Westpac Choice for full-time tertiary students
An everyday bank account for students.
Get a one-year Student card on us.
Save on thousands of share-worthy travel experiences.
Open a new Westpac Choice account to get a one-year Student discount card on us (saving you $30). The card gives you access to a world of discounts at home and in over 133 countries. Like up to 40% off international airfares at STA Travel as well as discounts on hostels, restaurants, museums and more. Conditions apply^.
More details about this offer below.
Why Westpac Choice?
- Debit Mastercard®
Use your Debit Mastercard®1 to shop securely online, access cash at ATMs and use PayPass™ to tap and go on purchases under $100.
- ATM network at home and overseas
Pay no ATM withdrawal fee at over 3,000 Westpac Group ATMs in Australia and over 50,000 ATMs globally via the Global ATM Alliance2. Other fees may apply.
- Award winning mobile banking
Westpac Live was ranked #1 Mobile Banking app in the world in the Forrester Research 2016 Global Mobile Banking Functionality Benchmark.
Use cardless cash3 to withdraw cash from any Westpac ATM without a Debit Card. On iPhone, Android and Windows Phone.
Make purchases with Android Pay™ by simply tapping your mobile at contactless terminals4.
|Standard fees (fees may change)||Amount|
|Online Banking withdrawal||$0|
|Telephone Banking withdrawal (automated or staff assisted)||$0|
|Westpac, St.George, BankSA, Bank of Melbourne ATM withdrawal||$0|
|Non-Westpac, St.George, BankSA, Bank of Melbourne ATMs within Australia cash withdrawal or balance enquiry - however the ATM owner may apply an ATM operator fee||$0|
|Branch staff assisted withdrawal||$0|
|Dishonour of direct debits||$5|
|Periodical payment not made fee||$5|
|Account overdrawn fee||$15|
|Standard fees (fees may change)||Amount|
|Non-Westpac, St.George, BankSA and Bank of Melbourne ATMs within Australia cash withdrawal or balance enquiry - however the ATM owner may apply an ATM operator fee||$0|
|Overseas ATM cash withdrawal from a non-Global Alliance Partner ATM||$5|
|Overseas ATM cash withdrawal from a Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Overseas ATM balance enquiry from a non-Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Overseas ATM balance enquiry from a Global Alliance Partner ATM||$0|
|Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee||Depends on transaction type - see below|
Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee
The Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee is payable and will be incorporated into the $AUD transaction amount shown on your statement. The fee charged will either be:
a) 3% of the $AUD transaction amount where a transaction is made in foreign currency and the merchant or financial institution accepting the card is located outside Australia (comprising of 2% Westpac Processing Fee plus 1% Westpac On-Charged Scheme Fee); or
b) 2.2% of the $AUD transaction amount where a transaction is made in foreign currency and the merchant or financial institution accepting the card is located in Australia (comprising of 2% Westpac Processing Fee plus 0.2% Westpac On-Charged Scheme Fee).
Global Alliance Partners
For more information on participating Global Alliance Partners in designated countries, see Accessing your accounts overseas.
Credit Cardholders who currently withdraw money from linked Westpac account via credit card, it is important to know that this functionality may not be available when using overseas ATMs, including Global Alliance ATMs. To ensure access to Savings and/or Cheque account funds when overseas please speak to us about obtaining a Debit Mastercard®. Go to our Debit Mastercard page or visit a Westpac branch. Terms and Conditions and Fees and charges may apply.
Card on hold
Can’t find your card? Don’t panic, you can temporarily lock it in seconds with Card on Hold while you search7.
Fraud Money Back Guarantee
Shop securely with your debit card. We’ve got your back with 24/7 fraud monitoring and our Fraud Money Back Guarantee8.
Westpac Protect™ SMS Code
Increase your security when banking online by using your mobile phone to confirm certain transactions via text messages when you bank online.
Safe Online Banking guarantee
If your Westpac account is compromised as a result of Internet fraud, we guarantee to repay any missing funds, providing you comply with our Online Banking Terms and Conditions.
Get a one-year Student card on us.
Open a new Westpac Choice account to get a one-year Student card on us. The card, powered by the International Student Identity Card Australia, is the biggest internationally-recognised student ID and gives you access to a world of discounts, including:
- Up to 40% off international airfares at STA Travel
- Discounts at top attractions in Australia and abroad.
- Over 42,000 discounts in over 133 countries
Plus with your new one-year Westpac Student card you could get there sooner with the following additional exclusive discounts at STA Travel:
- Additional 11% off hotels booked with STA Travel
- Additional $20 off long haul flights booked with STA Travel
- Additional $100 off any tour over $1,000 booked with STA Travel
Already have a Student or Youth Card?
If you already have an ISIC Student or Youth card, we’ll give you a $30 STA Travel voucher instead which is valid for 12 months to put towards your next big trip.
How to claim your complimentary card or STA Voucher?
Open a new Westpac Choice account online in 3 minutes, and once we’ve verified your ID we’ll email you information about how to claim your new card or STA voucher.
Things you should know
Before making a decision about any of our products or services, please read all the terms and conditions. Fees and charges apply and may change.
1. Debit Mastercard holders need to be at least 16 years of age, and have an Australian residential address to be eligible for the card. If you're not eligible for a Debit Mastercard, apply for a Handycard to access your account.
2. A 3% Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee applies to overseas debit or credit card withdrawals. A 2% cash advance fee applies to credit card withdrawals where the "Credit" option is selected. A list of Global Alliance members is available. Excludes American Express® cards. It is important to know that the functionality to withdraw money from a linked Westpac account via Credit Card is not available when using overseas ATMs, including Global Alliance ATMs. To ensure access to Savings and or Cheque account funds when overseas please speak to us about obtaining a Debit Mastercard®.
3. Cardless cash is available on eligible Westpac transaction accounts with a linked debit card. Cardless cash limit of 3 withdrawals per day applies, subject to $500 daily withdrawal limit and $1,000 weekly withdrawal limit. Only available at Westpac ATMs in Australia. To access cardless cash on your mobile you must be registered to use Westpac Online Banking and download the Westpac Mobile Banking App.
4. Android Pay: Read the Android Pay Terms and Conditions before making a decision and consider if it is right for you. Available for eligible cards. To use Android Pay you will need to use a compatible device with a supported operating system.
5. Check the account Terms and Conditions for maximum amount you can withdraw each day.
6. The fee waiver will only apply while you are a full time tertiary student.
Mastercard® and the Mastercard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of Mastercard International Incorporated. American Express is a trademark of American Express. Samsung, Galaxy S and Galaxy Note are trademarks of Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.
St.George Bank, BankSA and Bank of Melbourne are divisions of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141.
^New Westpac Choice customers only. Offer available for full time students, or customers aged 31 years and under. This offer is valid for 90 days from the date your new Westpac Choice account is opened and you are required to have your ID verified before claiming this offer.. This offer only provides you the first year ISIC membership valued at $30. The STA Travel voucher is valid for 12 months from the date of issue and can be used at any local STA Travel store and not online.