Moving to Australia
Award-winning transaction account^
- Winner of the Canstar 2018 Bank of the Year – Everyday Banking
- Winner of Canstar’s 5-star Rating for Outstanding Value Transaction Account in 2019
Get started with a bank account today
Why choose a bank account with us?
Set up your account now in less than 3 minutes
Open your account up to 12 months before you arrive or once you arrive
Pay no monthly service fee for the first 12 months
And if you’re a student you won’t pay any monthly service fee while you’re a full time student or under 21 in Australia
You’ll be with Australia’s first bank
We have 200 years’ experience helping customers create a new life in Australia
ATM network at home and overseas
Pay no withdrawal fee at any major bank ATM in Australia (including Westpac, Commonwealth Bank, ANZ, NAB, St.George, Bank of Melbourne and BankSA) and at over 50,000 ATMs globally via the Global ATM Alliance and partner ATMs (other fees may apply)3
Things you should know
Before making a decision about any of our products or services, please read all the terms and conditions. Fees and charges apply and may change.
Debit Mastercard: You need to be at least 14 years of age, and have an Australian residential address to be eligible for the card. If you're not eligible for a Debit Mastercard, apply for a Handycard to access your account.
1. Conditions, fees, charges and foreign currency exchange rates apply. You will need to check with your bank, financial institution or exchange dealer before your transfer.
3. Global ATM: A 3% Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee applies to overseas debit or credit card withdrawals. A 2% cash advance fee applies to credit card withdrawals where the "Credit" option is selected. A list of Global Alliance members is available. Excludes American Express® cards. It is important to know that the functionality to withdraw money from a linked Westpac account via Credit Card is not available when using overseas ATMs, including Global Alliance ATMs. To ensure access to Savings and or Cheque account funds when overseas please speak to us about obtaining a Debit Mastercard®
^ Awarded 2018 Canstar Bank of the Year – Everyday Banking on 11th September 2018
The Canstar Rating was awarded on 17th May 2019 for the Westpac Life product for the Regular Saver profile, for the Westpac Choice product for the High Transactor profile and Youth Transactor profile, and for the Westpac Choice 55+ and Retired product for the Senior Transactor profile.
# $50 Offer: Excludes customers who hold or have held a Westpac Choice account at any time. To receive up to AUD$50 credited to an everyday account, customers must open a Westpac Choice account online (or in an Australian Westpac branch for Youth, Student and Migrant Choice accounts) between 10/7/19 and 09/10/2019 (inclusive) and must deposit $500 or more and make at least five (5) eligible purchases using their debit card within 30 days of account opening (‘eligible customer’). Eligible purchases: include in-store purchases, online purchases, regular card payments, PayPass, and Google Pay™ transactions. Offer excludes ATM withdrawals. Eligible customers will receive $50 deposited into their account within 45 days of account opening following successful identification verification. The account must remain open during this period in order to be eligible for the offer. Offer limited to one deposit per customer and is not available in conjunction with any other offer. Where a joint account is opened, if one of the joint account holders has already received their deposit in respect of another account, then none of the remaining joint account holders will be eligible for the offer in respect of the joint account. Read the Terms and Conditions available at westpac.com.au, including for fees and charges that may apply, before making a decision and consider if it is right for you.
* Promotion opens 9am AEST on 15.7.19 and closes 6pm on 30.8.19. Entry is open to all residents of Australia aged 18 years or over who are students enrolled full-time in any school, technical and further education, or tertiary institution. Entry is automatic. To enter: (1) open a Westpac Student Choice Account or a Westpac Choice Migrant Student Choice Account during the Promotion Period by : i) visiting any Westpac branch; or ii) calling 132 032; or iii) going online at Westpac.com.au ;(2) satisfy Westpac’s Account opening requirements and successfully verify your identification and full-time student status at any Westpac branch by 10 September 2019; and (3) keep the Account open as at the date of the Draw. Closed accounts are not eligible, (the “Entry”), in order to be considered an “Eligible Entrant”. Entrants must be new Westpac Student Choice Account or Westpac Choice Migrant Student Account holders. Entrants who hold or have held in the past a Westpac Student Choice Account or Westpac Choice Migrant Student Account are not Eligible Entrants for the purposes of this Promotion. There are three Prizes. Each Prize consists of $5,000 cash. Prize draw will take place 10am AEST on 16.9.19 at 200 Barangaroo Ave, Barangaroo. Winners notified on 18.9.19 and their name published in The Australian on 25.9.19. For full terms and conditions, visit www.westpac.com.au/personal-banking/bank-accounts/transaction/student-account-promotion-terms-conditions/. Promoter is Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 14. Authorised under: NSW Permit No: LTPS-19-35936, SA Permit No: T19/1096, ACT Permit No: TP 19/03689
World Mastercard®, Mastercard® and the Mastercard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of, and PayPassTM is a trademark of, Mastercard International Incorporated.
© Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714.