Car hunt with confidence
Why choose a Westpac Car Loan?
- Weekly repayments from $132>> based on a loan of $35,000 over 7 years with a rate of 5.99% p.a.
- Fixed interest rate range from 5.99% p.a. to 12.99% p.a. (comparison rate 7.20% p.a. to 14.14% p.a.^)
- Receive a discounted interest rate~ when you use a Westpac Car Loan to buy an eligible electric and hybrid vehicle
- We can give you your personalised rate and estimated repayments, that's based on your credit score and the loan details you provide to us. Get my rate.
- Borrow $10,000 - $100,000 for a new or used car (conditions apply) ^^
- Weekly, fortnightly or monthly repayments – to align with when you’re paid
- A fixed rate means your repayments stay the same and you know the end date
Did you know?
Securing your loan with the car gives you a better rate than other loan types. If you’re unable to make repayments and haven’t applied for financial hardship, we may reclaim your car. If you don't want to secure the loan or your car isn't eligible to offer as security, you could instead use an Unsecured Personal Loan.
1,250 kWh of free charging for full electric vehicles
Use this loan for a plug-in electric vehicle (EV) and you’ll also enjoy 1,250 kWh of free charging, for up to 12 months, with Australia’s largest public charging network.3
That’s enough for over 7,000km of driving. Or, from Melbourne to Cairns and back with plenty left over.
How to buy a car with a Westpac Car Loan
Get conditional approval
By applying online and getting ‘conditional approval’, you’ll know what your budget really is – great for negotiating.
The application takes around 15 minutes to do, and you’ll get an answer – fast.
Even before you apply for conditional approval, it’s worth checking our borrowing power calculator to help make sure you’re asking for a realistic amount.
Find the right car
Once you have conditional approval you have 30 days to find the right car.
As this is a secured loan, the car needs to be eligible - refer to the ‘before you apply’ tab below for more details.
For electric and hybrid rates, the car must also be on our list of eligible vehicles.
If it’s not, our Car Loan at a regular interest rate or our Unsecured Personal Loan may be more suitable.
Final loan approval
Once you’ve found the car, you’ll need to add its details into your application. We’ll even run an automatic check to make sure its history and value are as claimed.
Note we might also ask for more information about your income etc. before making the loan offer. Credit criteria and terms and conditions apply.
Getting the funds (and getting that car!)
Once you’re approved and have signed the contract online, you can either get a bank cheque, or have the funds sent electronically - direct to the seller.
Get a personalised rate
We give you a personalised rate and estimated repayments based on your credit score and the loan details you provide to us.
Get your personalised rate and an estimate of your repayments for a Car Loan by answering a few questions. If you already bank with us, sign in to save time.
This calculator helps you estimate how much your personal loan repayments could be.**
Our Car Loan comes with a fixed rate, meaning that you have the certainty of a set repayment amount throughout the life of the loan. You can also make extra repayments to pay off your loan faster, giving you the best of both worlds (prepayment fee may apply#).
Key rates and fees
|Rate or fee||Amount|
|Petrol/diesel/LPG annual fixed rate range||5.99% p.a. to 12.99% p.a.|
|Comparison rate range||7.20% p.a. to 14.14% p.a.^|
Around half our customers are offered this rate or lower
|Electric/hybrid fixed rate range||5.49% p.a. to 12.49% p.a.~|
|Comparison rate range||6.70% p.a. to 13.65% p.a.^|
|Lending establishment fee||$250|
|Monthly loan account fee||$12|
Other fees and charges may be payable.
Things you should know
This information is general in nature and has been prepared without taking your objectives, needs and overall financial situation into account. For this reason, you should consider the appropriateness of the information to your own circumstances and, if necessary, seek appropriate professional advice. Please consider your individual circumstances before applying for a Westpac Personal Loan. Credit criteria, fees, charges, terms and conditions apply. Information is correct as of 1 November 2023.
