Personal Loan Protection
Whatever your personal loan is for, you can enjoy it more knowing there's help to cover your repayments just in case.
Personal loans are a great lifestyle convenience
But if you become sick or injured and can’t work or suddenly lose your job, that debt could quickly get out of control.
Having Personal Loan Protection to help cover your repayments means you’ll have one less thing to worry about:
- Get your monthly repayments paid if you unexpectedly lose your job, for up to 180 days or until you return to work, whichever happens first
- Get your monthly repayments paid while you’re sick or injured and can’t work
- Have any balance owing paid off up to $100,000 if you pass away (so loved ones aren’t left with this debt)
- You can claim even if entitled to benefits from another source, such as workers compensation, sick leave or Centrelink.
Of course, like all insurance, some exclusions, limits and conditions apply. For example, if you voluntarily resign or accept a voluntary redundancy you aren’t covered for job loss. Also, if you were not working at least 15 hours or more per week when you became unfit for work, you will not be covered.
Personal Loan Protection is easy to arrange
- Simply add the insurance when applying for a Westpac Personal Loan
- No medical examination required to apply1
- You don’t pay more because of age, job, or health record.
1. Please note: An exclusion applies for sickness, injury or disease occurring within 180 days of the commencement date for which you sought or obtained medical advice or treatment during the 180 days prior to the commencement date.
Personal Loan Protection is optional and is available when you apply for our personal loans
Personal Loan Protection will help pay your personal loan repayments if you:
- Lose your job
- Become unfit for work due to sickness, injury, or disease
- Die, it will pay the balance owing on your personal loan up to $100,000.
- 25% discount for two joint borrowers
- No medical examination required when applying
- You don’t pay more because of your age, job, or health record
- You can claim even if you are entitled to benefits from another source, such as workers compensation, sick leave or Centrelink.
How to claim
Lodging a claim is simple
- For Unemployment and Job Loss claims, download the or complete the Online Unemployment/Job Loss Claim form
- For Unfit for Work claims, download the
- Alternatively, you may visit a branch to collect and lodge a claim form.
Information needed when initially making a claim
|Job loss claims||
|Unfit for work claims||
|Death claims||A certified copy of the original death certificate (a claim form isn't required).|
What happens after you claim?
You'll be contacted within 10 working days to either:
- Confirm if your claim has been accepted, or
- Request additional information to help reach a decision on your claim.
Need claim help?
If you have any questions, or would like help completing the claim form, call 1300 369 989.
(8.45am - 5pm, Mon-Fri AEST/AEDT)
Things you should know
Personal Loan Protection is issued by the insurers who are Westpac General Insurance Limited ABN 99 003 719 319 (WGIL) (who issues the unfit for work cover and the job loss cover) and Westpac Life Insurance Services Limited ABN 31 003 149 157 (WLIS) (who issues the death cover). This insurance is distributed by Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 (the Bank). The Bank does not guarantee payments under the policy.
This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Like all insurance, some exclusions, limits and conditions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, read the for the full terms and conditions and to see if Personal Loan Repayment Protection is right for you.