Things you should know before closing your credit card account
- Closing your account means that you will no longer be able to use your physical and digital credit cards to initiate payments. Some transactions (such as recurring payments that we are unable to cancel on your behalf) may by processed on your account if you have not cancelled these. You will still need to pay back these and other amounts you are liable for
- Only the primary cardholder can close a credit card
- Check your credit card account balance in online banking and pay any outstanding amounts
- Once you initiate the credit card closure process an indicative payout figure will be provided. The indicative payout figure provided is calculated at the time you initiated the credit card closure process and may not include all pending transactions, interest accrued, recurring payments or transactions that remain unprocessed and may be charged to your account between the date and time you initiated your credit card closure and your next statement date
- If your account has a credit balance when it is closed by you or us, we may:
- Transfer that amount to another account in your name that you hold with us; and/or attempt to contact you to return the amount
- You also have the option of supporting a worthy cause by using your balance to make a contribution to a nominated charity foundation
- You can close your credit cards online using the steps shown on this page. The credit card closure confirmation letter can take between 5 - 10 business days to reach you by mail depending on your address. If you’ve opted into digital communications, you’ll receive same day email confirmation to your nominated email address
- Please Note: If further transactions are posted to your account after your statement cycles you will be liable to repay these amounts
- If you have a Westpac Rewards credit card, you will no longer be able to access your Rewards Point Portal to redeem your points once you submit your account closure request. Any unclaimed Reward Points will expire 90 days from the day you initiate the account closure. If you wish to redeem your points (after initiating card closure) you will need to call the Altitude Rewards Centre on 1300 887 820 (open 8am – 8pm AEST, Monday to Friday excluding National Public Holidays). Altitude Terms and Conditions apply
- If you have set up recurring payments, we may be unable to cancel these on your behalf. Please cancel these payments and any other regular payments (direct debits) you’ve authorised on this credit card account. You will remain liable for charges you authorise before you request cancellation, including any recurring payments that continue to be processed until you withdraw your authorisation from the merchant. These transactions will incur interest until the balance owing is paid
- Fees and interest charges will be incurred for as long as there is an outstanding balance on your credit card account. These charges need to be paid in accordance with the terms and conditions of your credit card contract until the outstanding balance is paid in full
- If you pay the indicative payout figure provided in full, but further amounts are debited to your account that you are liable for, you will receive a further statement that includes that remaining balance. Please look out for this and pay any outstanding balance to finalise your credit card closure, if the balance is not paid in full, fees and interest charges will be incurred for as long as there is an outstanding balance on your credit card account
- We will continue to send you statements in accordance with our credit card terms and conditions until the outstanding balance on your credit card account is paid in full.
You will receive a card closure letter confirming that we have closed your credit card and provided an indicative payout figure. If you are opted into digital communications, you will receive an email communication in addition to the letter confirming your credit card is closed.
How do I close my credit card
You can close your personal credit card account in Online Banking or the Westpac App.
In the Westpac App
Before trying these instructions make sure you update to the latest version of the app.
- Tap the account you want to close
- Tap the information icon (i) in the top right of the screen
- Tap Close account
In Online Banking
- Go to Service > Services > Account services
- Select Close an account
- Select the credit card you want to close and follow the prompts
- Remember to cancel any recurring payments or direct debits charged to the card, including PartPay.
- You’ll receive a statement every month until your balance is paid in full.