3. Electric car charging offer: Receive 1,250-kWh charging limit to use for up to 12 months across the Australian Chargefox public charging network. After 12 months from offer activation or when the 1,250-kWh charging limit has been reached, charging costs will apply. This offer is available on a Westpac Car Loan that has been approved for a verified eligible electric car and e-contract acceptance confirmed. Within 30 days of e-contract acceptance, a unique voucher will be sent to the email address on the approved Car Loan application with activation instructions and expiry date. Offer is subject to change or be withdrawn at any time.
Example kilometres of over 7,000kms is based on average 15-20-kWhs per 100 kms and should be used as an example only. Car battery size, driver behaviour, temperature and other variables will affect the distance performance. Up to $750 of free charging value is based on $0.60 cost per kWhs for Ultra-rapid charging stations. kWh pricing may be higher or lower depending on the type of charger used. For more information visit https://www.chargefox.com/announcing-a-price-change-to-20-fast-charging-chargefox-stations/
>>Repayment amount examples: help you understand the estimated weekly cost of a personal loan. All repayment amount examples are shown for a loan term of 7 years with a weekly repayment schedule using the average customer loan amount over the last 12 months. Information as of 16 January 2023.
- For a Car Loan based on a borrowing amount of $35,000 and a term of 7 years with an interest rate of 5.99% p.a. (comparison rate 7.20% p.a.), the weekly repayment amount including fees is $132.
^Comparison rates: Comparison rates help you understand the true cost of a loan. All comparison rate examples shown are for a personal loan amount of $30,000 and a term of 5 years. WARNING: Comparison rates apply only to the example or examples given and may not include all fees and charges. Different loan amounts and terms will result in different comparison rates. Costs such as redraw fees or early repayment fees, and cost savings such as fee waivers, are not included in the comparison rate but may influence the cost of the loan.
- Car Loan repayment terms range from 1 to 7 years. Interest rate ranges and representative examples are based on a personal loan of $30,000 borrowed for 5 years with the interest rate of 5.99% p.a. (comparison rate 7.20% p.a.), the estimated total amount payable including fees is $35,801. The actual rate offered may be higher or lower than the comparison example above. Rates currently range from 5.99% p.a. to 12.99% p.a. (comparison rate from 7.20% p.a. to 14.14% p.a.)
#Prepayment fee: If you choose a term greater than 2 years for a Westpac Personal Loan, and pay it out in less than 2 years, there is a prepayment fee of $175. This fee is waived if you pay out your personal loan by re-financing to another Westpac personal loan.
**Repayment calculator: Any calculations made by you using this calculator is intended as a guide only. It is for illustrative purposes only and is based on the accuracy of the information provided. The calculation is not an offer of credit. The amount you can borrow may vary once you complete a loan application and all the details relevant to our lending criteria are captured and verified. The calculations should not be relied on for the purpose of making a decision whether to apply for a personal loan. Weekly and fortnightly repayment calculations – if your monthly repayments are $1000, fortnightly repayments are calculated by dividing $1000 by 2 and rounding up if required ($1000 ÷ 2 = $500). Weekly repayments are calculated by dividing $1000 by 4 and rounding up if required ($1000 ÷ 4 = $250).
##The lending establishment fee will be added to your loan amount. Please read full terms and conditions before making a decision to apply for a Westpac Personal Loan.
^^To qualify for a Car Loan, applicant must meet all credit criteria and the car offered as security must meet all criteria - either new or if used, cannot be older than 7 years at time of application, registered under the applicant's name, has been made locally or imported by the manufacturer, has never been written off (even if it was repaired), has a paid, fully comprehensive insurance policy with Westpac noted as the financier and is for personal use only. The loan amount may exceed the vehicle’s market value, as reported by Redbook, to cover the purchase price of the vehicle and other expenses. If you're using a Westpac Car Loan to buy an electric or hybrid car, check our
~Car Loan for eligible Electric or Hybrid engine types is subject to a 0.5% discount on your personalised interest rate, applied at the time of application. Electric and Hybrid Car Loan interest rates range from 5.49% p.a. to 12.49% p.a. (comparison rate 6.70% p.a. to 13.65% p.a.^)
Credit provided by Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714.