Building only insurance
With Westpac Landlord Insurance you get the choice of 2 levels of comprehensive building cover; and optional cover in case tenants don’t do the right thing.
- Save 15% off your annual premium for the first year when you apply online and enter the promotional code COVER.
- Comprehensive cover for storm, flood, fire, theft and more
- Valuable extra cover included such as a sum insured safety net in case repair or replacement costs are higher than expected, and loss of rent (in Quality Care)
- Optional cover for tenants causing malicious damage, defaulting on rent payments and theft
- Discounts to help you save on your premium.
No matter what level of cover you choose, these events are covered as standard. Of course, like all policies, some exclusions, limits and conditions apply.
- Escape of liquid
- Malicious acts, riot and civil commotion
- Legal liability up to $20 million.
Here are some key differences between the 2 levels of cover.
|Essential Care||Quality Care|
Compare the differences on the full list of insured events and extra benefits.
Add optional Landlord Extras to any level of cover for protection against tenants for theft, malicious damage or rent default.
After an insured event (and sometimes even without one), related expenses and extra benefits are automatically covered.
Landlord building benefits paid in addition to your building sum insured
|Sum insured safety net||Up to 10% of the sum insured||Up to 20% of the sum insured|
|Demolition and removal of debris||Up to 10% of the sum insured||Up to 10% of the sum insured|
|Rainwater tanks and solar heating||
|Up to $3,000|
Landlord building benefits paid as part of your building sum insured
|Emergency repairs and protection||
|Professional fees||Up to 10% of the sum insured||Up to 10% of the sum insured|
|Building laws and regulations||Up to 10% of the sum insured||Up to 10% of the sum insured|
|Fire brigade charges||Up to $5,000||Up to $5,000|
|Landlord fixtures and fittings||
|Up to $20,000|
|Loss of rent||
|Up to 10% of the sum insured
or for up to 12 months
whichever is less
|Sum insured automatic indexation|
|Locks and keys||Up to $1,000|
Add optional Landlord Extras for cover against certain events caused by tenants such as theft, malicious damage or defaulting on rent payments.
|Malicious acts or theft by tenants||Up to your sum insured|
|Loss of rent due to default by tenants (but not for casually let properties)||Up to $1,000 per week/ max 10 weeks|
|Legal expenses due to rent default||Up to $5,000|
|Denial of access to tenant by Government authority||Up to $1,000 per week/ max 52 weeks|
|Damage caused by pets||Up to $500|
Do you need a rental agreement with your tenants?
A Landlord Extras claim will only be paid if you’re able to provide certain documents and evidence such as:
- A written rental agreement
- A documented booking confirmation (for casually-let properties)
- Documented property inspection reports.
The rental agreement should state the term of the lease, the amount of rent and bond payable by the tenant/s.
There’s no extra fee to pay monthly, and you can save on your premium if you qualify for one or more of these discounts:
- No claim bonus
- If you have a Westpac Premier Advantage Package loan (please call or visit us to receive this discount).
Your online quote will automatically include the discounts you’re eligible for, unless otherwise stated above. The cost of your premium is made up of a wide range of factors and some of your choices may also help reduce your premium.
Generally speaking, here's how your choices may affect your premium:
- Choosing a voluntary claim excess. The higher the voluntary claim excess chosen, the lower your premium: $250, $500, $1,000, $2,000, $5,000
- Choosing a lower level of cover e.g. the premium for Essential Care is less than Quality Care.
Things you should know
Landlord Insurance is issued by Westpac General Insurance Limited ABN 99 003 719 319 (except workers compensation cover where applicable). Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 distributes the insurance, but does not guarantee the insurance. This information does not take into account your personal circumstances. Read the Product Disclosure Statement to see if this insurance is right for you.