Skip to main content Skip to main navigation
Skip to access and inclusion page Skip to search input

Accessing help from the government

Help is at hand from the government for eligible Australians.  Federal and state governments have a range of support measures to help people make ends meet. Finding out if you qualify and what benefits are available may take time and effort.

How can I learn more about federal government payments that are available?

Visit Services Australia to find out more about the government payments you may be eligible for.

The Payments and Service Finder, is an online tool provided by Centrelink. Here you can select the options which best describe your situation and find out more about the possible payments and services you may be eligible for.

What help is available if I’m unemployed?

If you’re facing job loss and won’t be receiving any income, you could apply for unemployment support. It will probably take a few weeks to complete the process and the sooner you start the better.

Depending on your circumstances there are 2 main payments that may be available if you’re unemployed:

For additional support, Westpac has created the Job impact support guide (PDF 472KB) to help you consider the steps and support available to manage your wellbeing, your finances and, eventually, your job search.

What is available to help me as a new parent?

Whether you want to stay home to look after your new baby or return to work and arrange childcare, it’s worth understanding what help is available to you. Parenting payments are Australian Government financial supports that help families with the costs of parenting and raising children.

What is available to help me with the cost of childcare?

You may be eligible for the Child Care Subsidy to help with the cost of approved child care. The Child Care Subsidy is paid directly to providers to reduce the fees you pay.  The amount you can receive depends on your family’s income, the type of child care you use, the age of your child and the hours of recognised activities, including work, job-seeking study or volunteering, that you and your partner do. To find out more visit Services Australia.

Where can I find help from my state or territory government?

State and territory governments around Australia are helping to reduce the cost of living for Australians by providing eligible residents with possibilities to save on:

  • Energy and utility costs
  • Transport
  • Health
  • Senior specific savings
  • Recreation and leisure
  • Travel

New South Wales

Visit NSW Savings Finder to find out more.


Visit VIC Savings Finder to find out more.


Visit QLD Concession Finder to find out more.

Western Australia

Visit Concessions WA to find out more.

South Australia

Visit SA Concessions to find out more.

Australian Capital Territory

Visit ACT Community assistance and ACT Utilities Concession to find out more


Visit Tasmania Discounts & Concessions to find out more.

North Territory 

Visit NT Concessions and Payments to find out more.

Things you should know

This information is general in nature and has been prepared without taking your objectives, needs and overall financial situation into account. For this reason, you should consider the appropriateness for the information to your own circumstances and, if necessary, seek appropriate professional advice.

© Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 233714.