If you’re a bit of a jetsetter, the credit card world is your oyster. In many ways, rewards cards are set up for travellers. That’s because not only can you earn points while travelling, but you can put your points towards even more trips. So it’s a win-win.
On top of this, many of the included benefits that come with rewards cards are most useful for people who travel a lot.
When choosing a card with optimum travel benefits, here are some features to consider:
- A sign-up bonus to get your points off the ground
- Services to make every trip easier
- Travel and purchase insurance 4
Many rewards cards offer a substantial volume of bonus points when you take up a new card. You might want to check out the conditions though, as you may only get your points after spending a minimum amount on your card within a set time.
On top of bonus points, some cards also offer you a discount on your first annual card fee, which could save you hundreds of dollars.
Many rewards cards come with built-in travel benefits like complimentary airport lounge access. And there are also complimentary concierge services that can assist you with travel information and bookings, plus shopping, dining and other activities at home and overseas.
Complimentary travel insurance4 and purchase protection is another feature you might want to look for in a rewards card, and are often included for travel and items you purchase on the card. These can include:
- International Travel Insurance
- Interstate flight Inconvenience Insurance
- Overseas Transit Accident Insurance
- Purchase Protection Insurance
- Extended Warranty Insurance
- Rental Vehicle Excess Insurance
If you’d like to learn more about how Westpac’s rewards cards could help you on your next trip, compare our Altitude credit cards side-by-side.
Things you should know
Credit criteria, fees and charges apply.
This information does not take into account your financial needs, individual circumstances or objectives. Read the terms and conditions before making a decision and consider whether the product is appropriate for you.
Be credit savvy: Before applying, consider a realistic credit limit and check all conditions, interest rates, fees and charges on your selected card.
Altitude Rewards: You must be a member of the relevant frequent flyer program to redeem Altitude Points for frequent flyer points. The Altitude Terms and Conditions and the terms and conditions of the relevant frequent flyer program apply. A joining fee may apply. Availability of Reward flights may be limited. For more information on the Altitude Rewards program, visit altituderewards.com.au.
Altitude Velocity or Qantas: In order to earn and redeem points, you must be a member of the relevant Frequent Flyer program. An annual $75 Rewards Program fee applies for customers who choose this option.
Concierge Services are provided by a third party supplier. For further details including terms and conditions visit westpac.tenconcierge.com
4. Complimentary insurance covers: AWP Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 AFSL 245631, trading as Allianz Global Assistance (AGA), under a binder from the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFSL 234708 (Allianz), has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac) which allows eligible persons to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. Access to the benefit of cover under the Credit Card Complimentary Insurance is provided to eligible Westpac cardholders by operation of s48 of the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth). If an eligible persons wishes to claim any of these benefits, they will be bound by the eligibility criteria, terms, conditions, limits and exclusions contained in the which may be amended from time to time. This insurance is underwritten by Allianz. Westpac does not guarantee this insurance. This information does not take your personal objectives, circumstances or needs into account. Consider its appropriateness to these factors before acting on it.
6. Rewards Points: The earning and redemption of Altitude Points, Velocity Points and Qantas Points are subject to the . Purchases that are not eligible to earn Rewards Points are set out in the . You do not receive points if you have not paid the Minimum Payment Due in full and on time and in other circumstances. Points earnt for Purchases are based on the full value of the purchase, and not on each instalment amount. Qantas and Velocity Points earned during a statement cycle are added to your respective Points balance on a monthly basis.
For Altitude Qantas Platinum cards, earn 0.5 Qantas Points per $1 up to a maximum of $100,000 spent on eligible purchases annually. For Altitude Qantas Black cards, earn 0.75 Qantas Points per $1 up to a maximum of $250,000 spent on eligible purchases annually. This annual limit resets in January each year, based on your statement date. Bonus Points earned are not part of your annual cap.
Westpac is the credit provider and credit licensee under National Consumer Credit Laws.