How to make a same day (RTGS) payment
Need to send money in the same day? Find out how.
The roll-out of the NPP and near real-time payments has replaced the need to send Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) payments in many cases. An RTGS payment is a special type of payment where the transfer of money takes place from one bank to another within Australia on a real time basis. Find out more about the NPP.
Step by step guide
Desktop: Select an existing payee you wish to pay, or create a new payee by clicking Pay new payee.
Mobile: Select which account you would like to make the payment from. Then add the payee to the payment. Jump to Step 4.
Desktop: Select the account you wish to pay from using the Select an account dropdown menu and enter the amount to be paid.
Desktop: Under the Amount, select ‘Process this as a same day (RTGS) payment and send a longer payee description. A fee of $20 will apply’. Once completed, select Continue.
Mobile: Under the Payment details, tick ‘Process this as a same day (RTGS) payment and send a longer payee description. A fee of $20 will apply’. Once completed, select Next.
Please note: this checkbox option will only appear if the payee is with a bank other than Westpac and eligible to receive an RTGS payment. Payees banking with Westpac will automatically receive their payment on the same day.
To authorise the payment, enter the SMS code sent to your device and select Authorise.
- Payment must be created and fully approved before the 3pm (AEST) cut off time
- If payment attempted after this time, then a message will appear advising you the deadline has passed
- If you are in your Westpac Live Personal Profile – you will need to contact Westpac Live Help Desk – 1300 655 505 to have this feature available
- If you are in a Business Profile - the Administrator can activate this feature in User Administration > Select User > Accounts
- Fees apply for Same Day (RTGS) Payments
- You must have an active Security device
- There is a maximum daily limit for Same day – RTGS payments that a User can approve.