Altitude Velocity Black
At a glance
|$250||Ongoing annual card fee|
||Annual Altitude Velocity program fee|
||Variable purchase rate|
|21.49% p.a.||Variable cash advance rate|
||Minimum credit limit|
|$75,000 p.a.||Minimum income required|
|0.75 pts/$||Uncapped Velocity Points6 earn rate on eligible purchases†|
See below for standard rates and fees.
Bonus points and balance transfer offer
Earn up to 120,000 bonus Velocity Points~
- Get 90,000 points if you spend $4k within 90 days of new card approval
- Receive an additional 30,000 points after making the first eligible purchase in the second year of your card being active.
Eligible purchases only†. Offer not if you've held a Westpac rewards card in the last 12 months. T&Cs apply.
0% p.a. for 18 months on balance transfers
When requested at card application. 1% balance transfer fee applies. After 18 months the rate reverts to the variable cash advance rate##.
New cards only. T&Cs apply.
Why choose Altitude Velocity Black?
Other reasons to choose
On top of Apple Pay, Samsung PayTM and Google Pay, you can use our Instant Digital Card from the moment your account is opened. No need to wait for a physical card.
Add a second cardholder (16 years or older) at no extra cost5.
From verifying suspicious transactions to our fraud money back guarantee, we aim to keep you protected.
Exclusive to Westpac Altitude Black cardholders, the Personal Concierge Service lets you browse and book experiences online, including hard-to-get tickets, last-minute restaurant bookings and more.
You don’t need a rewards card to get rewarded. Westpac Extras includes personalised cashback offers sent directly to your email. Simply use your card as normal and we’ll automatically credit your account.
Could this credit card be suitable for you?
It could be if:
- You’re a Velocity Frequent Flyer member
- You see the value in paying a higher annual card fee than our Low Rate or Low Fee cards for Velocity points, complimentary lounge passes, insurances and concierge
- You’re likely to repay your purchases off in full most months (minimising the interest you’ll be charged)
There may be better options if:
- You don’t repay your purchases in full most months, consider our Low Rate cards
- You want the balance transfer offer to pay off other cards, but think you’ll take longer than the offer period to repay it, consider other balance transfer offers, or our personal loans
- You are willing to not earn Velocity Points so the annual card fee is lower, but still want complimentary insurances, consider Altitude Rewards Platinum
Standard rates and fees
|Annual card fee||
|Annual rewards program fee||Altitude Velocity: $50|
Foreign transaction fee
Payable as a percentage of the Australian dollar value of any foreign transaction.
Applies for transactions in a foreign currency, or in Australian dollars but processed by an overseas merchant or financial institution.
Note: It may not always be clear to you that the Merchant or entity processing the transaction is located outside Australia. More about this fee.
|Cash advance fee
If the card has a negative balance after the transaction: 2.0% or $2.50, whichever is higher (max. $150).
If the card has a positive balance after the transaction: $2.50
These charges will appear on your statement directly below the relevant cash advance.
|Missed payment charge||$15 each statement cycle that the minimum monthly payment is not paid by the statement due date.|
Alternative credit cards
Frequently asked questions
When you choose Altitude Velocity rewards you can also enjoy 2 Economy X seat upgrades a year, on selected domestic Virgin Australia flights.7 To receive the upgrades, simply provide us with your Velocity Frequent Flyer number and make a direct spend at Virgin Australia on your Altitude Black Mastercard. Vouchers will then be available in your Velocity Frequent Flyer account within 10 business days.7
To redeem your Economy X Seat Upgrade vouchers you must first book an eligible domestic flight directly with Virgin Australia. Once you have booked an eligible domestic flight with Virgin Australia, you will need to call the Virgin Australia Guest Contact Centre on 1300 038 373 to redeem your Economy X Seat Upgrade vouchers.7
As a current Westpac Altitude Black cardholder, you are eligible for complimentary Overseas Travel Insurance cover, provided you:
1. You either permanently reside in Australia or hold a current and valid residency Visa and reside in Australia; and
2. You spend at least $A500 on your prepaid travel costs (i.e. your travel costs that you pay for before leaving Australia) and you charge these costs to your Altitude Black card. This could include return travel tickets, airport or departure taxes, overseas accommodation etc.; and
3. You have a return overseas travel ticket before departing Australia; and
4. You are not over 80 years of age when you first become eligible for this cover by meeting the above conditions.
Overseas travel insurance4 (see policy for details)
- Medical and hospital expenses incurred overseas;
- Loss or damage to personal property;
- Loss or damage to travel documents;
- Personal liability cover;
- Rental vehicle excess cover for loss or damage to rental vehicle;
- Unexpected cancellation of travel arrangements and other unexpected expenses.
