Westpac provides disaster relief package for customers impacted by recent bushfires in Western Australia
13 January 2014
Westpac today announced a relief package to assist customers who are suffering hardship as a result of the bushfires across Western Australia.
Westpac’s Disaster Relief Package offers immediate financial help to customers affected by the bushfires, with Westpac staff providing additional support for those in need through the local branches and contact centres.
“Our thoughts are with those Australians who have been affected by the recent bushfires in Western Australia,” said Ken Luehman, Regional General Manager, Westpac.
“At Westpac, we understand that times like these can be extremely hard - emotionally, physically but also financially. By offering support to our customers, we hope to help alleviate any concern they have with their financial commitments so that they can concentrate on more important issues at hand.”
“We are also fast-tracking insurance claims and our assessors are ready to assist all Westpac customers in the worst affected areas."
The Disaster Relief Package offers:
- Affected customers with Westpac home loans may apply to defer repayments for up to three months.
- Affected businesses with existing loans can request loan restructuring without incurring the usual bank establishment fees.
- Affected credit card customers may request an emergency credit limit increase.
- Affected credit card customer may apply to defer repayments to their card for up to 90 days.
- Customers wishing to purchase replacement goods may apply for a personal loan at a discounted interest rate with no establishment fee.
- Westpac will waive interest rate adjustments for affected customers wishing to withdraw term deposits.
- Affected Westpac customers with Home and Contents insurance may be eligible to receive assistance including emergency funds and temporary accommodation.
Customers experiencing severe hardship will also be offered a halt on all interest accrual on unsecured credit products for a period of up to three months.
Westpac customers who wish to utilise these special relief measures or need assistance should contact Westpac on 1300 731 073, Westpac Assist on phone 1800 067 497, or alternatively call their local Bank Manager.
All affected customers should contact us on 1300 369 989 so that we can assist with temporary accommodation and emergency funds. Claims can be lodged 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling this number.
Our assessors are on the ground and ready to assist all customers in the worst affected areas. Customers should not put themselves at risk by going into affected areas to retrieve insurance documents or to take photographs. We understand proof of loss may not be possible and we will accept the word of customers in these instances.
* Westpac Home & Contents Insurance is issued by Westpac General Insurance Limited and distributed by Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 (the Bank). The Bank does not guarantee the insurance.