Westpac Group donates $400,000 to Queensland flood victims
30 December 2010
Acting Westpac Chief Executive Officer, Peter Hanlon, today announced that the Westpac Group will be providing a total commitment of at least $400,000 over the next 12 months to assist those affected by the Queensland floods. This includes:
- an immediate cash donation of $200,000 to the Queensland Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal; and
- a further $200,000 funding for infrastructure, redevelopment initiatives and staff matching gifts that will take the total Westpac commitment to $400,000.
“We know it is a very tough time for families and businesses. Not only are crops destroyed, many people will not be able to return to their homes for some time. As one of Queensland’s largest businesses we want to assist our customers, staff and the community recover as quickly as possible," Mr Hanlon said.
Westpac has also put together a relief package which offers practical help by deferring some loan repayments and waiving fees. The relief package offers:
Affected customers with Westpac home loans may apply to defer repayments for up to three months.
- Affected businesses with existing loans should contact their relationship manager for assistance.
- Affected credit card customers may request an emergency credit limit increase.
- Affected credit card customer may apply defer payments to their card for 90 days.
- Customers wishing to purchase replacement goods may apply for a personal loan at a discounted rate with no establishment fee.
- Westpac will waive interest penalties for affected customers wishing to withdraw term deposits.
- Affected Westpac customers with home and contents insurance may be eligible to receive assistance including emergency funds and temporary accommodation.
Westpac customers who wish to utilise these special relief measures or need assistance with lost credit cards or insurance should contact Westpac Telephone Banking on 132 032, Business Direct on phone 132 142, Westpac Assist on phone 1800 067 497 or their business banking relationship manager.