What is card fraud?
There are many different types of credit card fraud, but at its simplest, it's when someone obtains your card details and make transactions on your card without you knowing.
You may not be aware that your card has been used fraudulently until:
You receive your statement and find there are transactions that you didn't make.
- Contact us immediately
- Altitude Business: 132 142
Or if outside Australia +61 3 6345 1058 (outside Australia)
- BusinessChoice Rewards and Everyday: 1300 650 107
Or if outside Australia +61 2 9293 9270 (outside Australia)
- Our Fraud Detection Team advises you on unusual activity on your card and asks if the charges are yours
- We will send you an SMS (text) to confirm the transaction, and ask you to text back with your confirmation.
Westpac's Fraud Money Back Guarantee
Our Westpac Fraud Money Back Guarantee ensures that customers will be reimbursed for any unauthorised transactions provided that the customer has not contributed to the loss and contacted Westpac promptly. Refer to your card's conditions of use for full details, including when a customer will be liable.
What does Westpac do when there is suspected fraud on your card?
- We'll stop your card and companion cards (and the card of any additional cardholders) and issue new cards
- We will provide you with a case number and send you a 'Transaction Investigation Request' form which outlines the list of transactions you believe are fraudulent
- You'll need to confirm the details and sign the form then return it to us within 14 days of receipt
- We'll complete the investigation and if the decision is in your favour, refund the fraudulent transactions. Cases can take up to 21 working days to be resolved.