Balance transfer credit cards
Our hero balance transfer offer
0% p.a. for 28 months on balance transfers**
When requested at card application. 1% balance transfer fee applies. After 28 months, the rate reverts to the variable cash advance rate. Plus, a $0 first year annual card fee ($59 thereafter). Find out more
Our other balance transfer card offers:
How does a Westpac credit card help me?
Westpac Extras includes great shopping cashback offers that work on top of any other discounts. Simply use your card as normal and we'll credit your account. No codes, no coupons, all-easy.
Plan smarter repayments
Use our SmartPlan repayment planner to break large purchases or balances down into regular instalments while keeping interest-free days.1
Track your spending easily
Adjust payment limits, place your card on hold and track your balance quickly and easily using the Mobile Banking app.
Frequently asked questions
A balance transfer is when you move balances from one or more credit or store cards to another credit card. Consolidating multiple cards into a new card can make it simpler for you to manage your credit card debt. For example, it could give you only one monthly repayment and annual card fee on your debt, provided you close your previous cards.
With a Westpac balance transfer, you can:
- Consolidate up to 3 non-Westpac Australian issued credit, charge or store cards.
- Transfer up to 80% of the credit limit available on the Westpac card you’re transferring to (minimum transfer of $200).
The process is simple:
- Apply for a Westpac credit card online.
- In your application, include the account numbers of the credit cards you would like to transfer, the providers' biller codes and the amounts you'd like to transfer.
- Activate your card. Any approved balance transfers will occur once your card is active.
Note: Westpac will not cancel your other cards. If your aim is to pay down your balances, it may be helpful to cancel your old cards once the balance transfer is complete so you don't use them to accrue more debt. You can usually ask to cancel a card account over the phone, provided the card has been paid off.
SmartPlan helps you stay on top of large purchases and balances by breaking them down into regular installments.1
Credit card balance SmartPlan
Turn any of your outstanding purchase, cash advance or promotional plan (e.g. balance transfer) balances of $200 or more into a SmartPlan. The purchase balance SmartPlan type is currently available at a lower interest rate.1
Large purchase SmartPlan
Create a large purchase SmartPlan to help you pay off an individual ‘big ticket’ item of $500 or more that you’ve bought on your card in the last 30 days – think purchases such as a flight, hotel bill or even a new fridge. Large purchase SmartPlans are currently available at a lower interest rate.1
The security of your card and information is extremely important to us. We have a range of security measures in place to ensure that your account is protected, including online. Westpac Added Online Security provides extra peace of mind when shopping online at participating retailers.
We also have your back if something does go wrong. Our Fraud Money Back Guarantee ensures that customers will be reimbursed for any unauthorised transactions provided that the customer has not contributed to the loss and contacted Westpac promptly.
Things you should know
Credit criteria, fees and charges apply. Switches, upgrades or Westpac group staff are ineligible.
This promotion may be varied or withdrawn at any time and is not available in conjunction with any other promotion.
Be credit savvy: Before applying, consider a realistic credit limit and check all conditions, interest rates, fees and charges on your selected card.
**Low Rate Balance transfer promotion: This offer is available when you apply for a new Low Rate credit card between 24th June 2021 and 30th November 2021, and request at card application to transfer balance(s) from up to 3 non-Westpac Australian issued credit, charge or store cards. A balance transfer fee of 1% will apply to balance(s) transferred to a new Low Rate credit card. The balance transfer fee will be charged to the card account on the same day the balance(s) are debited to the account. The promotional rate will apply to balance(s) transferred (min $200 up to 80% of your approved available credit limit) for the promotional period. Activating your card triggers the processing of the balance transfer. The applicable variable cash advance rate will apply to any unpaid balance transfer amount remaining at the end of the promotional period unless the amount is paid off earlier. Westpac will not be responsible for any delays that may occur in processing payment to your other card account(s) and will not close the account(s). If your account has an interest free period for purchases, to be entitled to that interest free period, you need to pay off the 'Monthly Payment Balance' listed on your statement of account (not the full closing balance) by the relevant payment due date. These promotional offers are not available if you apply under the Westpac Premier Advantage Package.
†Eligible purchases do not include interest, fees and charges, cash or ATM cash advances, cash equivalent transactions, gambling transactions, a purchase from or payment to a local, state or federal government or government related agency, BPAY or similar transactions (such as Post Billpay), refunds and balance transfers debited from the card account.
<< Altitude Points Accelerated Earn: Available for Altitude Rewards cards only, excludes Westpac Altitude Qantas and Altitude Velocity cards. For details on Accelerated Earn partner airlines and merchants visit Altitude Platinum or Altitude Black. Accelerated Earn partners are subject to change.
<<< Accelerated Earn - Shop, Stream, Ride and Stay: Applies only to domestic spend made in Australian dollars or any other currency (and converted to Australian dollars) using your card or card account with a Merchant who is located in Australia. Excludes Westpac Altitude Qantas and Westpac Altitude Velocity. Participating merchants are subject to change.
