Farm Management Deposit account
Benefits for your business
- Defer income tax payments while earning interest
- The reassurance of a guaranteed return on your investment
- Avoid market fluctuations with a specific amount locked away¹ at a fixed interest rate
- Can provide tax benefits for deposits ($1K-800K) of a year or more²
- Open online in less than 10 minutes (eligible Westpac customers).
Popular Farm Management Deposit interest rates
These rates are for deposits of between $1,000 and $800,000. Interest is paid at maturity or annually.
Other rates, terms and interest payment frequencies are available.
Open a Farm Management Deposit account
Be up and running in 10 minutes.
We'll get back to you within 1 business day.
What is a Farm Management Deposit (FMD)?
Support for primary producers
The FMD scheme is a government initiative that helps farmers build cash reserves for future needs (such as restocking or replanting) using tax-efficient savings.
A Farm Management Deposit account lets you put excess income to work earning interest in a fixed-term savings account.
Deferred tax payment
Eligible income deposited into an FMD account for a year or more is tax deductible in the financial year of the deposit – and only becomes taxable when it’s withdrawn.3
- 18+ years old
- Individual primary producers operating as sole traders, partners in a partnership, or beneficiaries of a trust
- Operating in Australia with an Australian address
- Minimum deposit of $1,000
- Maximum of $800,000 invested in total across all FMDs held
- Eligible under ATO Farm Management Deposits Scheme requirements.
Not eligible for an FMD? Try a Business Term Deposit.
FAQs about Farm Management Deposits
- Terms of 12 months or less are paid monthly or on maturity
- Terms of 1 to 60 months are paid monthly
- Terms greater than 12 months are paid annually, then at the end of the term
Interim interest payments can be made:
- directly to an account held with Westpac that is in the same name as your Farm Management Deposit account; or
- through direct credit to an account at any Australian financial institution.
Please note that interim interest payments cannot be made back in to your Farm Management Deposit account.
If we do not receive instructions and your Farm Management Deposit rolls over automatically, it may be re-invested at a lower rate than the original fixed interest rate.
At maturity or at the end of any notice period, the principal and any remaining interest instalments can be paid:
- directly to an account held with Westpac that is in the same name as your Farm Management Deposit account;
- by direct credit to an account at any Australian financial institution;
- by bank cheque (fees apply); or
- in cash (advanced notice may be required).
The general principle of a Farm Management Deposit is that you are locking in a specific amount at a set interest rate for a period of time and your funds can't be accessed during that term unless you close your account.
Things you should know
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply.
1. You must provide a minimum of 31 days’ notice to access funds prior to maturity (except in cases of hardship). Early withdrawal may reduce returns.
2. Please refer to the ATO Farm Management Deposits Scheme special legislative requirements to ensure you comply.
3. Funds need to be held in a Farm Management Deposit for a minimum of 12 months (except in certain circumstances) to qualify for the tax benefit.
The taxation position described is general in nature and should not be relied upon as a complete or definitive statement of the law and its application to your circumstances; and it does not constitute tax advice. Westpac recommends you obtain specific tax and financial advice on your own position from suitably qualified advisers before opening an FMD account.
This information does not take your personal objectives, circumstances or needs into account. Consider its appropriateness to these factors before acting on it and read the Terms and Conditions before deciding.