We believe in respecting basic human rights in everything we do.
Respecting and advancing human rights helps us to achieve our vision to help our customers, communities and people to prosper and grow, and reflects our belief that all people are entitled to basic rights and freedoms without discrimination.
We recognise that we have both a responsibility to respect human rights, and opportunities to positively impact human rights, across our value chain.
- Financial services provider;
- Purchaser of goods and services; and
- Supporter of communities.
Salient Human Rights
We prioritise those issues with the biggest adverse impacts on people – our current salient human rights issues:
- Managing and protecting the privacy rights of individuals by complying with applicable privacy laws and using or disclosing information in ways that individuals would reasonably expect;
- Customer vulnerability where personal or financial circumstances make an individual more susceptible to disadvantage;
- Exclusion and discrimination in employment affecting an individual’s full participation in employment; and
- Unfair wages and working conditions for workers in our value chain impacting prosperity, security and standards of living.
We report on our salient human rights issues as part of our annual Sustainability Performance Reporting.
Modern slavery covers a range of exploitative practices including human trafficking, slavery, forced labour, child labour and other slavery-like practices.
With the introduction of the Modern Slavery Act in Australia, we are working to identify areas of uplift required to meet its requirements. We will be publishing our first Australian Slavery and Human Trafficking Statement in 2021, reporting on our activities for the FY20 period. Due to our operations in the UK, we have been reporting in accordance with the UK Modern Slavery Act since 2016.
In the event of a concern or grievance, you can contact Westpac Group in the following ways:
- Customers: Feedback and complaints
- Suppliers, or workers in Westpac Group’s supply chain:
Any member of the public is able to contact the Group Sustainability team via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by post 275 Kent Street, Sydney NSW 2000 Australia.