Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to accessibility page Skip to search input

Did you know you can make super contributions for your spouse?

While there are certain conditions, it’s worth considering because you may be eligible for an income tax offset if your spouse's total income* for the financial year is less than $13,800. You may be able to claim an income tax offset of up to $540.

You can make super contribution to your spouse if they are working or not, and are not aged 70 or over.

If aged between 65 and 69, you will need to have been in paid work for at a minimum of 40 hours over 30 consecutive days during the financial year in which you want to make the super contribution on behalf of your spouse.

For more information spouse contributions, please refer to Superannuation spouse contribution tax offset.

* 'total income' for these purposes is assessable income + reportable fringe benefits + reportable employer superannuation contributions

Things you should know

This is general information only and does not constitute any recommendation or personal advice. It has been prepared without taking account of your objectives, financial situation or needs. It is current as at 31 March 2015, and is subject to change.

The taxation position described is a general statement and should only be used as a guide. It does not constitute tax advice and is based on current tax laws and our interpretation. It has not been prepared by a registered tax agent. You should seek independent professional tax advice from a registered tax agent about any liabilities, obligations or claim entitlements that arise, or could arise, under a taxation law.

Superannuation is a long-term investment. The Government has placed restrictions on when you can access your preserved benefits. The Government has set caps on the amount of money you can add to superannuation each year on a concessionally taxed basis. In addition, the Government has set a non-concessional contributions cap. For more detail, speak with a financial adviser or visit the ATO website.

There is no charge for accepting any rollovers, however before requesting the rollover, you should check with your other fund(s) to determine whether there are any exit fees for moving your benefit, or other loss of benefits (e.g. insurance cover). There may be limited circumstances where your employer is not required to accept your Choice of Superannuation fund form e.g. if you have already exercised Super Choice in the last 12 months.

This information may contain material provided by third parties and is given in good faith and has been derived from sources believed to be accurate at its issue date. Information that has been provided by third parties has not been independently verified and the Westpac Group is not in any way responsible for such information.

© Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714