Depending on the nature of disasters, our Disaster Support generally offers the following:
Home loan and insurance customers
- Home Loan customers may apply to defer payments for up to three months.
- Affected Westpac customers with Home and Contents insurance can make a claim online 24/7.
- Affected Westpac customers with Car insurance can make a claim online 24/7.
Credit cards, term deposits and personal loans
- Credit card customers may apply to defer payments to their card for up to 90 days.
- Term deposit customers can withdraw funds early without any interest rate reduction.
- Customers experiencing hardship may also be offered a halt on all interest accrual on unsecured credit products for a period of up to three months.
- Business loan customers may apply to defer repayments for up to three months.
- Businesses with existing loans can request loan restructuring without incurring the usual bank establishment fees.
- Business customers with merchant facilities are eligible to receive assistance, including monthly terminal access fee refunds for up to three months. Contact us to find out if you are eligible on 1800 029 749.
To access financial assistance
- Westpac consumer customers can apply online or call Westpac Assist on 1800 067 497. Business customers who need support can contact their Relationship Manager or call Westpac Assist on 1800 067 497.
- If you have been affected by a Natural Disaster, such as bushfires, floods, cyclones, you could also make an insurance claim.
In addition to the immediate relief support, we also offer longer term assistance for customers and we are collaborating at a national level at ways we can help build more resilient communities in the face of inevitable future natural disasters.
Drought Assistance Package
The Westpac Group remains committed to helping customers who are affected by drought and natural disasters.
In response to the exceptional drought circumstances affecting many Australians, we will be extending our ongoing support to existing customers under a new Drought Assistance Package. We have committed $100 million to support our farmer and agribusiness customers.
For more information read about our Drought Assistance and Disaster Relief.
Natural Disaster Recovery Fund
In October 2013, we established a Natural Disaster Recovery Fund from which we offer grants to help Australian communities in the long term recovery process.
Australian Business Roundtable for Disaster Resilience and Safer Communities
Since 2012 Westpac has been a member of Australian Business Roundtable for Disaster Resilience and Safer Communities. We have been working together with other businesses to collaborate with all levels of government to encourage greater investment to reduce the impacts of natural disasters and make our communities safer.
Disaster Relief Package and credit reporting
A Disaster Relief Package is an agreement between you and your lender to adjust or defer your loan repayment obligations because something has happened which has impacted your ability to repay. Under credit reporting, this is supplied as a financial hardship arrangement and it may help improve your repayment information on your credit report if you meet your revised repayments.