STEM Ph.D. Program
Our commitment to STEM
Our vision is to be one of the world’s great service companies, helping our customers communities and people to prosper and grow. The STEM Ph.D. Program, a joint venture between Westpac and the Group of Eight (Go8) universities, recognises the importance of STEM fields to the future of Australia. The program aims to deliver both greater research outcomes and professional development for researchers who can make an enhanced contribution to the economy.
This program is a significant step toward collaboration between industry and universities. It provides a unique opportunity for researchers from top universities to gain corporate experience and professional development, and deliver innovative solutions to the challenges faced in the commercial sector.
The STEM Ph.D. Program offers Ph.D. students with a focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics disciplines part-time employment with the Westpac Group while they complete their Ph.D.
Based in Sydney, participants work three days a week at the Westpac Group, gaining valuable business and commercial experience in a supportive environment with a structured development program tailored specifically to STEM students.
During the program participants will complete two, 24-month rotations in two different Westpac Group Business Units.
- Valuable business and commercial experience working in one of Australia’s leading companies
- Supportive professional development and mentoring program
- Network building opportunities across a number of business areas
- Flexible working arrangements to ensure a healthy balance between work, study and life commitments
- Financial security during Ph.D. candidature
- Opportunities to join different groups, clubs and committees where participants can make a real different and support local communities.
Whether your goal is to challenge your skills, satisfy your learning curiosity, discover different career options or get an insider’s view into what works when commercialising ideas, this program, developed by Australia’s leading universities and Australia’s first bank, is for you.
To be considered for a position on the program, you must meet the following minimum criteria:
- Confirmed candidature in 2018 for a Doctor of Philosophy in a STEM discipline
- Australian or New Zealand citizen or permanent residence status
- Available to work in Sydney for three days per week in a part-time employment position*
- Written confirmation from your University that you can work at Westpac Group, concurrent with your Ph.D. candidature
*Participants enrolled at a non-Sydney based Go8 university will be able to apply for local academic support under the program at either UNSW Sydney or the University of Sydney
How to apply
Review the eligibility criteria to ensure you meet the minimum requirements for the program
Submit your application online between 1 February 2018 – 22 February 2018. You can also register your interest through the ‘email us’ button below.
If you are eligible for the program, you may invited to complete Westpac’s cultural assessment, submit a video interview and attend an interview either in-person or via teleconference.
If you are successful in the above, you may be invited to attend the Assessment Centre in-person at Westpac’s headquarters in Sydney.
Offers will be made to successful candidates in late March 2018, with part-time employment at Westpac Group to commence in Sydney from June 2018.