4. Complimentary insurance covers: AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 AFSL 245631 (trading as Allianz Global Assistance) under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac) which allows eligible Westpac cardholders to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. Any advice on insurance is general advice only and not based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. The terms, conditions, limits and exclusions of the group policy are set out in the which may be amended from time to time. Westpac does not guarantee this insurance.
5. Additional cardholder: An additional credit card can be issued on the primary cardholder’s account to any nominated person 16 years or over. All transactions using the additional credit card will be the responsibility of the primary cardholder. All Altitude, Velocity or Qantas Points remain the benefit of the primary cardholder.
6. Rewards Points: The earning and redemption of Altitude Points, Velocity Points and Qantas Points are subject to the Altitude Terms and Conditions. Purchases that are not eligible to earn Rewards Points are set out in the Altitude Terms and Conditions. You do not receive points if you have not paid the Minimum Payment Due in full and on time and in other circumstances. Qantas and Velocity Points earned during a statement cycle are added to your respective Points balance on a monthly basis.
7. Economy X Seat Upgrade Vouchers: Two complimentary Economy X Seat Upgrade Vouchers (for eligible domestic flights only) are available to Westpac Altitude Platinum Mastercard and Westpac Altitude Black Mastercard primary cardholders earning Velocity Points through the Altitude Velocity rewards program. To be eligible, your card account must not be in arrears for more than two consecutive statement cycles in accordance with the Altitude Terms and Conditions, you must have provided Westpac with your Velocity Frequent Flyer number and you have made a direct spend with Virgin Australia (Eligible Spend) on your Altitude Platinum Mastercard or Altitude Black Mastercard every year from card open date. Economy X Seat Upgrade Vouchers are valid for 12 months from date of issuance and will appear on your Velocity Frequent Flyer membership account within 10 business days of meeting Eligible Spend. Economy X Seat Upgrades are available to other passengers travelling on the same itinerary as the primary cardholder. Each Economy X Seat Upgrade Voucher can only be redeemed on an eligible non-stop Virgin Australia operated domestic Australian flight. The Economy X Upgrade Voucher is valid per single flight sector only. All Economy X Seat Upgrade Voucher redemptions are subject to availability. All travel is subject to the Virgin Australia Fare Conditions and Virgin Australia Conditions of Carriage as amended from time to time. No Velocity Points or Status Credits will be awarded for Economy X Seat Upgrade Voucher redemptions. To redeem, book an eligible domestic flight with Virgin Australia on your Altitude Velocity Mastercard and then call the Virgin Australia Guest Contact Centre on 1300 038 373 at least 24 hours prior to your flight to apply your Economy X Seat Upgrade. All Economy X Seat Upgrade Voucher redemptions are subject to availability and neither Virgin Australia nor Westpac guarantee that Economy X seats will be available on the flight you may wish to redeem on. All travel is subject to the Economy X standard Terms and Conditions and the Virgin Australia Fare Conditions and Virgin Australia Conditions of Carriage as amended from time to time.
3. Complimentary Lounge Passes
Priority Pass Membership: complimentary Priority Pass membership is available to Westpac Altitude Black primary cardholders earning Altitude Points through the Altitude Rewards program. It requires enrolment through prioritypass.com/westpacblack. The Primary Cardholder receives two complimentary visits in any 12-month period, one of which may be used by an accompanying guest. Subsequent visits in the 12-month period incur an additional cost, currently US$32 per person, per visit, which will be automatically charged to the primary cardholder's Altitude Black card. A Foreign Transaction Fee will apply to the conversion amount. Unused visits expire and cannot be carried forward to any subsequent year. Visit the Contact Us page on www.prioritypass.com for enquiries about the Priority Pass program. Subject to the Priority Pass Conditions Of Use.
Qantas Club Complimentary Lounge Invitations: As a Westpac Altitude Black card cardholder earning Qantas Points, you are eligible for two Qantas Club Complimentary Invitations within each 12-month period of your anniversary registration date when you register your Altitude Black card via loungepass.altitudeblack.com.au and use your card in Australia to purchase selected Qantas products and services. Selected Qantas products and services are the following items purchased directly from Qantas: Qantas passenger flights (with a QF flight number), Qantas Frequent Flyer and Qantas Club membership joining and annual fees. Excludes Jetstar, Qantas Holidays, Qantas branded non-airfare products and any Qantas products and services not purchased directly from Qantas.
The Qantas Club Complimentary Invitations will be made available within 14 business days of meeting eligible spend via the Qantas Complimentary Invitations Portal, provided you are not in breach of the and your account remains open. Log in to the portal using your Qantas Frequent Flyer account to access your invitation, link it with an eligible Qantas flight booking, or to find out more information. To receive your Complimentary Invitations, you must have provided Westpac with your Qantas Frequent Flyer Number. If you have not yet registered for your complimentary Qantas Frequent Flyer Membership, you may join at qantaspoints.com/ffjoinwestpac.