Transit accident insurance4
Transit accident insurance cover against specified accidental death or injury when sustained while riding, boarding or alighting as a passenger in a plane, bus, train or ferry when you have purchased the tickets for the entire trip using your Altitude Black card before you leave.
Purchase security insurance4
4 months cover against loss, theft or accidental damage for a range of new personal items purchased in Australia and overseas using your Altitude Black Card.
Extended warranty insurance4
Up to 24 months extended warranty insurance cover (in addition to the manufacturer's expressed Australian warranty) on a range of new personal items purchased using your Altitude Black card.
We’ve recently partnered with Ten Lifestyle Services. Westpac Altitude Black cardholders will now be able to browse and book experiences with ease, purchase hard-to-get tickets, make last-minute restaurant reservations and more, all online. You can find out more here, or reach our Lifestyle Managers on 1300 651 999 (option 4) for 24/7 personalised assistance.
Before you apply
To improve the likelihood your application is approved and in a timely manner, please read this section carefully before applying. Please note that we cannot process new credit applications while a COVID-19 relief package is applied to your account. If you wish to proceed with an application, you will first have to request a withdrawal from the package through Online Banking or call us on 132 032. For more information please visit our COVID-19 customer support webpage.
As part of reviewing your application we look at the information on your credit report, which is produced by an independent credit bureau. This report shows a snapshot of your liabilities, available credit, and your repayment behaviour for these accounts. To learn more about credit reporting in Australia visit www.westpac.com.au/ccr.
It’s a good idea to view your own credit report and check your details are correct before starting your application. You can do this for free by visiting the credit bureau website directly, or via CreditSmart.org.au. We work with three bureaus: Equifax, illion and Experian, so you might like to check the report produced by each of them.
Before starting your application, make sure you have everything in the list below:
If you’re an existing Westpac customer, you’ll also need to:
Any errors in the details you provide could delay your process, or even mean you are declined. Again, checking against your credit report can help here.
Every time you apply for any form of credit, your credit history is checked by the credit provider. This is listed as an enquiry on your report. Multiple applications can be seen as a red flag and reduce your chances of approval.
Things you should know
Credit criteria, fees and charges apply. Switches, upgrades or Westpac group staff are ineligible.
This promotion may be varied or withdrawn at any time and is not available in conjunction with any other promotion.
Be credit savvy: Before applying, consider a realistic credit limit and check all conditions, interest rates, fees and charges on your selected card.
†Eligible purchases do not include interest, fees and charges, cash or ATM cash advances, cash equivalent transactions, gambling transactions, a purchase from or payment to a local, state or federal government or government related agency, BPAY or similar transactions (such as Post Billpay), refunds and balance transfers debited from the card account.
The Westpac Extras program is subject to the at Westpac.com.au/extras. Offers will also be subject to their own terms and conditions.
~ Bonus Qantas or Velocity Points Promotion Altitude Black: To be eligible for up to 120,000 bonus Qantas or Velocity Points, you must apply and be approved for a new Altitude Black credit card between 31st March 2021 and 7th September 2021.
You will receive an initial 90,000 bonus points if you spend $4,000 or more on eligible purchases within 90 days of card approval. These will be credited to your points balance within 12 weeks of meeting this spend criteria.
You will receive an additional 30,000 bonus points if you keep your account open for more than 12 months and continue to use the card. These additional points will be credited to your points balance within 12 weeks, after the first eligible purchase is made in the second year of your card account being active.
If you do not meet the minimum spend criteria within 90 days of card approval, you forfeit the initial 90,000 bonus points only. However, you are still eligible for the additional 30,000 bonus points in the second year if you continue to use your card.
Existing Westpac customers who currently hold an Earth Classic, Earth Platinum, Earth Platinum Plus, Earth Black, Altitude Classic, Altitude Platinum or Altitude Black credit card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer.
Qantas or Velocity Points earned during a statement cycle are added to your Qantas or Velocity Points balance on a monthly basis. Eligible purchases do not include interest, fees and charges, cash or ATM cash advances, cash equivalent transactions, gambling transactions, a purchase from or payment to a local, state or federal government or government related agency, BPAY or similar transactions (such as Post Billpay), refunds and balance transfers debited from the card account.
