Home and Contents Insurance
What does Home and Contents cover?
Home (also known as Building) Insurance covers your home’s physical structures and fixtures including your garage, fences and paved driveways. It also includes built-in appliances like hot water systems and air-conditioners.
Contents Insurance covers personal belongings at your home like your furniture, carpet, appliances and clothing. It also includes your BBQ, outdoor furniture and kid’s play equipment.
12 insured events
Cover against common events like fire, theft, storm, cyclones, flood and vandalism. A 72-hour exclusion period applies for loss or damage caused by cyclone, bushfires, grassfires, flood or flood water combined with run-off and rainwater.
Payment of rental costs for up to 10% of your building or contents sum insured for up to 12 months for alternative accommodation if your home is damaged by an insured event and becomes unliveable.
Up to $1,000 to replace locks or cylinders of external doors or windows if keys are stolen or copied as a result of a burglary.
Up to 10% of your sum insured for the removal of debris from damaged or destroyed buildings and or contents in addition to your building sum insured.
Rebuilding and professional fees
Up to $5,000 towards architects’, engineers’, surveyors’ and solicitors’ fees if you need to rebuild your home after total loss or damage.
Making your buildings environmentally friendly
Up to $5,000 in addition to your sum insured to make new buildings environmentally friendly if your buildings are totally destroyed.
What’s not covered
Wear and tear
Wear and tear including depreciation, gradual deterioration, wear and tear or lack of maintenance.
Inherent defects including faulty design or materials, structural defects or poor workmanship.
Illegal contents or personal effects which are acquired illegally or are illegally held.
Soil movement including erosion, landslide, mudslide or subsidence unless it is directly caused by and occurs within 72 hours of an explosion, earthquake, tsunami, storm or flood.
For full details, of the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions that apply please read the , the , and the Home Building and Home Contents Key Fact Sheets (KFS) before making a decision to purchase the insurance.
How much cover is enough?
It’s important to have the right amount of insurance to cover the cost of replacing your home and/or belongings in today’s dollars if the unexpected happens. If you don’t have enough, you may have to cover some of the cost yourself and if you have too much, you may only be paid an amount that covers your loss.
Details on the benefits paid for your building and contents sum insured are available in the PDS. Calculators on our website are intended as a guide only.^
Protect items like mobile phones, cameras and engagement rings when you’re away from home. You’re also covered if you’re overseas, for up to 120 continuous days.
You’re covered if an electrical current damages or destroys your household electrical motors, like those contained in fridges, air-conditioners, pool pumps and garage doors.
Why choose Westpac Home and Contents Insurance?
Side by side banking
See your insurance policies online alongside your other Westpac accounts.1
Flexible payment options
Manage your budget with the option to pay by the month at no extra cost.2
Cover your home & contents against major events including fire, storms, flood & theft.
We’re here with you every step of the way
1. Get a quote online
Get a quote online. You can also buy over the phone with one of our friendly consultants.
2. Check or change your policy
We are here to help with your insurance needs. We also have optional cover to give you a greater flexibility of cover. Give us a call on 1300 650 255.
3. Make a claim
You can lodge a claim online and get instant lodgement confirmation. Find out more about how to make a claim.
Frequently asked questions
If you buy Westpac Home and Contents Insurance, your insurer will be Allianz Australia Insurance Limited. This means if you need to make a claim, Allianz will be there for you to help you get back on track as soon as possible. For more information about Westpac’s distribution arrangement with Allianz, see the disclaimer below and our .
Things you should know
1. Only primary policyholders can see policies alongside their other Westpac accounts.
2. Instalment premiums If you choose to pay your premium by instalments you do not pay us any more than if you pay your premium in one lump sum annually. The premiums payable by instalments may be subject to minor adjustments (upwards or downwards) due to rounding. Note: Your financial institution may apply transaction fees to instalment payments.
3. Online discount When you buy a new home insurance policy online a discount of up to 10% is applied to your first year’s premium including for Flood and the following optional covers (if selected); Accidental damage, Motor Burnout and Portable Contents. This discount is not applied on renewal.
4. Combined A premium discount of up to 10% for combining Building and Contents covers on one policy is applied for Building and Contents cover. This includes on optional covers for Motor Burnout and Accidental Damage, but not for Portable contents cover. This discount is not applied to the premium for Flood.
5. Minimum premiums If you are eligible for more than one discount, Allianz applies them in a predetermined order. This means any subsequent discount will be applied to the reduced premium amount after applying any prior discounts and the effect of the subsequent discount will be reduced. For example, the aggregate effect of applying two 10% discounts consecutively means that you will not see the full benefit of both these discounts. Discounts do not apply to taxes or government charges. Discounts do not apply to optional covers for Domestic/Landlord workers’ compensation (if available and selected). Any discounts/entitlements may be subject to rounding and may only apply to the extent that any minimum premium is not reached.
For the standard terms, conditions and exclusions about our Home & Landlord Insurance, please refer to the relevant Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and any supplementary PDS (if applicable), and the . To see some of the events covered and not covered, please refer to our Key Fact Sheets (KFS).
Home and Contents Insurance is issued by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 (Allianz). Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL 233714 (the Bank) arranges the insurance under a distribution agreement with Allianz Insurance, but does not guarantee the insurance. This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Before making a decision, please consider the relevant Product Disclosure Statement. For more information call 1300 650 255.
A target market determination has been made for this product. Please visit www.westpac.com.au/tmd for the target market determination.
- How you can access the personal information Westpac holds about you and ask for it to be corrected;
- How you can complain about a breach of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) or a registered Code by Westpac and how Westpac will deal with your complaint; and
- How Westpac collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information in more detail.