If you’re a bit of a jetsetter, the credit card world is your oyster. In many ways, rewards cards are set up for travellers. That’s because not only can you earn points while travelling, but you can put your points towards even more trips. So it’s a win-win.
On top of this, many of the included benefits that come with rewards cards are most useful for people who travel a lot.
When choosing a card with optimum travel benefits, here are some features to consider:
- A sign-up bonus to get your points off the ground
- Services to make every trip easier
- Travel and purchase insurance 4
Many rewards cards offer a substantial volume of bonus points when you take up a new card. You might want to check out the conditions though, as you may only get your points after spending a minimum amount on your card within a set time.
On top of bonus points, some cards also offer you a discount on your first annual card fee, which could save you hundreds of dollars.
Many rewards cards come with built-in travel benefits like complimentary airport lounge access. And there are also complimentary concierge services that can assist you with travel information and bookings, plus shopping, dining and other activities at home and overseas.
Complimentary travel insurance4 and purchase protection is another feature you might want to look for in a rewards card, and are often included for travel and items you purchase on the card. These can include:
- Overseas travel insurance
- Interstate flight inconvenience insurance
- Transit accident insurance
- Purchase security insurance
- Price guarantee cover
- Extended warranty insurance
- Rental vehicle excess in Australia insurance
If you’d like to learn more about how Westpac’s rewards cards could help you on your next trip, compare our Altitude credit cards side-by-side.
Things you should know
Credit criteria, fees and charges apply.
This information does not take into account your financial needs, individual circumstances or objectives. Read the terms and conditions before making a decision and consider whether the product is appropriate for you.
Be credit savvy: Before applying, consider a realistic credit limit and check all conditions, interest rates, fees and charges on your selected card.
6. Rewards Points: The earning and redemption of Altitude Points and Qantas Points are subject to the Altitude Terms and Conditions. Purchases that are not eligible to earn Rewards Points are set out in the Altitude Terms and Conditions. You do not receive points if your card account is in arrears for 2 consecutive statement cycles and in other circumstances. Refer to the Altitude Terms and Conditions for information on how you earn points on transactions. Qantas Points earned during a statement cycle are added to your respective Points balance on a monthly basis.
Altitude Rewards: You must be a member of the relevant frequent flyer program to redeem Altitude Points for frequent flyer points. The Altitude Rewards Terms and Conditions and the terms and conditions of the relevant frequent flyer program apply. A joining fee may apply. Availability of Reward flights may be limited. For more information on the Altitude Rewards program, visit altituderewards.com.au.
Altitude Qantas: In order to earn and redeem points, you must be a member of the Qantas Frequent Flyer program. An annual $50 Qantas Rewards fee applies for customers who choose to earn Qantas Points through Altitude Qantas rewards program.
Concierge Services are provided by a third party supplier. For further details including terms and conditions visit www.westpac.tenconcierge.com
4. Complimentary insurance covers: AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 AFSL 245631 (trading as Allianz Global Assistance) under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac) which allows eligible Westpac cardholders to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. Any advice on insurance is general advice only and not based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. The terms, conditions, limits and exclusions of the group policy are set out in the which may be amended from time to time. Westpac does not guarantee this insurance.
Westpac is the credit provider and credit licensee under National Consumer Credit Laws.