Westpac Living Insurance
Help to alleviate financial stress after a traumatic diagnosis.
Helps cover the medical and lifestyle costs incurred after suffering a specified medical event, such as cancer, a stroke or heart attack.
Living Insurance is available through Westpac Protection Plans and pays a lump sum if you suffer a specified medical condition such as cancer, a stroke or a heart attack.
You can apply for cover up to $2 million, however, for some occupations we may limit the maximum amount of cover.
Some of the key features include:
- Flexible levels of cover. You have the option to increase or decrease cover to ensure the policy continues to suit your needs, no matter what life stage you're at
- Living Insurance can be added to Term Life insurance or taken as a standalone policy
- Guaranteed renewable (as long as premiums are met) and your sum insured automatically increases annually in line with any CPI changes, unless you request otherwise
- Apply from age 15 to 59. Cover can continue to age 75 (see 'Features' for age conditions)
- Dedicated consultant can make any claims experience as easy as possible
- Loyalty beneﬁt if you hold a policy for 3 or more years
- Worldwide cover - 24 hours a day
- 5% multi-policy discount applies if you’re covered by more than one eligible Westpac Protection Plans policy.
Entry age ranges and conditions
The maximum age you can apply for a policy depends on the type of premium structure you choose for your policy. Westpac Protection Plans provide the following premium structures for Living Insurance:
- Stepped premium - if you're aged 15 to 59
- Level 65 premium - if you're aged 15 to 59
- Level 55 premium - if you're aged 15 to 49.
See 'Fees' for more information on premium structures.
No matter what your premium structure, cover can continue to age 75. However, some benefits may end prior to this date.
Benefits included with Westpac Protection Plans Living Insurance include:
- Advancement Benefit - you’ll receive a partial payment of your Living Benefit for additional speciﬁed medical events
- Financial Planning Benefit - you’ll receive up to $5,000 for the preparation of a ﬁnancial plan following the payment of a Death, Terminal Illness, Total and Permanent Disablement, or Living Benefit
- Counselling Benefit - you’ll receive up to $5,000 for a maximum of 10 days following the payment of a Death, Terminal Illness, Total and Permanent Disablement, or Living Benefit.
You can also choose Living Benefit Plus, which provides even more comprehensive cover.
There are a number of different ways to structure your premiums, depending on your needs. Westpac Protection Plans allow you to choose the premium structure that works best for you:
Stepped premiums - premiums are calculated each year, and will change based on increase in age and the amount of cover. The premium will generally increase every year.
Level premiums - premiums are calculated based on your age at the commencement of the policy, and will not increase each year due to age increases. When the specified period of time has elapsed, the premium will revert to a stepped premium structure until age 75.
For both stepped and level premiums, your premiums may increase in certain circumstances, such as; if your sum insured increases, with Consumer Price Index increases, and when we increase the policy fee.
Westpac Protection Plans also provide you with flexibility by giving you a number of different ways to pay your premiums. Premiums can be paid by direct debit, an accepted credit card, or cheque (if paying annually).
Generally, the amount of your premium depends on a number of variables, including:
- The amount of cover, whether premiums are stepped or level, and frequency of payments
- Any optional beneﬁts selected
- Your age, occupation, gender, smoking status, health and family medical history
- Any discounts that may apply.
The premium includes a policy fee that increases by the same amount as the Consumer Price Index on 1 October each year. As at 1 October 2013, this annual policy fee was $85.50.
You or your representative should contact Westpac Life Insurance as soon as a claim needs to be made.
Call 131 817, 8am - 6.30pm, Mon - Fri, (Sydney time).
Westpac Life Insurance is here to help and make the process as easy as possible with a dedicated claims consultant.
Things you should know
Information provided is for new applicants only. Existing customers should refer to their Policy Schedule for Terms and Conditions relating to their individual policy.
The Insurer of Westpac Protection Plans is Westpac Life Insurance Services Limited ABN 31 003 149 157 ('the Insurer'). Westpac Protection Plans are issued by the Insurer except for Term Life as Superannuation and Income Protection as Superannuation which are issued by Westpac Securities Administration Limited ABN 77 000 049 472 ('WSAL') as trustee of the Westpac MasterTrust ABN 81 236 903 448, and distributed by Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 ('the Bank'). The Insurer and WSAL are wholly owned subsidiaries of the Bank. The Bank does not guarantee payments under the policy.
This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Like all insurance, some exclusions, limits and conditions apply. Before making a decision about this insurance, read the for the full terms and conditions and to see if Westpac Protection Plans are right for you.