Why was my card transaction declined?
There are multiple reasons why a card transaction may decline. It may be due to the physical card, the linked account, a connection issue or merchant error. The following are some common reasons which may assist you to understand why your transaction may have declined.
- There are insufficient funds in the linked account
- The card has expired
- The wrong card number, expiry date or CVC/CVV has been entered (when shopping online or over the phone)
- The card may be damaged, preventing the terminal from reading the chip or magstripe.
- The customer may be in arrears with their credit card payments
- The customer is overseas, and hasn’t advised the bank of their travel plans (international transactions are more likely to be blocked to prevent fraud if the bank isn’t aware of travel plans)
- The purchase was below a minimum purchase amount (for transactions made on PartPay). For more information, please see PartPay.
If the transaction continues to decline, you can call us on 1300 651 089 within Australia or +61 2 9155 7700 if you are calling from overseas (24 hours, 7 days a week).