##Altitude Black Balance Transfer Promotion: This offer is available when you apply and are approved for a new Altitude Black credit card between 31st March 2021 and 7th September 2021, and request at card application to transfer balance(s) from up to 3 non-Westpac Australian issued credit, charge or store cards. A balance transfer fee of 1% will apply to balance(s) transferred to a new Altitude Black credit card. The balance transfer fee will be charged to the card account on the same day the balance(s) are debited to the account. The promotional rate will apply to balance(s) transferred (min $200 up to 80% of your approved available credit limit) for the promotional period. Activating your card triggers the processing of the balance transfer. The applicable variable cash advance rate will apply to any unpaid balance transfer amount remaining at the end of the promotional period, unless the amount is paid off earlier. Westpac will not be responsible for any delays that may occur in processing payment to your other card account(s) and will not close the account(s). If your account has an interest free period for purchases, to be entitled to that interest free period, you need to pay off the 'Monthly Payment Balance' listed on your statement of account (not the full closing balance) by the relevant payment due date.
Mastercard® is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.
6. Rewards Points: The earning and redemption of Altitude Points, Velocity Points and Qantas Points are subject to the Altitude Terms and Conditions. Purchases that are not eligible to earn Rewards Points are set out in the Altitude Terms and Conditions. You do not receive points if you have not paid the Minimum Payment Due in full and on time and in other circumstances. Qantas and Velocity Points earned during a statement cycle are added to your respective Points balance on a monthly basis.
2. Interest free period is available on purchases when you pay the Closing Balance (or the Monthly Payment Balance with a balance transfer) in full by the payment due date.
Altitude Velocity or Qantas: In order to earn and redeem points, you must be a member of the relevant Frequent Flyer program. An annual $50 Rewards fee applies for customers who choose this option.
Concierge Services for Altitude Black. Concierge services are provided by a third party supplier. For further details including terms and conditions visit westpac.tenconcierge.com
3. Complimentary Lounge Passes
Priority Pass Membership: complimentary Priority Pass membership is available to Westpac Altitude Black primary cardholders earning Altitude Points through the Altitude Rewards program. It requires enrolment through prioritypass.com/westpacblack. The Primary Cardholder receives two complimentary visits in any 12-month period, one of which may be used by an accompanying guest. Subsequent visits in the 12-month period incur an additional cost, currently US$32 per person, per visit, which will be automatically charged to the primary cardholder's Altitude Black card. A Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee will apply to the conversion amount. Unused visits expire and cannot be carried forward to any subsequent year. Visit the Contact Us page on www.prioritypass.com for enquiries about the Priority Pass program. Subject to the Priority Pass Conditions Of Use.
Qantas Club Complimentary Lounge Invitations: As a Westpac Altitude Black card cardholder earning Qantas Points, you are eligible for two Qantas Club Complimentary Invitations within each 12-month period of your anniversary registration date when you register your Altitude Black card via loungepass.altitudeblack.com.au and use your card in Australia to purchase selected Qantas products and services. Selected Qantas products and services are the following items purchased directly from Qantas: Qantas passenger flights (with a QF flight number), Qantas Frequent Flyer and Qantas Club membership joining and annual fees. Excludes Jetstar, Qantas Holidays, Qantas branded non-airfare products and any Qantas products and services not purchased directly from Qantas.
The Qantas Club Complimentary Invitations will be made available within 14 business days of meeting eligible spend via the Qantas Complimentary Invitations Portal, provided you are not in breach of the and your account remains open. Log in to the portal using your Qantas Frequent Flyer account to access your invitation, link it with an eligible Qantas flight booking, or to find out more information. To receive your Complimentary Invitations, you must have provided Westpac with your Qantas Frequent Flyer Number. If you have not yet registered for your complimentary Qantas Frequent Flyer Membership, you may join at qantaspoints.com/ffjoinwestpac.
Qantas Club Complimentary Invitations are provided courtesy of Westpac, and are valid for Qantas Club and Qantas operated International Business Lounges only (excluding Los Angeles Tom Bradley Airport lounge). Not valid in International First Class lounges, Chairman's Lounge, Qantas Domestic Business, Qantas oneworld® alliance airline, partner airline or associated lounges. Each invitation is valid for a single visit before the expiry date specified on the invitation, when travelling with Qantas or Jetstar with a Qantas (QF) or Jetstar (JQ, 3K, GK, BL) flight number. Qantas Club Complimentary Invitations must not be resold. Qantas reserves the right to cancel invitations and disqualify future invitations that are in breach of this policy.
