Partners in innovative sustainable finance solutions
Building tomorrow’s sustainable world today
We’re helping our clients to drive Australia and New Zealand’s transition to a more sustainable, resilient and inclusive future, and are helping our clients build a better tomorrow with a growing number of landmark transactions over the last 6 months* to support their environmental and social goals through:
- 23 sustainable finance transactions globally
- Totalling $19.7BN2.
Next-generation sustainable finance
We’re pioneers in Australia and New Zealand’s fast-evolving sustainable finance industry, actively banking the energy transition and working with our clients as they move towards a more sustainable future.
- New Zealand Local Government Funding Agency – Market leading Sustainable Financing Bond giving investors an opportunity to support councils to reduce emissions and fund sustainable assets
- Sydney Metro – a Green Loan to support the Sydney Metro-Western Sydney Airport SSTOM project, with an additional Sustainability-Linked Loan overlay during the construction phase
- Arena REIT – one of the first Sustainability-Linked Loans to address emissions from their own operations and assets under management
- Contact Energy – Largest Sustainability-Linked Loan executed in New Zealand in 2022
- North Queensland Airports – Innovative Sustainability-Linked Loan tied to biodiversity
- Pact – 1st Sustainability Linked-Loan in the Australian manufacturing industry
- Tassal – 1st Sustainability-Linked Loan in the Australian aquaculture industry
- AGL Energy – Green Loan to support existing and future firming and renewable energy projects
- Atmos Renewables – Green Loan supporting an operating renewable energy portfolio in Australia
- Brighte – Green Asset Backed and CBI Certified tranche of a Securitisation, supporting solar energy and related assets
- New Zealand Debt Management – inaugural Sovereign Green Bond issued in New Zealand
- Queensland Treasury Corporation – Green Bond to support water infrastructure and low carbon transport
Your partner in building a sustainable future
As Australia’s oldest bank we’ve long been committed to helping our customers build more sustainable business models as:
- We bring a unique understanding of the sustainable finance sector and the rapidly changing requirements and expectations of investors and the wider community to our partnerships
- Our experts work collaboratively to understand your business and deliver tailored transactions with tangible outcomes
- Sharing bespoke industry insights and research to empower decision-making
- We’ve proven experience in structuring transactions with effective and achievable goals.
Sustainable finance insights in Westpac IQ
Things you should know
- To 31 March 2023
- Source: Westpac research. Of the 23 transactions, Westpac contributed $2.1 billion of direct lending and assisted (together with other joint lead managers) with the distribution of $7.3 billion of bonds into the capital markets. Of these transactions, 15 were loans and 8 were bonds. The $19.7, $2.1 and $7.3 billion is the AUD equivalent, converted based on an AUD currency of the transaction spot rate as at the last day of the month of the financial close. Sustainable finance transactions refers to green, social, sustainability, sustainability-linked and re-linked loans and bonds.
Westpac Institutional Bank is a division of Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL 233714. This information is correct as at 5 June 2023. This product is available only to wholesale clients within the meaning of s761G of the Corporations Act 2001. You should consider whether or not this product is appropriate for you. Terms and conditions apply. Copyright 2023 Westpac Banking Corporation.