Lights off for Earth Hour 2011
24 March 2011
The Westpac Group’s lights and sky signage in its corporate offices across Australia will be switched off on Saturday March 26 to show support for Earth Hour.
Westpac Group General Manager, Corporate Affairs and Sustainability, David Bell, said Earth Hour is a reminder for everyone to consider ways in which they can reduce their impact on the environment.
“Through our work on climate change issues, the Westpac Group is driving awareness and action for staff, customers and their communities to adapt and take advantage of the low-carbon economy of the future.
“We have taken responsibility for our environmental footprint by reducing Westpac’s emissions by almost 40% since 1996, which is equivalent to taking 18,888 cars off the road for a year,” Mr Bell said.
The Westpac Group is committed to an aggressive overall emissions reduction target of 30% by 2013, and will continue to develop products and services to help customers reduce their own carbon footprint.
"Sustainability is deeply embedded in our culture and reducing our impact on the environment has been a key priority for The Westpac Group for more than 15 years.”
"We also encourage employees to participate in Earth Hour at both work and home, by switching off lights and all non-essential electrical items, such as computers, photocopiers and printers," said Mr Bell. Earth Hour begins at 8.30pm local time, Saturday, 26 March 2010.
Action for Earth Hour
- The Westpac Group (including Westpac, St.George, BankSA and BT) will turn off the on-floor lights in most of its corporate offices across Australia for Earth Hour.
- In Sydney, The Westpac Group’s three main buildings (Westpac Place, 60 Martin Place and 182 George St), will be completely dark, apart from essential security lighting.
- At all other corporate offices, all occupied floor lights will be turned off. As a tenant at various sites, The Westpac Group is also working with the relevant building owners to encourage full participation in Earth Hour.
- All sky signs of The Westpac Group will be turned off, including the iconic ‘barometer’ on the top of Westpac Place in Sydney and the sky signs on St.George's 182 George St head office and Westpac House, Adelaide's tallest building.
- The Westpac Group will maintain all essential security lighting, (including ATMs) to ensure employee and customer safety.
- Key Westpac, St.George and BankSA branches will be participating for Earth Hour.
- Employees and customers are encouraged to participate in Earth Hour.
For further information on The Westpac Group’s commitment to corporate responsibility and sustainability visit /about-westpac/sustainability-and-community/
For Earth Hour information and to measure your environmental footprint, visit http://www.earthhour.org.au
About Earth Hour
At 8.30 pm on Saturday 26 March 2011, millions of people around the world will turn off their lights for one hour, Earth Hour, to show that we can all choose to make a difference. WWF-Australia is encouraging everyone to make one commitment for the year to reduce their impact on the environment.