Using ATMs overseas
While you can make withdrawals and check account balances using existing Australian cards at most overseas ATMs (as long as you have your PIN), be aware that some foreign countries have limited, or no access to, ATMs at all.
All ATMs are not the same
ATM systems can vary between countries, so before leaving home, you also need to have your:
- 4-digit PIN for each card including your credit card
- Accounts linked correctly to the cards you intend using overseas.
ATM fees and charges
There’s nothing like 50,000 global alliance ATMs to keep you going. Overseas, use your Westpac card to get cash and pay no withdrawal fees at ATMs including Barclays, Deutsche, Bank of America and more.
Be aware though that the following fees and charges may be charged when using ATMs overseas:
- A $5 fee applies when you withdraw money from ATMs not part of our Global Alliance. However, checking your account balance is free and account balances will be displayed in local currency.
- Some overseas banks may apply a fee for withdrawals. This will be brought to your attention before you proceed with the transaction and can be avoided by using one of our Global ATM Alliance partner ATMs.
- The Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee is payable as a percentage of the Australian dollar value of any foreign transaction, including ATM withdrawals. The percentage varies depending on the applicable credit card scheme: Visa is 3.0%, American Express is 3.5% and MasterCard is 3.0%.
Did you find this page about using ATMs overseas helpful?
Things you should know
MasterCard® and PayPass™ are trademarks of MasterCard International incorporated.
American Express® is a registered trademark of American Express.