Westpac Group commits $200,000 to bushfire recovery efforts
11 November 2019
Westpac Group has today announced it will donate $200,000 to The Salvation Army Emergency and Disaster Appeal to support communities affected by the devastating bushfires in New South Wales and Queensland.
The donation will assist The Salvation Army’s Emergency Services team with helping evacuees and emergency services, as well as support the rebuild and recovery phases to come.
“We know this is a challenging and confronting time for the communities affected by the catastrophic bushfires in New South Wales and Queensland”, said David Lindberg, Westpac Group Chief Executive, Consumer.
“While this situation is still unfolding, we wanted to show our support through backing the incredible efforts of The Salvation Army Emergency Services team, who are on-the-ground providing practical and emotional support for those who need it the most.
“We hope the $200,000 donation from Westpac Group will go some way towards assisting The Salvation Army with their emergency response, as well as the long-term recovery effort to help get residents back on their feet,” Mr Lindberg said.
Westpac and St.George are proactively contacting insurance customers in affected areas to offer assistance with making a claim. Insurance customers can also contact Westpac on 1300 369 989 or St.George on 1300 655 489 to lodge a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
In addition, Westpac and St.George customers who are facing hardship as a result of the bushfires can access a special Disaster Relief Package, including:
- Impacted home loan customers may apply to defer repayments for up to three months;
- Affected businesses can request loan restructuring without incurring the usual bank fees such as establishment fees and break costs;
- Westpac and St.George may waive interest rate adjustments for affected customers wishing to withdraw term deposits; and
- Impacted customers with Home and Contents insurance may be eligible to receive assistance under the terms of their insurance policies for emergency accommodation.
The Disaster Relief Package is available for customers to access within three months. Customers wanting more information can contact the following:
- Westpac customers can call 1800 067 497 or contact their local Bank Manager.
- St.George customers can phone 1800 629 795 or contact their local Bank Manager.
Westpac branches are accepting cash donations on behalf of The Salvation Army Emergency and Disaster Appeal to help support those impacted by the bushfires.
For further information:
Westpac Media Relations
M: 0434 699 605