Student bank account & debit card
Why Westpac Choice?
- Debit Mastercard®
Use your Debit Mastercard ®1 to shop securely online, access cash at ATMs and use PayPass™ to tap and go on purchases under $100.
- ATM network at home and overseas
Pay no ATM withdrawal fee at Westpac Group ATMs in Australia and over 50,000 ATMs globally via the Global ATM Alliance 2. Other fees may apply.
- 2018 Canstar Bank of the Year - Everyday Banking
Westpac was awarded Bank of the Year - Everyday Banking by Canstar for features that include an outstanding Online Banking platform as well as comprehensive ATM and branch coverage throughout Australia.
Award winning mobile banking
Our mobile banking app was rated among the best in the world in 2017 by Forrester Research (Global Mobile Banking Functionality Benchmark)
Withdraw cash using your phone from any Westpac, St.George, Bank of Melbourne or BankSA ATM3
Make purchases with Google Pay™ by simply tapping your mobile at contactless terminals4.
Get $50 on us + your chance to win $5,000
Get $50 when you open a new Westpac Choice account. Apply online by 9 October 2019. Deposit $500 and make 5 eligible purchases within 30 days. Conditions apply#
Go in to win $5,000
If you’re a fulltime student aged 18 or over, you could win one of three $5,000 cash prizes. Simply open a new Westpac Choice account before 30 August 2019 and get your student ID verified in branch by 10 September 2019. Winners notified on 18 September 2019. Conditions apply*
|Standard fees (fees may change)||Amount|
|Online Banking withdrawal||$0|
|Telephone Banking withdrawal (automated or staff assisted)||$0|
|Westpac, St.George, BankSA, Bank of Melbourne ATM withdrawal||$0|
|Non-Westpac, St.George, BankSA, Bank of Melbourne ATMs within Australia cash withdrawal or balance enquiry - however the ATM owner may apply an ATM operator fee||$0|
|Branch staff assisted withdrawal||$0|
|Dishonour of direct debits||$5|
|Periodical payment not made fee||$5|
|Account overdrawn fee||$15|
|Standard fees (fees may change)||Amount|
|Non-Westpac, St.George, BankSA and Bank of Melbourne ATMs within Australia cash withdrawal or balance enquiry - however the ATM owner may apply an ATM operator fee||$0|
|Overseas ATM cash withdrawal from a non-Global Alliance Partner ATM||$5|
|Overseas ATM cash withdrawal from a Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Overseas ATM balance enquiry from a non-Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Overseas ATM balance enquiry from a Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee||Depends on transaction type - see below|
Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee
The Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee is payable and will be incorporated into the $AUD transaction amount shown on your statement. The fee charged will either be:
a) 3% of the $AUD transaction amount where a transaction is made in foreign currency and the merchant or financial institution accepting the card is located outside Australia (comprising of 2% Westpac Processing Fee plus 1% Westpac On-Charged Scheme Fee); or
b) 2.2% of the $AUD transaction amount where a transaction is made in foreign currency and the merchant or financial institution accepting the card is located in Australia (comprising of 2% Westpac Processing Fee plus 0.2% Westpac On-Charged Scheme Fee).
Global Alliance Partners
For more information on participating Global Alliance Partners in designated countries, see Accessing your accounts overseas.
Credit Cardholders who currently withdraw money from linked Westpac account via credit card, it is important to know that this functionality may not be available when using overseas ATMs, including Global Alliance ATMs. To ensure access to Savings and/or Cheque account funds when overseas please speak to us about obtaining a Debit Mastercard®. Go to our Debit Mastercard page or visit a Westpac branch. Terms and Conditions and Fees and charges may apply.
Get a one-year Student Discount Card on us
Open a new Westpac Choice account to get a complimentary Student Discount Card, if you’re a full-time student^ (saving you $30). The card offers savings on thousands of share-worthy travel and local experiences. Like up to 40% off international airfares at STA Travel as well as discounts on hostels, restaurants, museums and more. Conditions apply.^
Card on hold
Can’t find your card? Don’t panic, you can temporarily lock it in seconds with Card on Hold while you search7.
Westpac Protect™ SMS Code
Increase your security when banking online by using your mobile phone to confirm certain transactions via text messages.
Safe Online Banking guarantee
If your Westpac account is compromised as a result of Internet fraud, we guarantee to repay any missing funds, providing you comply with our Online Banking Terms and Conditions.
Things you should know
Before making a decision about any of our products or services, please read all the terms and conditions. Fees and charges apply and may change.
1. Debit Mastercard holders need to be at least 14 years of age, and have an Australian residential address to be eligible for the card. If you're not eligible for a Debit Mastercard, apply for a Handycard to access your account.
