Westpac Community Confidence Index
The Westpac Community Confidence Index is designed to measure the health and optimism of the community sector in Australia. This 2nd edition of the Index focuses on:
- Financial security
- Workplace operations
- Future prospects.
The findings play an important role in helping to build social capital, as well as highlighting the challenges and opportunities facing the Social Sector. Features of the 2nd edition of the Index include:
- The index has declined by 6 points since 2011
- 88% of NFPs are confident that they can achieve their objectives in the next 12 months, compared with 85% in 2011.
Income and funding
- When asked about current sources of funding, 13% selected online donations while only 1% selection mobile donations
- When looking for future sources of income, online and mobile donations remain relatively low, at 10% and 2% respectively.
- In the last 6 months, NFPs experienced a significant increase in income from the following sources:
Sales of Goods (27%)
Online donations (26%)
Mobile donations (18%)
- Government funding has decreased across all levels, including:
State Government Funding (from 54% in 2011 to 42% in 2013)
Federal Government Funding (42% in 2011 to 33% in 2013)
Local Government Funding (25% in 2011 to 22% in 2013)
- Nearly half of organisations (43%) are not aware of the Federal Government’s plans to reform the Social Sector
- For those that are aware, 38% believe that they will have a positive impact on their organisation, while 54% feel indifferent about their impact.
- Social media figured much more prominently in the 2013 Index, with usage having increased from 36% to 50% over the last 2 years
- Almost 1 in 3 NFPs seek to utilise social media more but would like further information or knowledge.
Like to know more?
Read a summary of the Westpac Community Confidence Index 2013 edition (PDF 1.14mb)
Read the full version of the Westpac Community Confidence Index 2013 edition (PDF 1.55mb)
Read the full Westpac Community Confidence Index October 2011 edition (PDF 4.4mb)
- Read a summary of the Westpac Community Confidence Index 2013 edition (PDF 1.14mb)
- Read the full version of the Westpac Community Confidence Index 2013 edition (PDF 1.55mb)
- Read the April issue of Cause & Effect (PDF 749kb)
- You could get up to 50% off the standard cost of a short course at Westpac's Davidson Institute