Accessing money overseas
Things to keep in mind
- A Westpac Debit MasterCard® lets you access your own money to make purchases, wherever MasterCard is accepted. You can also use your Debit MasterCard to withdraw local currency from ATMs.
- You can use your Handycard to withdraw local currency from selected ATMS where Cirrus is accepted.
- For Credit Cardholders who currently withdraw money in Australia from linked Savings or Cheque account, it is important to know that this functionality may not be available when using overseas ATMs, including Global ATM Alliance ATMs. To ensure access to a Savings and/or Cheque account when overseas please speak to us about obtaining a Debit MasterCard for these accounts.
- A 3% Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee applies to overseas debit or credit card withdrawals. A 2% cash advance fee applies to credit card withdrawals where the "Credit" option is selected.
- Some overseas banks may charge a fee for withdrawals. This will be brought to your attention before you proceed with the transaction and can be avoided by using one of our Global ATM Alliance network ATMs.
- The daily withdrawal limit for a Debit MasterCard and Handycard is A$1000. This limit can be increased to a maximum of $2,000 by visiting a Westpac branch or calling Telephone Banking on 132 032.
- You may wish to carry some Foreign cash to make it easier to pay for incidental expenses like fares and tips.
Things you should know
1. Over 3,000 Westpac Group ATMs in Australia and over 50,000 ATMs via Global ATM Alliance partners. A 3% Westpac Foreign Transaction Fee applies to overseas debit or credit card withdrawals. A 2% cash advance fee applies to credit card withdrawals where the "Credit" option is selected, Some Global Alliance ATMs require you to select the "credit" option. A list of Global Alliance members is available. Excludes American Express card.
MasterCard® is a registered trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated. Customers must be 16 or older and have an Australian residential address to be eligible for a Debit MasterCard®. If you’re not eligible, you may be offered a Handycard to access your account.