Flexi First Option Home Loan
Make extra repayments and redraw those funds
Pay off your loan earlier and pay less interest by making additional repayments. You have same day access to redraw your extra repayments. Redraw fee may apply depending on the product (and/or means by which the redraw is made). Any party to the loan can access the available redraw amount. The bank has a discretion to suspend redraws.
Take a break from repayments
You may be able to pause or reduce your repayments for a set period.
After the reduced or paused repayments period, repayments will be higher for the remaining loan term. which may result in higher interest being paid overall. Approval of the bank is required.
Increase your home loan
You can apply to increase your home loan using our top up / loan increase feature to pay for things like renovations, home improvements or even a holiday. (fees apply)
Special offer: Take up our Flexi First Option Home Loan and we’ll waive the establishment fee – saving you $600 (For principal and interest repayments only)
|Fee||Flexi First Option Home Loan|
|Loan establishment fee||$600 (one upfront fee)|
|Monthly loan maintenance fee||$0|
|Redraw fee||$25 each|
|Top up / Loan increase fee||$350 each|
(Taking your home loan with you)
|$350 per move|
|Repayment holiday fee||$0|
|Parental leave fee||$95 to activate|
|Reduced repayments fee||$95 to activate|
|Progress draw set up fee||$95 per draw|
Ways to pay off your home loan sooner
Save a little more before you buy
If you've started saving you may start looking at buying once you have around 10% of the purchase price. However, if you have less than 20% of the purchase price, you may need to pay Lenders Mortgage Insurance. It may mean waiting a little longer, but if you can save a 20% deposit on your new home, you could avoid paying Lenders Mortgage Insurance.
Pay fortnightly versus monthly
Paying fortnightly means that there are 26 fortnightly repayments each year which adds up to the equivalent of 13 monthly repayments. That's one extra monthly repayment every year to help you own your home sooner. This could work well if you’re paid fortnightly.
Benefit from extra and lump sum repayments
- Any extra payments you make will reduce the balance of your loan and the interest charged. Lump sums such as a tax return, a bonus from work, a gift or an inheritance can help you save on interest and shorten the life of your loan. Even paying a little bit extra on a regular basis can make a difference in the longer term.
- Rounding up your home loan repayment just a small amount can make a dent on your home loan interest. For example, consider a loan amount of $300,000 at 5% over 25 years. If the monthly repayments of $1754 were rounded up to $2000 per month and continued until the end of the loan term, the loan would be repaid around 5 years early, and the interest owed reduced by around $54,000.
Use a home loan offset account
A Westpac offset account allows you to offset the balance of your eligible transaction account against the balance of your Rocket Repay Home Loan. This means you only have to pay interest on the difference between these account balances, which could save you thousands on interest payments and cut years off the life of your home loan. Our Rocket Repay Home Loan provides you with a 100% offset transaction account linked to your home loan. Every dollar you have in your transaction account saves you interest. To see how you could save with an offset account use our Westpac Home Loan Offset Calculator
Regularly review your home loan
Over time, your personal situation or financial needs may change. It makes sense to review your loan regularly to ensure you're only paying for the features or benefits you actually use or need. We can help to assess your requirements and ensure you’ve got the products and services that are right for you at each stage of your life.
All our home and investment property loan applications are completed with the help of one of our home loan experts, either over the phone or at a branch. Our expert will first listen and discuss your individual needs, then give you the information that will help you choose the right home loan for you.
To get started you can:
- Fill out an enquiry form and a home loan expert will call you back
- Call 131 900 and talk to a home loan expert (8am-8pm, 7 days a week)
- Pop into your local branch and have a chat.
Our home loan experts can give you the information you need to help decide which loan is best for you. They can also help you with your application.
What you’ll need to kick start your application
We’ve put together this checklist of what you’re likely to need when you apply. Having this information ready before you start could help speed up the process.
- Details of monthly expenses (including loans and credit card debts)
- Lists of assets (what you own) and liabilities (what you owe)
- Income confirmation (including trusts and investments)
- Superannuation balances
- Proof of savings (statements)
- Property contract of sale (if you’ve chosen a property you’d like to purchase and if available)
If you’re a PAYG employee:
- Your 2 most recent payslips
- Your most recent payment summary or tax return.
If you’re self-employed:
- Your business/company tax returns for the last 2 years
- Your personal tax returns and assessment notices for the last 2 years.
If you’re refinancing:
- Loan statements for the last 6 months
- Property details
If you’re building a home:
- Plans, specifications, council approval and builders contract
- Owner Builder Independent Adviser’s Report (if you’re the builder).
Things you should know
The above rates exclude any LVR discounts available for new loans.
Variable rate subject to change (and margins may apply). Credit criteria, fees and charges, terms & conditions apply. Based on Westpac's credit criteria, residential lending is not available for Non-Australian Resident borrowers.
- This comparison rate for the Flexi First Option Home Loan is based on a loan of $150,000 over a term of 25 years. WARNING: This comparison rate is true only for the examples given and may not include all fees and charges. Different terms, fees or other loan amounts might result in a different comparison rate.
- Offer commences 19 September 2018 and may be varied or withdrawn at any time. This offer is only available on new Flexi First Option Home Loans with principal and interest repayments. Rate includes a 0.9% p.a. discount off our Flexi First Option Home Loan Variable Rate for the Life of Loan. Excludes internal refinances or switches within the Westpac Group, which includes refinances from Westpac, St.George, Bank of Melbourne, BankSA and RAMS. Not available to company and trust account holders. Offer cannot be taken in conjunction with, or in addition to other special offers, negotiated rates or discount. Interest rate is subject to change.