Contactless technology offers you a faster way to pay with your contactless card. For purchases under $100 at participating merchants, you don’t need to swipe or insert your card, enter a PIN or sign. Just hold your contactless card against the terminal wherever you see the contactless symbol or your card logo.
The benefits of contactless
- Speed - there is no need to enter your PIN or sign, so it's ideal when you're in a hurry
- Convenience - it’s like having the exact change every time, so it's ideal for small everyday purchases
- Safety - your card never leaves your hands when you make a purchase
- Security - the Westpac and Mastercard®, or Visa security systems will continue to offer you protection from unauthorised transactions.
How it works
Using contactless cards is simple. Just follow these four easy steps.
- Check that your card has the contactless symbol
- At participating merchants, where you see the contactless symbol, let the merchant know you’d like to pay using your contactless card and whether you’d like a receipt for the transaction
- When the transaction amount is shown on the terminal, hold your card within 4cm of the contactless symbol
- The terminal will indicate once your transaction is approved. Collect your receipt if you asked for one, and you’re done.
Where can I use contactless technology?
You can use your contactless card at participating merchants wherever you see either the contactless symbol or your card's logo.
Is it safe?
Contactless technology offers a fast method of payment for your purchases and is as secure as using your current card in the usual way.
- Trusted providers - All contactless transactions are processed through the reliable and secure Westpac, Mastercard® and Visa networks.
- No accidents - To make a purchase, your card needs to be within 4cm of the contactless terminal for more than half a second, the merchant must have already entered the transaction amount into the terminal and it must be approved. So, you will not be billed twice, even if you accidentally hold your card against the terminal more than once.
- Fraud protection - The 24/7 fraud detection system gives you greater protection from card fraud by highlighting any unusual purchase activity
- Peace of mind - All contactless purchases are highly secure and are backed by our Fraud Money Back Guarantee^, which reimburses cardholders for unauthorised transactions where the cardholder has not contributed to the loss and notified Westpac promptly of the transactions
- Transaction record - If you'd like a receipt to keep a record of the contactless transaction, just ask the merchant before you pay.
If you have a Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 Edge, S6, S6 Edge, S5, S5 Mini, S4, Note 4 Edge, Note 4, you can use it to make everyday purchase. Just hold the back of your mobile to tap and pay on the contactless terminal wherever you see the contactless symbol.
With mobile payments, you’ll enjoy:
- Convenience - use your mobile to pay when you don’t have your wallet on you
- Speed - simply tap your mobile on the contactless terminal to make a payment
- Security - all mobile payments are backed by our Fraud Money Back Guarantee.
Find out more about mobile payments.
Things you should know
Cardholders reimbursed for unauthorised transactions provided the cardholder didn’t contribute to the loss and notified Westpac promptly. Refer to the T&C’s for full details of when cardholders may be liable.
Android and Google Play are trademarks of Google Inc. Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.
Samsung, Galaxy S are trademarks of Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd.
World Mastercard®, Mastercard® and the Mastercard brand mark are registered trademarks, and PayPass is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.
Tap & Go™ is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.
Visa is a registered trademark of Visa Worldwide PTe Limited.