Everyday banking + savings account
Why open a Choice transaction account and Westpac Life savings account together?
- Access your money 24/7 via Online Banking and ATMs
- Unlimited online transfers between your Westpac Life and Choice accounts 2
- Schedule regular fund transfers via Online Banking to really get your savings growing
Shop and get money out with a Debit Mastercard®
Use your Debit Mastercard5 to shop securely online, access cash at ATMs and use PayPass™ to tap and go on purchases under $100.
Be rewarded with bonus interest
Enjoy a competitive base rate on your savings and earn bonus interest each month you grow your balance1 .
Maximise your savings
Got a savings goal in mind? Use the Savings Goals3 feature to set up and track your personalised goals in Online Banking.
We’ve got your back with 24/7 fraud monitoring and our Fraud Money Back Guarantee4.
Get $50 when you open a new Westpac Choice account
Apply online by 17 January 2019 and deposit $250 within 45 days.
Savings Goals3 feature
The Westpac Life account Savings Goals3 make it easy to manage your long and short term goals within a single account.
1. Set up your personalised savings goals
You can name your goals, set the amount you’d like to save and when you’d like to reach your goal by.
2. Distribute your savings across your goals
When you add to your savings you can distribute the money across your different goals.
3. Track your progress
Select a savings goal to see how you’re doing.
Withdraw cash using your phone
Withdraw cash using your phone from any Westpac, St.George, Bank of Melbourne or BankSA ATM11. We can also help you find your nearest ATM using the app.
How to open
You can open an everyday and a savings account together through one simple form.
Open online in less than 3 minutes
You can get your ID verified instantly with your driver’s licence, Medicare Card, passport, NSW Photo Card or birth certificate (no need to visit a branch).
Activate your Online Banking in an instant
Once you’re activated you can import BPAY® billers and Payees from selected banks into your Westpac Online Banking.
We’ll verify your ID and send out your Debit Mastercard
Your ID is verified online or in branch. Once you have your card you can use it to shop online or in person worldwide using your own money.
Switch to Westpac
Once you've opened an account with us, switching your banking is now easier than ever.
Connect to your existing bank and import your payees and BPAY® billers into Westpac Internet Banking.
|Standard fees (fees may change)||Westpac Life Account||Choice Transaction Account
|Monthly service fee||$0||$5 (criteria for fee waiver below)
|Online Banking transactions (including Mobile Banking)||$0||$0|
|EFTPOS and Debit Mastercard transactions||N/A||$0|
|Westpac, St.George, BankSA, Bank of Melbourne ATM withdrawal||N/A||$0|
|Non-Westpac, St.George, BankSA, Bank of Melbourne ATMs within Australia cash withdrawal or balance enquiry (however the ATM owner may apply an ATM operator fee)||N/A||$0|
|Periodical payments (Additional fees apply) for periodical payments made by bank cheque and international periodical payments)||N/A||$0|
|Dishonour of cheques written or direct debits||N/A||$5|
|Account overdrawn fee
|Telephone Banking withdrawal (staff assisted)||$2.50||N/A|
|Branch staff assisted withdrawal||$2.50||N/A|
- Customers that deposit at least $2,000 each month (other fees apply)
- Customer under the age of 21 or a full-time tertiary students
- Australian Pensioner Concession or Health Care Card holders
- New to Australia or expatriate customers (for the first 12 months).
There are no fees for Online Banking or Automated Telephone Banking transfers from a Westpac Life account to a Westpac everyday account held in the name of the account holder or authorised user who is requesting the transfer. To access your money, we recommend you transfer funds to your Westpac everyday account and then make your withdrawal or payment.
Direct debits, periodical payments, BPAY®, Pay Anyone, cheque withdrawals and ATM transactions are not available from a Westpac Life account.
Overseas fees apply to Westpac Choice account only.
|Standard fees (fees may change)||Amount|
|Overseas ATM balance enquiry from a non-Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Overseas ATM balance enquiry from a Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Overseas ATM cash withdrawal from a non-Global Alliance Partner ATM||$5|
|Overseas ATM cash withdrawal from a Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee||Depends on transaction type - see below|
Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee
The Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee is payable and will be incorporated into the $AUD transaction amount shown on your statement. The fee charged will either be:
a) 3% of the $AUD transaction amount where a transaction is made in foreign currency and the merchant or financial institution accepting the card is located outside Australia (comprising of 2% Westpac Processing Fee plus 1% Westpac On-Charged Scheme Fee); or
b) 2.2% of the $AUD transaction amount where a transaction is made in foreign currency and the merchant or financial institution accepting the card is located in Australia (comprising of 2% Westpac Processing Fee plus 0.2% Westpac On-Charged Scheme Fee).
