Most people know that rewards cards come with travel insurance 4 that covers you for costs such as medical expenses, lost luggage and damage to property. But look closely and you may find your card also comes with some cover that you’ve never heard of.
- Cover if your purchases are lost, stolen or damaged
- Extended warranties on your appliances
- Cover to help you get the best price on purchases
Rewards credit cards don’t just give you a way to earn rewards points as you spend on eligible purchases – some also come with a range of insurance and other benefits that apply to things you purchase with your card, at no added cost.
While complimentary insurance 4 isn’t a reason to go on a spending spree, if you were going to buy a certain item anyway, it may be worth putting it on your card for extra peace of mind.
Note that because every card offers different benefits, you should check the details of what’s covered by any complimentary insurance 4 that’s included on your card.
Sometimes called ‘purchase security insurance’, this covers you against loss, theft or accidental damage across a wide range of products. Best of all, it applies to things you buy both in Australia and when you’re travelling overseas.
Keep in mind that there may be limits to the amount you’re covered for and that you might need to make the claim within a certain time after you make the purchase.
Extended warranty insurance could boost the warranty period on purchases that you pay for with your card, provided the purchase meets certain eligibility criteria. This means that if an item is defective or stops working after the Australian warranty period, your complimentary card insurance may have it covered.
Have you ever spotted those designer shoes on sale just days after you bought them at a different store?
Many rewards cards come with complimentary price guarantee cover, which is a handy way to make sure you don’t pay too much for your purchases. It covers personal items you buy with your card, although normally only in Australia. While conditions, limits and eligibility criteria apply, the idea of this cover is that if you see the same thing for a cheaper price soon after buying it, you may be able to claim the difference, up to $300 where there is a price difference of at least $75.
If you’re the sort of shopper who likes to know you’ve got the best price, you might want to consider the Westpac Altitude Platinum credit card and Altitude Black credit card, as both provide complimentary price guarantee cover.
Things you should know
Be credit savvy: Before applying, consider a realistic credit limit and check all conditions, interest rates, fees and charges on your selected card.
Altitude Rewards: You must be a member of the relevant frequent flyer program to redeem Altitude Points for frequent flyer points. The Altitude Rewards Terms and Conditions and the terms and conditions of the relevant frequent flyer program apply. A joining fee may apply. Availability of Reward flights may be limited. For more information on the Altitude Rewards program, visit altituderewards.com.au.
Altitude Velocity: In order to earn and redeem points, you must be a member of the Velocity Frequent Flyer program. An annual $50 Velocity Rewards fee applies for customers who choose to earn Velocity Points through the Altitude Velocity rewards program.
Altitude Qantas: In order to earn and redeem points, you must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. An annual $50 Qantas Rewards fee applies for customers who choose to earn Qantas Points through Altitude Qantas rewards program.
4. Complimentary insurance covers: AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 AFSL 245631 (trading as Allianz Global Assistance) under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac) which allows eligible Westpac cardholders to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. Any advice on insurance is general advice only and not based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. The terms, conditions, limits and exclusions of the group policy are set out in the which may be amended from time to time. Westpac does not guarantee this insurance.
6. Rewards Points: The earning and redemption of Altitude Points, Velocity Points and Qantas Points are subject to the Altitude Terms and Conditions. Purchases that are not eligible to earn Rewards Points are set out in the Altitude Terms and Conditions. You do not receive points if your card account is in arrears for 2 consecutive statement cycles and in other circumstances. Refer to the Altitude Terms and Conditions for information on how you earn points on transactions. Qantas and Velocity Points earned during a statement cycle are added to your respective Points balance on a monthly basis.