Access and use is subject to Qantas Club rules which are available at qantas.com/qantasclub. Access may not be available if the applicable lounge is full or near capacity, at the full discretion of lounge staff. Access and use of Qantas Club lounges is subject to Qantas Club terms and conditions.
Virgin Australia Domestic Lounge Passes: Two complimentary single-entry Virgin Australia Domestic Lounge Passes are available to Westpac Altitude Black Mastercard cardholders earning Velocity Points through the Altitude Velocity rewards program. To be eligible, your card account must not be in arrears for more than two consecutive statement cycles in accordance with the Altitude Terms and Conditions, you must have provided Westpac with your Velocity Frequent Flyer number and you have made a direct spend with Virgin Australia every year on your Altitude Black Mastercard from your card open date. Virgin Australia Lounge Passes are valid for 12 months from date of issuance and will appear on your Velocity Frequent Flyer membership account within 10 business days of meeting eligible spend. Virgin Australia lounge is operated by Virgin Australia Airlines Pty Ltd in selected domestic airport locations available at virginaustralia.com/au/en/experience/at-the-airport/lounge/# locations and entry are subject to the Westpac Altitude Velocity Black Mastercard Lounge Pass Conditions and Virgin Australia lounge Terms and Conditions, available at experience. velocityfrequentflyer.com/partners-offers/credit-cards-bankinginsurance/westpac and is subject to change from time to time.
4. Complimentary insurance covers: AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 AFSL 245631 (trading as Allianz Global Assistance) under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac) which allows eligible Westpac cardholders to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. Any advice on insurance is general advice only and not based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. The terms, conditions, limits and exclusions of the group policy are set out in the which may be amended from time to time. Westpac does not guarantee this insurance.
7. Economy X Seat Upgrade Vouchers: Two complimentary Economy X Seat Upgrade Vouchers (for eligible domestic flights only) are available to Westpac Altitude Platinum Mastercard and Westpac Altitude Black Mastercard primary cardholders earning Velocity Points through the Altitude Velocity rewards program. To be eligible, your card account must not be in arrears for more than two consecutive statement cycles in accordance with the Altitude Terms and Conditions, you must have provided Westpac with your Velocity Frequent Flyer number and you have made a direct spend with Virgin Australia (Eligible Spend) on your Altitude Platinum Mastercard or Altitude Black Mastercard every year from card open date. Economy X Seat Upgrade Vouchers are valid for 12 months from date of issuance and will appear on your Velocity Frequent Flyer membership account within 10 business days of meeting Eligible Spend. Economy X Seat Upgrades are available to other passengers travelling on the same itinerary as the primary cardholder. Each Economy X Seat Upgrade Voucher can only be redeemed on an eligible non-stop Virgin Australia operated domestic Australian flight. The Economy X Upgrade Voucher is valid per single flight sector only. All Economy X Seat Upgrade Voucher redemptions are subject to availability. All travel is subject to the Virgin Australia Fare Conditions and Virgin Australia Conditions of Carriage as amended from time to time. No Velocity Points or Status Credits will be awarded for Economy X Seat Upgrade Voucher redemptions. To redeem, book an eligible domestic flight with Virgin Australia on your Altitude Velocity Mastercard and then call the Virgin Australia Guest Contact Centre on 1300 038 373 at least 24 hours prior to your flight to apply your Economy X Seat Upgrade. All Economy X Seat Upgrade Voucher redemptions are subject to availability and neither Virgin Australia nor Westpac guarantee that Economy X seats will be available on the flight you may wish to redeem on. All travel is subject to the Economy X standard Terms and Conditions and the Virgin Australia Fare Conditions and Virgin Australia Conditions of Carriage as amended from time to time.
Read the before making a decision and consider if it is right for you. To use Apple Pay you will need an eligible card and a compatible device with a supported operating system. See our Apple Pay FAQs for more information. Apple, the Apple logo, Apple Pay, Apple Watch and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Read the Samsung Pay Terms and Conditions before making a decision and consider if it is right for you. To use Samsung Pay you will need an eligible card and a compatible device with a supported operating system. See our Samsung Pay FAQs for more information. Samsung and Samsung Pay are trademarks or registered trademarks of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
The before making a decision and consider if it is right for you. To use Google Pay you will need an eligible card and a compatible device with a supported operating system. See our Google Pay FAQs for more information. Google Pay is a trademarks of Google Inc.
Westpac Fraud Money Back Guarantee ensures that customers will be reimbursed for any unauthorised transactions provided that the customer has not contributed to the loss and contacted Westpac promptly. Refer to the card's for full details, including when a customer will be liable.
Registered to BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518