Skip to main content Skip to main navigation
Skip to access and inclusion page Skip to search input

How much Home Insurance cover do I need?

If you’re a homeowner, it’s your responsibility to ensure you have enough insurance cover for your home – if something unexpected were to happen you have the help you need to get back on your feet.

There are many different types of homes and insurance options to cover them. It may seem daunting to navigate all the extras and find a place to start.

When buying insurance, it is a good idea to focus on what you need, and what is (and isn't) covered by different policies. Generally, Building Insurance will cover the cost of repairing or rebuilding the physical structure of a property and Contents Insurance will provide cover for your personal possessions.

Understanding total replacement and sum-insured cover

Total replacement covers all the costs to rebuild your home to the standard it was before it was damaged. A total replacement policy means you won’t have to worry about any shortfall to repair or rebuild your home.

Sum insured provides cover up to a set amount to repair or rebuild your home.

It is up to you to determine the total replacement and sum-insured cover for your home. Here are a few things to consider.

How much should you insure your building for?

Rebuilding costs generally go up over time and building codes change, the result being if you’ve lived in the same place for a while, the costs associated with rebuilding may have changed significantly. Let’s say for example when you first moved in to your home it was insured for $250,000. Fast forward to the present day and it could cost $400,000 to replace. If you haven’t updated your insurance, that’s a big gap in your cover.

The amount you insure for is known as your building sum insured.

  • The cost to rebuild your house depends on things like size, design, features, materials, and ground slope
  • It includes any permanent features such as timber floors, verandahs, carports and pools
  • But it shouldn’t include the land value.

To help you to receive an accurate estimate on the replacement value of your home, you can use the Building Calculator– it’s a prepopulated form using industry data collated by CoreLogic. It’s also a good idea to check what's covered in your insurance policy.

How much should you insure your contents for?

When determining how much to insure your contents for, add up the cost to replace them today and not what you paid for them. Ask yourself, how much would it cost if I had to buy all new contents today?

The amount you insure for is known as your contents sum insured.

  • An easy way is to go room by room, and make a list of all the items and their replacement costs
  • Your Contents includes carpets, rugs, curtains, internal blinds and shutters, and even the food in your freezer.

To help you estimate the value of your contents, you can check what's covered and use the Contents Value Calculator1.

Keep your sum insured on your Building and Contents Insurance up to date 

You can change your sum insured at any time to ensure you remain adequately covered. We recommend you review your cover regularly, to take into account things like:

  • Upgrades or renovations
  • Changes to the costs of labour and materials to repair or rebuild
  • Changes to building codes and regulations
  • Increases in the replacement value of your belongings
  • New purchases and gifts.

You’ve got a safety net just in case

Many home insurance policies will include a safety net, which means if your sum insured is not enough to cover rebuilding, repairing or replacing your building and contents, there is an additional financial buffer to cover the difference.

For example, construction costs often increase after a widespread storm, flood or bushfire because the demand for labour and building materials is higher.

Read more

How to avoid underinsurance

Underinsurance happens when the amount you have insured your home and/or possessions for isn’t enough to cover the cost of replacing them. A person is likely to be underinsured if their insurance cover is for 90% or less than rebuilding or replacing costs. Fortunately, underinsurance can be remedied. If you think you might be underinsured, take a look at these tips to see what you can do.

What type of insurance do you need for your home?

Wondering what sort of insurance you need for your place? The insurance that’s right for you will depend on the type of home you have, and whether you own or rent it.


Things you should know

The information contained in this article is general information only and is not specific to any product.  

It does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs and so you should consider its appropriateness, having regard to your personal objectives, financial situation and needs to these factors before acting on it.

Terms, conditions and exclusions apply to any insurance product. Please read the disclosure documents for your selected product or service, including the Terms and Conditions or Product Disclosure Statement, before deciding.

1 The Building and Contents calculators available through our websites are intended as a guide only. For a more accurate rebuilding cost, consider obtaining a professional valuation from a licensed builder or professional valuer. 

Home and Contents Insurance is issued by Allianz Australia General Insurance Limited ABN 99 003 719 319, which is a corporate authorised representative of Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 (Allianz Insurance). Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL 233714 arranges the insurance under a distribution arrangement with Allianz Insurance, but does not guarantee the insurance. This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Read the Product Disclosure Statement to see if this insurance is right for you.

By clicking on Get a quote you will enter a third party site hosted by Allianz. Any personal information you provide to Allianz’s hosted site will be collected, used and disclosed in accordance with Allianz’s Privacy Statement and Privacy Policy.

Westpac's Privacy Policy is available at or by calling 132 032. It covers:

  • How you can access the personal information Westpac holds about you and ask for it to be corrected;
  • How you can complain about a breach of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) or a registered Code by Westpac and how Westpac will deal with your complaint; and
  • How Westpac collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in more detail.