Project Trust Account and Retention Trust Account
If your construction project is located in Queensland, you may be required by law to open Project Trust Accounts and Retention Trust Accounts1.
What’s a Project Trust Account?
Project Trust Accounts are designed for construction projects in Queensland, to help you comply with your banking requirements under the Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payment) Act 20172. An account must be opened for each project trust to receive payments made under the construction contract, and to pay contractors.
What’s a Retention Trust Account?
A Retention Trust Account must also be opened when the construction contract includes a requirement to hold cash retention amounts. It’s used to hold cash retention amounts for eligible contracts until payments to contractors are made. You can have one or more Retention Trust Accounts for your eligible contracts.
- Assists you to comply with the Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payment) Act 2017 when holding funds for contractors
- Gives your contractors confidence that funds are available
- Allows you to make electronic payments quickly and easily
- Provides a clear view of contractor finances
- Find your nearest branch to open an account
- Call us on 132 142, 8am - 8pm AEST, Monday – Friday for more information
What you’ll need
If you don’t already have one, you’ll need a Westpac business transaction account for any bank and government fees to be charged to, and to receive interest.
- 18+ years old (applicant plus all signatories)
- Operating in Australia with an Australian address
- Party to a building or construction contract that’s eligible under the Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payment) Act 2017
Project Trust Accounts and Retention Trust Accounts are governed by the Queensland Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payment) Act 2017. You’ll need to comply with its requirements, which include:
- Withdrawals from accounts can only be used as payments to beneficiaries as required by law
- Limits to account access (e.g., no cash transactions, and no access to debit cards, cheques and deposit books)
- Account naming conventions
Frequently asked questions
A Project Trust Account is an account through which all payments required by the construction contract (except any cash retention amounts) are received and paid. All payments (except any cash retention amounts) relating to the project must be paid into and disbursed from this account in accordance with the requirements of the legislation.
Things you should know
Before making a decision about any of our products or services, please read all the terms and conditions. Fees and charges apply and may change.
- These accounts are used for construction contracts when required by the Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payment) Act 2017. These accounts are also overseen by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission. For more information, go to qbcc.qld.gov.au
- The Building Industry Fairness (Security of Payment) Act 2017 is governed by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission, and applies to construction companies that operate in Queensland. For more information, go to qbcc.qld.gov.au
- For further information on additional fees, go to
- This information doesn’t take your personal objectives, circumstances or needs into account. Consider its appropriateness to these factors before acting on it. Read the disclosure documents for your selected product or service, including the , Target Market Determination, or Product Disclosure Statement and consider whether the product or service is right for you.