Why choose a Westpac Car Loan?
Offer your car as security to get a competitive rate, lock in lower repayments and pay less overall than you could for an unsecured personal loan.
- Borrow between $10,000 and $100,000 for a new or used car (conditions apply).
- Set a loan term that works for you from 1 to 7 years.
- Make extra repayments to pay your loan off sooner (prepayment fee may apply). 5
- Choose a repayment frequency to suit when you get paid - weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
- Manage the whole loan process online if you're set up for online banking - no need to visit a branch.*
Find and value your car
Once approved, use our car search tool to get an indicative cost of the car you want.*
No need to visit a branch
Manage the whole process online from start to finish if you’re set up for internet banking.*
This calculator helps you estimate how much your personal loan repayments could be. 4
Fees that sometimes apply
|Prepayment fee (applies if you choose a term greater than 2 years and pay it out in less than 2 years. This fee is waived if you pay out your personal loan by refinancing to another Westpac personal loan).||$175|
|Declined direct debit fee||$9|
|Missed payment fee||$9|
|Duplicate statement fee||$2|
|Bank cheque fee||$10|
Other fees and charges may be payable. Find out how you can minimise fees and charges on your loan.
When your car loan is approved, you’ll need to provide details of the comprehensive insurance (including third party) issued before the loan funds are made available.
Westpac Car Insurance
There is no obligation to choose Westpac Car Insurance. If you would like to decide whether Westpac Car Insurance is right for you, visit the car insurance page for more information or call 1800 502 077.
Westpac Motor Insurance is issued by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 (Allianz). Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 distributes the insurance, but does not guarantee the insurance. This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Read the Product Disclosure Statement to see if this insurance is right for you. Call 1800 502 077 or visit the car insurance page for more information.
© Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714
What happens if you suddenly lose your job or become unfit for work through illness or injury?
Financial commitments continue even if your income doesn’t. That’s where Westpac Personal Loan Protection3 can help. Depending on individual circumstances, it can cover personal loan repayments until you recover and get back to work. It also helps cover repayments in the event of your death.
- Premiums are included as part of the amount you borrow and so are covered in your car loan repayments.
- Loan protection insurance can easily be included during your car loan application.
Is my car eligible?
The vehicle must have been made in Australia or imported by the manufacturer, and be less than 7 years old at the time of application. If you're unsure of your car's eligibility, please call our Personal Lending Centre on 1300 720 697 to discuss your options.
How do I know if I'm eligible?
- Be aged 18 years or over
- Have regular permanent income
- Be a permanent resident of Australia or,
- Hold an and have confirmed employment in Australia if they are a non-resident.
This loan must be mainly for personal use. To find out more about business loans, see our business vehicle finance.
To find out whether your Visa qualifies you and to apply for a Personal Loan under , please call our Personal Lending Centre on 1300 720 697 to discuss.
What information do I need to provide?
You will need to provide details of your current financial situation. This will include your:
- Current employer’s name, address and main switchboard number
- Recent tax information, if you're self-employed
- Weekly after-tax income for each person applying for the loan
- Asset, savings and investment details plus amounts owing on credit cards, store cards etc.
- Details of other expenses.
We may contact you using the details you provide to help you complete your application. If you’re already a Westpac customer, check that the details we have on record are up to date before proceeding. You can confirm by calling 132 032 or in Westpac Online Banking. Allow 24 hours for records to update.
How can I apply?
Over the phone
Apply over the phone by calling 1300 720 697 (8am - 8pm, 7 days a week).
Apply at your nearest branch.
What happens after I apply?
- We’ll let you know if you’re conditionally approved within 60 seconds. We may need to contact you if we require further information.
- You then have 30 days to find your ideal car.
- Once you've found it, you will need to send us either the car dealer's invoice or registration papers.
- We'll then email you a link to the contract.*
- Finally, accept the contract online for a single application* or head into a branch with proof of full comprehensive insurance to sign the contract in person
- We'll send the electronic funds transfer to the accounts you’ve specified* or issue you a bank cheque you can use to pay the dealer or seller of your new car.
Things you should know
Credit criteria, fees, charges, terms and conditions apply.
Normal lending criteria and car security guidelines need to be met for loan approval.
Whether purchasing new or refinancing a used car, the vehicle has to have been imported to Australia by the manufacturer, and all the lending criteria met.
Comparison rate information
1. The comparison rate is based on a secured loan of $30,000 over the term of 5 years. WARNING: The comparison rate applies only to the example or examples given. Different amounts and terms will result in different comparison rates. Costs such as redraw fees or early repayment fees, and cost savings such as fee waivers, are not included in the comparison rate but may influence the cost of the loan.
2. Interest rate applicable to new loans approved on or after 15 June 2015.
*Single applicants only – this feature is not currently available on joint applications.
More about Westpac Insurance
3. Personal Loan Protection is issued by the insurers who are Westpac General Insurance Limited ABN 99 003 719 319 (WGIL) and Westpac Life Insurance Services Limited ABN 31 003 149 157 (WLIS) each of which is liable for separate risks under the terms of the policy. This insurance product is distributed by Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 (the Bank). The policy is not an investment in or deposit with the Bank. No Westpac Group company (other than the Bank as policy distributor and WGIL and WLIS as the product issuers) has any liability in connection with the policy or this document. The Bank does not guarantee payments under the policy.
4. Any calculation made by you using this calculator is intended as a guide only. It is for illustrative purposes only and is based on the accuracy of the information provided. The calculator does not take stamp duty or other government charges into account. The calculation does not constitute an offer of finance from Westpac.
More about choosing your loan term
5. Our Unsecured Personal Loans have a standard term of 1 to 7 years. If you choose a term greater than 2 years, and pay it out in less than 2 years, there is a prepayment fee of $175. This fee is waived if you pay out your personal loan by re-financing to another Westpac personal loan.
More about conditional approval
#Conditional approval is valid for 30 days based on the understanding that the information you have provided is correct and there will be no significant changes to your financial situation. Before final approval, we will ask you for further details, including information about the car being offered as security. Please note that conditional approval is not a loan offer or formal approval. If your circumstances change, please contact us on 132 032 to discuss your application.