The festive season means more shopping and more time for holidays. So how can you work them both to your advantage where your Westpac rewards credit card’s concerned?
Not only could it be the time to earn more points on the purchases you make with your card, but it could be a good opportunity to redeem your points for the rewards you want – from that special gift to that long-awaited getaway. Plus, don’t forget to take advantage of all your card’s included benefits at home and away.
- Pile up your points on party-season purchases
- Plan your holidays well in advance
- Know your travel and shopping benefits
- Let your concierge make your holiday more relaxing
Whether you’re buying gifts for family and friends, stocking up on festive food or simply going out more, the festive season often involves spending more than you would at other times of year. And this can mean extra opportunities to earn points.
Think about what you’re likely to spend money on and cross-check that against eligible purchase criteria – remember, you can’t earn points on fees, cash, cash equivalent transactions, BPAY, refunds and balance transfers debited from the card account.
While the festive season can be a good time to put your points towards holidays, it’s also one of the most popular times for travel. You might consider planning ahead if you’re thinking of trying to use your points for flights and hotels, especially if it’s during school holidays.
As you’re ramping up your shopping and travel, keep your card benefits in mind so you can make the most of them when needed. For instance, if your card gives you complimentary airline lounge passes, now could be the time to use them.
Also remember any complimentary travel insurance 4 included with your credit card, which could help you save on insurance if you’re heading overseas. On top of this, purchase security insurance means you may be covered if something happens to gifts and other items bought with your card.
If your rewards card comes with a complimentary concierge service, now could be a great time to outsource some of your holiday organising. Concierge teams are experts at helping with things like flight and hotel bookings; planning holiday activities such as special events, golf, shows and concerts; as well as finding the perfect gifts for friends and family.
Not yet a Westpac rewards credit card owner? Read more about the Westpac rewards credit cards.
Things you should know
Credit criteria, fees and charges apply.
This information does not take into account your financial needs, individual circumstances or objectives. Read the terms and conditions before making a decision and consider whether the product is appropriate for you.
Be credit savvy: Before applying, consider a realistic credit limit and check all conditions, interest rates, fees and charges on your selected card.
Altitude Rewards: You must be a member of the relevant frequent flyer program to redeem Altitude Points for frequent flyer points. The Altitude Terms and Conditions and the terms and conditions of the relevant frequent flyer program apply. A joining fee may apply. Availability of Reward flights may be limited. For more information on the Altitude Rewards program, visit altituderewards.com.au.
Altitude Velocity or Qantas: In order to earn and redeem points, you must be a member of the relevant Frequent Flyer program. An annual $50 Rewards fee applies for customers who choose this option.
Concierge Services are provided by a third party supplier. For further details including terms and conditions visit westpac.tenconcierge.com
4. Complimentary insurance covers: AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 AFSL 245631, trading as Allianz Global Assistance (AGA), under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 (Allianz), has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac) which allows eligible persons to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. Access to the benefit of cover under the Credit Card Complimentary Insurance is provided to eligible Westpac cardholders by operation of s48 of the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth). If an eligible persons wishes to claim any of these benefits, they will be bound by the eligibility criteria, terms, conditions, limits and exclusions contained in the which may be amended from time to time. This insurance is underwritten by Allianz. Westpac does not guarantee this insurance. This information does not take your personal objectives, circumstances or needs into account. Consider its appropriateness to these factors before acting on it.
6. Rewards Points: The earning and redemption of Altitude Points, Velocity Points and Qantas Points are subject to the . Purchases that are not eligible to earn Rewards Points are set out in the . You do not receive points if you have not paid the Minimum Payment Due in full and on time and in other circumstances. Qantas and Velocity Points earned during a statement cycle are added to your respective Points balance on a monthly basis.
For Altitude Qantas Platinum cards, earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 up to a maximum of $100,000 spent on eligible purchases annually. For Altitude Qantas Black cards, earn 0.75 Qantas Points per $1 up to a maximum of $250,000 spent on eligible purchases annually. This annual limit resets in January each year, based on your statement date. Bonus Points earned are not part of your annual cap.
Westpac is the credit provider and credit licensee under National Consumer Credit Laws.