Global Alliance Partners
For more information on participating Global Alliance Partners in designated countries, see Accessing your accounts overseas.
Credit Cardholders who currently withdraw money from linked Westpac account via credit card, it is important to know that this functionality may not be available when using overseas ATMs, including Global Alliance ATMs. To ensure access to Savings and/or Cheque account funds when overseas please speak to us about obtaining a Debit Mastercard®. Go to our Debit Mastercard page or visit a Westpac branch. Terms and Conditions and Fees and charges may apply.
Things you should know
Before making a decision about any of our products or services, please read all the terms and conditions and consider whether the product or service is right for you. Fees and charges apply and may change.
1. Bonus interest: payable each month that you: make a deposit to the account, ensure the account balance is higher at the end than the beginning of the month, and keep the account balance above $0. For bonus interest qualification, a month is the period from close of business on the last business day of the prior month to close of business on the last business day of the current month.
2. Westpac everyday account: To open a Westpac Life account, you must hold a Westpac everyday account. Fees and charges apply on a Westpac everyday account.
3. Savings Goals: Both an account holder and an authorised user can use the Savings Goals feature in Online Banking, including to view, add, edit and delete the Savings Goals on a Westpac Life account.
4. Financial Claims Scheme: payments under the FCS are subject to a limit for each depositor. For more information see the APRA website
5. Debit Mastercard: You need to be at least 16 years of age, and have an Australian residential address to be eligible for the card. If you're not eligible for a Debit Mastercard, apply for a Handycard to access your account.
6. Westpac Fraud Money Back Guarantee: Customers will be reimbursed for any unauthorised transactions provided that the customer has not contributed to the loss and contacted Westpac promptly.
7. Global ATM: A 3% Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee applies to overseas debit or credit card withdrawals. A 2% cash advance fee applies to credit card withdrawals where the "Credit" option is selected. A list of Global Alliance members is available. Excludes American Express® cards. It is important to know that the functionality to withdraw money from a linked Westpac account via Credit Card is not available when using overseas ATMs, including Global Alliance ATMs. To ensure access to Savings and or Cheque account funds when overseas please speak to us about obtaining a Debit Mastercard®.
8. Google Pay: Read the Terms and Conditions before making a decision and consider if it is right for you. Available for eligible cards. To use Google Pay you will need to use a compatible device with a supported operating system.
9. Samsung Pay: Read the Samsung Pay Terms and Conditions before making a decision and consider if it is right for you. Available for eligible cards. To use Samsung Pay you will need to use a compatible phone with a supported operating system. Internet connection may be needed to make payments using Samsung Pay and normal mobile data charges apply.
10. Card on hold: Available on personal credit and Mastercard® debit cards only. Cards to which a temporary lock can be applied will be listed when you sign in to Mobile Banking or Online Banking and visit Lock a card temporarily under Cards services.
11. Cardless cash: is available on eligible Westpac transaction accounts with a linked debit card. Get Cash limit of 3 withdrawals per day applies, subject to $500 daily withdrawal limit and $1,000 weekly withdrawal limit. Only available at Westpac Group ATMs in Australia. To access cardless cash on your mobile you must be registered to use Westpac Online Banking and download the Westpac Mobile Banking App to use Westpac Mobile Banking on Apple Watch you’ll need to pair your Apple Watch with an iPhone 5 or above with iOS 8.2 or above. You’ll also need the Westpac Mobile Banking app (version 6.1 or above) installed on your iPhone..
#$50 Offer: Fees and charges apply. Read the terms and conditions before making a decision and consider whether the product is appropriate for you. Excludes customers who have held a Choice account with Westpac anytime from 8/10/17. You must be under 25. Eligible customers need to open a Choice account online between 8/10/18 and 17/01/19 (inclusive) and deposit a minimum of $250 within 45 days of account opening. Eligible customers who have completed identification will receive $50 deposited into their account within 60 days of account opening. Offer limited to one $50 deposit per eligible customer. Where a joint account is opened, the offer is limited to only one $50 deposit in respect of the account. If one of the joint account holders has already received their $50 deposit in respect of another account, then none of the remaining joint account holders will be eligible for the offer in respect of the joint account.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and Apple watch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service of Apple Inc.
World Mastercard®, Mastercard® and the Mastercard brand mark are registered trademarks, and PayPass is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.
BPAY® is a registered trademark of BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518.
© Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714.