How to make a same day (RTGS) payment
Send money from your business account on the same day.
What is RTGS?
An RTGS or Real Time Gross Settlement payment is a special type of payment where the transfer of money takes place from one bank to another within Australia in real time. A fee of $20 is debited from the person making an RTGS payment. The roll-out of the New Payments Platform (NPP) and near real-time payments has replaced the need to send RTGS payments in many cases.
How do I make a same day payment?
- Hover over Payment then select Make a payment
- Select an existing payee you wish to pay, or create a new payee by clicking Pay new payee
- Select the account you wish to pay from using the Select an account dropdown menu and enter the amount to be paid
- Under the Amount, tick the box next to Process this as a same day (RTGS) payment and send a longer payee description. A fee of $20 will apply. Once completed, select Continue.
Note: The checkbox will only appear if the payee is with a bank other than Westpac and eligible to receive an RTGS payment. Payees banking with Westpac will automatically receive their payment on the same day.
- A payment must be created and fully approved before the 3pm (AEST) cut off time
- If a payment is attempted after 3pm (AEST), you will receive a message advising the deadline has passed
- If you are using your Westpac Personal profile, you will need to contact Westpac Help Desk – 1300 655 505 to have this feature enabled
- If you are using a Business Profile, your Administrator can activate this feature in User Administration then Select User then Accounts
- Fees apply for Same Day (RTGS) Payments
- You must have an active Security device
- There is a maximum daily limit for same day (RTGS) payments that a User can approve.