Qantas Club Complimentary Invitations are provided courtesy of Westpac, and are valid for Qantas Club and Qantas operated International Business Lounges only (excluding Los Angeles Tom Bradley Airport lounge). Not valid in International First Class lounges, Chairman's Lounge, Qantas Domestic Business, Qantas oneworld® alliance airline, partner airline or associated lounges. Each invitation is valid for a single visit before the expiry date specified on the invitation, when travelling with Qantas or Jetstar with a Qantas (QF) or Jetstar (JQ, 3K, GK, BL) flight number. Qantas Club Complimentary Invitations must not be resold. Qantas reserves the right to cancel invitations and disqualify future invitations that are in breach of this policy.
Access and use is subject to Qantas Club rules which are available at qantas.com/qantasclub. Access may not be available if the applicable lounge is full or near capacity, at the full discretion of lounge staff. Access and use of Qantas Club lounges is subject to Qantas Club terms and conditions.
Virgin Australia Domestic Lounge Passes: Two complimentary single-entry Virgin Australia Domestic Lounge Passes are available to Westpac Altitude Black Mastercard cardholders earning Velocity Points through the Altitude Velocity rewards program. To be eligible, your card account must not be in arrears for more than two consecutive statement cycles in accordance with the Altitude Terms and Conditions, you must have provided Westpac with your Velocity Frequent Flyer number and you have made a direct spend with Virgin Australia every year on your Altitude Black Mastercard from your card open date. Virgin Australia Lounge Passes are valid for 12 months from date of issuance and will appear on your Velocity Frequent Flyer membership account within 10 business days of meeting eligible spend. Virgin Australia lounge is operated by Virgin Australia Airlines Pty Ltd in selected domestic airport locations available at virginaustralia.com/au/en/experience/at-the-airport/lounge/# locations and entry are subject to the Westpac Altitude Velocity Black Mastercard Lounge Pass Conditions and Virgin Australia lounge Terms and Conditions, available at experience. velocityfrequentflyer.com/partners-offers/credit-cards-bankinginsurance/westpac and is subject to change from time to time.
Altitude Rewards: You must be a member of the relevant frequent flyer program to redeem Altitude Points for frequent flyer points. The Altitude Terms and Conditions and the terms and conditions of the relevant frequent flyer program apply. A joining fee may apply. Availability of Reward flights may be limited.
Altitude Velocity or Qantas: In order to earn and redeem points, you must be a member of the relevant Frequent Flyer program. An annual $50 Rewards fee applies for customers who choose this option.
Qantas products and services: Selected Qantas products and services are Qantas passenger flights with a QF flight number purchased directly from Qantas.com; Qantas Frequent Flyer and Qantas Club membership joining and/ or annual fees. For full Qantas Frequent Flyer Terms and Conditions, visit Qantas.com/terms.
1 SmartPlan: SmartPlan is currently available for all Westpac consumer credit cards. Fees may apply. You need to register for Online Banking before you can set up a SmartPlan. Read the available at westpac.com.au. The establishment fee is charged upfront but is payable in monthly instalments over the term of your Large Purchase SmartPlan. This means that if you cancel your SmartPlan (or don’t make the required SmartPlan repayments) you must still pay the whole establishment fee, including any interest on the establishment fee. SmartPlan requires cardholders to make regular monthly payments for the full term and at the interest rate that applies when the SmartPlan is created. All payments made to your credit card account will be applied first to any SmartPlan instalments. Therefore, debts accruing a higher interest rate may be left unpaid during the SmartPlan term. Any balance transfer amounts on a SmartPlan must have a remaining term of between 3 and 36 months to be eligible for a SmartPlan. See for more details. SmartPlan cancellation takes up to 2 business days. When a SmartPlan ends, any remaining balance will revert to the variable annual interest rate for your balance type or special offer rate as applicable. Cardholders keep interest-free days (if applicable) after a balance transfer when you pay your monthly payment (being your SmartPlan repayments plus the minimum monthly repayment on your credit card account) SmartPlan repayment.
Autopay: A fixed dollar or percentage of your monthly credit card statement “closing balance” will be paid. If the “closing balance” is less than your nominated amount, only the “closing balance” will be paid. If your nominated amount falls below the “minimum payment due”, Westpac will debit the “minimum payment due”.
Registered to BPAY Pty Ltd ABN 69 079 137 518
Read the before making a decision and consider if it is right for you. To use Apple Pay you will need an eligible card and a compatible device with a supported operating system. See our Apple Pay FAQs for more information. Apple, the Apple logo, Apple Pay, Apple Watch and iPhone are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Mastercard® is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.