2. A 3% Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee applies to overseas debit or credit card withdrawals. A 2% cash advance fee applies to credit card withdrawals where the "Credit" option is selected. A list of Global Alliance members is available. It is important to know that the functionality to withdraw money from a linked Westpac account via Credit Card is not available when using overseas ATMs, including Global Alliance ATMs. To ensure access to Savings and or Cheque account funds when overseas please speak to us about obtaining a Debit Mastercard®.
3. Cardless cash is available on eligible Westpac transaction accounts with a linked debit card. Cardless cash limit of 3 withdrawals per day applies, subject to $500 daily withdrawal limit and $1,000 weekly withdrawal limit. Only available at Westpac Groups ATMs in Australia. To access cardless cash on your mobile you must be registered to use Westpac Online Banking and download the Westpac Mobile Banking App.
4. Google Pay: Read the Terms and Conditions before making a decision and consider if it is right for you. Available for eligible cards. To use Google Pay you will need to use a compatible device with a supported operating system.
5. Pay to Mobile: Australian bank accounts only. Terms, Conditions and Limits apply.
6. Finger print login: Fingerprint sign in is available on compatible devices only. Customers must be registered for Westpac online banking and have set up fingerprint ID to use the service.
7. Card on hold: Available on personal credit and Mastercard® debit cards only. Cards to which a temporary lock can be applied will be listed when you sign in to Mobile Banking or Online Banking and visit Lock a card temporarily under Cards services.
8. Westpac Fraud Money Back Guarantee: Customers will be reimbursed for any unauthorised transactions provided that the customer has not contributed to the loss and contacted Westpac promptly.
^New Westpac Choice customers only. Offer available for full time students, or customers aged 31 years and under. This offer is valid for 90 days from the date your new Westpac Choice account is opened and you are required to have your ID verified before claiming this offer. This offer only provides you the first year ISIC membership valued at $30. The STA Travel voucher is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and can be used at any local STA Travel store and not online.
# $50 Offer: Excludes customers who hold or have held a Westpac Choice account at any time. To receive up to AUD$50 credited to an everyday account, customers must open a Westpac Choice account online (or in an Australian Westpac branch for Youth, Student and Migrant Choice accounts) between 10/7/19 and 09/10/2019 (inclusive) and must deposit $500 or more and make at least five (5) eligible purchases using their debit card within 30 days of account opening (‘eligible customer’). Eligible purchases: include in-store purchases, online purchases, regular card payments, PayPass, and Google Pay™ transactions. Offer excludes ATM withdrawals. Eligible customers will receive $50 deposited into their account within 45 days of account opening following successful identification verification. The account must remain open during this period in order to be eligible for the offer. Offer limited to one deposit per customer and is not available in conjunction with any other offer. Where a joint account is opened, if one of the joint account holders has already received their deposit in respect of another account, then none of the remaining joint account holders will be eligible for the offer in respect of the joint account. Read the Terms and Conditions available at westpac.com.au, including for fees and charges that may apply, before making a decision and consider if it is right for you.
* Promotion opens 9am AEST on 15.7.19 and closes 6pm on 30.8.19. Entry is open to all residents of Australia aged 18 years or over who are students enrolled full-time in any school, technical and further education, or tertiary institution. Entry is automatic. To enter: (1) open a Westpac Student Choice Account or a Westpac Choice Migrant Student Choice Account during the Promotion Period by : i) visiting any Westpac branch; or ii) calling 132 032; or iii) going online at Westpac.com.au ;(2) satisfy Westpac’s Account opening requirements and successfully verify your identification and full-time student status at any Westpac branch by 10 September 2019; and (3) keep the Account open as at the date of the Draw. Closed accounts are not eligible, (the “Entry”), in order to be considered an “Eligible Entrant”. Entrants must be new Westpac Student Choice Account or Westpac Choice Migrant Student Account holders. Entrants who hold or have held in the past a Westpac Student Choice Account or Westpac Choice Migrant Student Account are not Eligible Entrants for the purposes of this Promotion. There are three Prizes. Each Prize consists of $5,000 cash. Prize draw will take place 10am AEST on 16.9.19 at 200 Barangaroo Ave, Barangaroo. Winners notified on 18.9.19 and their name published in The Australian on 25.9.19. For full terms and conditions, visit www.westpac.com.au/personal-banking/bank-accounts/transaction/student-account-promotion-terms-conditions/. Promoter is Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 14. Authorised under: NSW Permit No: LTPS-19-35936, SA Permit No: T19/1096, ACT Permit No: TP 19/03689
Samsung, Galaxy S and Galaxy Note are trademarks of Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.
World Mastercard®, Mastercard® and the Mastercard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of, and PayPassTM is a trademark of, Mastercard International Incorporated.
St.George Bank, BankSA and Bank of Melbourne are divisions of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141.
© Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714.