Westpac Foundation Community Grant recipients, The Social Studio, Collingwood VIC
We believe that we can help to create a more inclusive Australia, together. Our mission is to help change 100,000 lives by 2030, by providing funding and programs to support social enterprises and community organisations in Australia creating jobs and opportunities for those who need it most.
Why we focus on employment
A job means an income and being part of something. Yet there are many people that find it difficult to find a job in the mainstream job market. This could be due to a mental health condition, disability, a young person at risk, homelessness or lack of opportunity. We believe that employment is a powerful pathway out of disadvantage and helps to build stronger more inclusive communities.
Labour force participation for people with disability is 45% lower than overall population¹
11.2% youth unemployment is double the overall unemployment rate², increasing to 20%+ in some regional areas³
Only 17% humanitarian migrants are employed after 18 months in Australia⁴
18.2% unemployment for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples⁵
Future of Work
Technology is changing the future of work, requiring new skills and new ways of working
Sources: 1 Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Survey of Disability, Ageing and Carers, Australia, 2015. 2 Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), October 2018. 3 An unfair Australia? Mapping youth unemployment hotspots, March 2018, Brotherhood of St Lawrence. 4 Settling Better, 2017, Centre for Policy Development. 5 Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) 2016 Census.
- Investing for job creation
- Programs to drive impact
- Helping local communities
- Collaborating for change
Financial investment is just the beginning. We connect the organisations we support to a huge network of Westpac Group employee volunteers as well as programs to help build business expertise to help increase their financial strength and social impact.
- Pro bono skills panels in areas such as HR, Finance, Risk and Marketing
- Business mentoring
- Tailored banking support
- Social Innovation CoLabs
- Workshops e.g. lean design, storytelling, social procurement
- Board Observership Program
- Annual Changemakers Summit
We support small not-for-profits that are making a difference in local communities all around Australia. Since 2012, Westpac Foundation Community Grants have provided $7.6 million to 779 community organisations nationally.
- Community Grants of $10,000 each
- Non-financial support including our Community Grants Ambassador program to help drive impact and access to financial capability programs
We recognise the power of collaboration to help change lives for the better. By measuring our impact, sharing our learnings and building partnerships with businesses, government and the social sector we can create greater impact, together.
- Building partnerships to invest in research to accelerate the growth and impact of employment-based social enterprises
- Convening co-funding opportunities to invest in scaling employment-based social enterprises
- Co-hosting forums to share best practice in grant making and pro bono
- Pro bono partnerships to help build the capability of the social enterprises we support