSL no 271837, member FINRA, NYSE, SIPC through Australian Investment Exchange Ltd (‘The Participant’) ABN 71 076 515 930 AFSL 241400, a Participant of the ASX Group. This information has been prepared without taking account of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of this, you should, before acting on this information, consider its appropriateness, having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs.
Things you should know
This website is directed to and for the benefit of Australian residents who are located in Australia only. Share trading through this website is a service provided through Westpac Securities Limited ABN 39 087 924 221 AFSL 233723 by Australian Investment Exchange Ltd ABN 71 076 515 930 AFSL 241400 ("the Participant"), a market Participant of the Australian Securities Exchange Limited (ASX) and Chi-X Australia, a clearing participant of ASX Clear Pty Limited and a settlement participant of ASX Settlement Pty Limited.
The information on this website has been prepared without taking account of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of this, you should consider its appropriateness, having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs and, if necessary, seek appropriate professional advice. If a Product Disclosure Statement is available in relation to a particular financial product, you should obtain and consider that Product Disclosure Statement before making any decisions about whether to acquire the financial product. The information contained on this website does not constitute the provision of advice or constitute or form part of any offer, solicitation or invitation to subscribe for or purchase any securities or other financial product nor shall it form part of it or form the basis of or be relied upon in connection with any contract or commitment whatsoever. Any securities or prices used in the examples on this website are for illustrative purposes only and should not be considered as a recommendation to buy, sell or hold. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance. This website may contain material provided directly by third parties. This information is given in good faith and has been derived from sources believed to be accurate at its issue date. While such material is published with necessary permission, no company in the Westpac Group nor any of their related entities, employees or directors (together, “Westpac”), nor the Participant, accepts responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of, or endorses any such material. This website may also contain links to external websites. Westpac and the Participant do not accept responsibility for, or endorse the content of, such external websites. Except where contrary to law, Westpac and the Participant intend by this notice to exclude liability for material provided directly by third parties and the content of external websites.