Planning your trip and getting ready to travel
- Ready to book your trip? Book your trip with a Westpac Rewards credit card and you could get complimentary travel insurance included (make sure you read the exclusion and policy terms first) 3
- No matter where in the world you are, it’s easy to find the nearest Global ATM Alliance with the Global locator in our mobile banking app
- Keep an eye on the exchange rate for where you’re going regularly before you go – if the rate is in your favour you can lock it in with a travel money card
While you’re away
- Getting cash out while you’re away? If you use a Global Alliance ATM network you won’t pay any ATM withdrawal fees 1
- Avoid paying 3% transaction fees when using one either our Westpac Lite Credit Card or our Global Currency Card whilst abroad. 2
- Download the Westpac Global Currency Card app so you can easily manage any currencies you have on your card on the go, including transferring money between different currency wallets
- If your card is lost or stolen while you’re away you can lock it instantly in the Westpac mobile banking app. You can call us from overseas to report your card lost or stolen 24/7 on +61 2 9155 7700
Things to keep in mind:
- A Westpac Debit Mastercard® lets you access your own money to make purchases, wherever Mastercard® is accepted. You can also use your Debit Mastercard® or Handycard to withdraw local currency from selected ATMs.
- Non Global Alliance ATMs will usually charge a fee.
- Access your transaction and savings accounts to withdraw foreign currency at any overseas ATM that displays the Cirrus logo, although a foreign-currency transaction fee will apply, incorporated into your total transaction amount in Australian dollars
- The international daily limit for electronic cash withdrawals is A$1000 which applies to both your Handycard and Westpac Debit Mastercard®. This limit applies to ATM and EFTPOS cash withdrawals, during a 24 hour period (starting midnight). This limit can be adjusted to a maximum of $2,000 via Online Banking or Mobile Banking or by visiting a Westpac branch or calling Telephone Banking on 132 032.
Travelling to Europe or the United Kingdom (UK)
- Use your Mastercard® or Visa Credit Card to access a credit account
- Use your Handycard or Debit Mastercard® if you'd like to access a savings or transaction account (as Visa and Mastercard credit cards linked to these accounts won't work)
- Link your account to the 'Savings' option and consider carrying a second Handycard, as ATMs in Europe and the UK don't recognise accounts linked to 'Cheque'.
If travelling outside Europe...
- Use your Handycard, or linked Debit Mastercard® to access a savings or transaction account
- Use your Mastercard® or Visa Credit Card to access a credit account
- During your travels, remember that:
- 'Savings' in Australia means 'Debit' on most foreign ATMs
- Different countries have different ATM systems, so it's important to memorise your 4-digit PIN before you leave home.
To order a new or replacement PIN (personal identification number) while you are overseas:
- Sign in to Westpac Live and you will be able to select a PIN and start using your PIN straight away
- Call +61 2 9155 7700 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week). For Black cards please call +61 2 9155 7711.
Please note that calls made from mobile phones or hotel rooms may attract additional charges.
Allow 10-14 business days for delivery if you’re at an overseas address.
Learn more about managing your card PIN via Westpac Live.
- Call Westpac on +61 2 9155 7700 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week), or for Black cardholders +61 2 9155 7711
- Alternatively, Mastercard® and Visa may be able to help you with emergency replacement cards and emergency cash advances
- You will either be provided with a number to call, or will be asked for the details listed on your Westpac records, such as your:
- Address in Australia
- Phone number in Australia.
- These details need to match the contact details we have for you in our customer profile at Westpac, as Mastercard and Visa will ask us to confirm the information you provide.
Our emergency card replacement and cash service
If your card is lost or stolen, take advantage of our Emergency Card Replacement service, where a replacement card can usually be provided within 2 business days.
Additionally, by advising us that your Debit Mastercard®, Handycard or credit card is missing may protect you from liability for any subsequent misuse of your card.
You also have access to an emergency cash advance - subject to your available credit limit and your account being in good standing.
It's important to let us know if you're going overseas - that way we can keep an eye on your accounts for any suspicious activity.
The easiest way to let us know is through Mobile Banking:
- Sign into Mobile Banking
- Select Services and security from the top left menu
- Under Card services, select Notify of overseas travel and follow the prompts.
Things you should know
Terms and conditions, fees and charges apply. Read the Product terms and conditions before making a decision.
1. No ATM withdrawal fee at Westpac Group ATMs in Australia and over 50,000 ATMs globally via Global ATM Alliance partners. Other fees and charges may be payable.
2. A 3% Westpac Foreign Exchange Fee applies to overseas transactions in a currency other than a Supported Currency.
3. Complimentary insurance covers for Westpac issued cards: AWP Australia Pty Ltd, ABN 52 097 227 177, AFSL 245631, of 74 High Street, Toowong, QLD 4066 (trading as Allianz Global Assistance) under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850, AFSL 234708, has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac), of 275 Kent Street, Sydney, NSW 2000 which allows eligible Westpac account holders and cardholders to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. The terms, conditions, limits and exclusions of the group policy are set out in the Westpac Credit Cards Complimentary Insurance Policy which may be amended from time to time. Westpac does not guarantee the insurance.
Travel Insurance is issued by AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 AFSL 245631 (trading as Allianz Global Assistance), as agent for the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 (Allianz). Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 arranges the insurance as agent of Allianz, but does not guarantee the insurance. Policy terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Read the Product Disclosure Statement (PDF 840KB) to see if this insurance is right for you. Call 1800 502 077.
4. Bonus interest: payable each month that you: make a deposit to the account, ensure the account balance is higher at the end than the beginning of the month, and keep the account balance above $0. For bonus interest qualification, a month is the period from close of business on the last business day of the prior month to close of business on the last business day of the current month.
Global Currency Card:
Information is current as at 16 January 2019. You should read the Westpac Global Currency Card Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision and consider whether this product is appropriate for you. This information does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs and you should consider its appropriateness having regard to these factors before deciding to acquire this product. You must be 16 years or older and have an Australian residential address to be eligible for this product. Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac) is the distributor of the Product. Rev Australia Pty Ltd ACN 117 378 953 AFSL 401610 manages the Westpac Global Currency Card product for Cuscal Limited 087 822 455 AFSL 244116, an authorised deposit taking institution and a member of Visa International. Cuscal Limited is the issuer of the Product only, and does not take deposits from you. Westpac is not responsible for and does not guarantee the Product or Card, your ability to access any prepaid value or the use of this Product or Card. Amounts held on the Product do not represent a deposit with, or any other liability of Westpac or any company in the Westpac Group. Read the Online Banking Terms and Conditions at westpac.com.au Internet connection is needed to access the Westpac Global Currency Card app and Westpac Online and Mobile banking. Normal mobile data charges apply.
We support Apple iPhone iOS 10 and above and Android™ 6.0 (Marshmallow) and above. Android, Google Pay and Google Play are trademarks of Google Inc. Mastercard, PayPass and the Mastercard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of Mastercard International Incorporated. Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license.
BPAY is ® Registered to BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518.
Fees and charges apply. Consider the before making a decision. Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 acts as a distributor for the Foreign Currency Notes Service, which is provided by Travelex Limited ABN 36 004 179 953 AFSL 222444. Westpac is not responsible for and does not guarantee this service. Amounts paid for foreign currency notes do not represent a deposit with, or any other liability of Westpac or any company in the Westpac Group.
BPAY^®^ is a registered trademark of BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518.